SSW - Why do men get hair in strange places?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JDs

Curly Hair Geek
Reaction score
Why when older men start losing their hair, do they start getting hair growing out of their ears?

Just like us women ...it all goes South!

They do it on purpose so they don't have to listen to us asking them to do stuff around the house.:lol:

Teri x:hug:

We all grow hair in "odd places" as we get older and thin in other areas the same as men,as we get older.

Our hair is determined by age,hormones,medication be it male or female.

Have a look at some pics of old ladies and you will see they are more or less the same as the old men,thinning hair,hairy faces,gosh we have got a lot to look forward to havn't we???lol

As men and women age, a decrease in the female sex hormones leads to a higher percentage of male hormones (androgens such as testosterone) kicking around the body, which are responsible for the growth of darker, coarser terminal hair. Unruly ear and nose hair is a natural consequence of this (and of course chaps have a higher dominance of androgens to start with).

Unfortunately, higher levels of a particularly potent form of testosterone called dihydrotestosterone (DHT) are known to be partly responsible for male-pattern baldness. Unluckily for chaps, an enzyme called 5-alpha-reductase transforms regular testosterone into DHT, and this little blighter is especially prominent in the scalp.

So, whilst higher levels of testosterone will lead to more terminal hair sprouting in strange and wonderful places elsewhere on the body, when it comes into contact with this particular enzyme in the scalp it gets transformed into DHT and this actually then leads to hairloss.

Something tells me this was Mother Nature's little joke at the expense of us menfolk... lucky, lucky us :D

Andy x

Something tells me this was Mother Nature's little joke at the expense of us menfolk... lucky, lucky us :D

Andy x
Hey Andy - you men think you have it bad - what about us women and the white coarse witchy chin hair? :lol: Not am I only turning into my mother :eek: :eek: :eek: if I grow anymore chin hair :wink2: and hubby grows a beard - WE WILL STICK TOGETHER LIKE A PIECE OF VELCRO :lol: :eek: :lol: :eek: :lol: Now Mother Nature is definitely having a laugh and I don't know why??????:lol:

Hey Andy - you men think you have it bad - what about us women and the white coarse witchy chin hair? :lol: Not am I only turning into my mother :eek: :eek: :eek: if I grow anymore chin hair :wink2: and hubby grows a beard - WE WILL STICK TOGETHER LIKE A PIECE OF VELCRO :lol: :eek: :lol: :eek: :lol: Now Mother Nature is definitely having a laugh and I don't know why??????:lol:

LOL, fair point Debs - somebody somewhere is definitely having a giggle at our expense! :eek: :lol: Either that or there was a design flaw somewhere along the line! :wink2:

LOL, fair point Debs - somebody somewhere is definitely having a giggle at our expense! :eek: :lol: Either that or there was a design flaw somewhere along the line! :wink2:
What can I say Andy ??? - except that if we din't have all this hair then we wouldn't have to wax - then where would we be??? :lol: :hug:

As men and women age, a decrease in the female sex hormones leads to a higher percentage of male hormones (androgens such as testosterone) kicking around the body, which are responsible for the growth of darker, coarser terminal hair. Unruly ear and nose hair is a natural consequence of this (and of course chaps have a higher dominance of androgens to start with).

Unfortunately, higher levels of a particularly potent form of testosterone called dihydrotestosterone (DHT) are known to be partly responsible for male-pattern baldness. Unluckily for chaps, an enzyme called 5-alpha-reductase transforms regular testosterone into DHT, and this little blighter is especially prominent in the scalp.

So, whilst higher levels of testosterone will lead to more terminal hair sprouting in strange and wonderful places elsewhere on the body, when it comes into contact with this particular enzyme in the scalp it gets transformed into DHT and this actually then leads to hairloss.
:D

Andy x
You are spot on Andy!! Good job!

can you define the term .... terminal hair ...please

can you define the term .... terminal hair ...please

Terminal Hair:

" deep rooted, thick, coarse, pigmented hair found on the scalp, underarms, pubic region, eyelash and brow areas." (beauty therapy, the foundations, Lorraine Nordmann)

Terminal Hair:

" deep rooted, thick, coarse, pigmented hair found on the scalp, underarms, pubic region, eyelash and brow areas." (beauty therapy, the foundations, Lorraine Nordmann)

ahh i see , as apposed to the soft downy hair that covers the rest of the body. thankyou.

ahh i see , as apposed to the soft downy hair that covers the rest of the body. thankyou.

Yes - that is correct - the soft downy ones are called vellus hair.

Next quiz question for 10 house points - what is the name of the hair type that is generally found on baby feotuses - sometimes shown when born premature!

Monkey hair...LOL..;)

Yes - that is correct - the soft downy ones are called vellus hair.

Next quiz question for 10 house points - what is the name of the hair type that is generally found on baby feotuses - sometimes shown when born premature!

lanugo

Monkey hair...LOL..;)

:lol: I think you are a cheeky monkey JD.

You can now lose 10 house points for that one!

Well done Angel Fingers - go to the top of the class! :hug:

thanks miss oey. i remembered that from the baby book i read in my first pregnancy 20 years ago.

Well done Angel Fingers - go to the top of the class! :hug:

Oh! Bloomin heck, I knew that one. (probably the only one I knew aswell)

Fastest fingers first hey Angel Fingers?

Teri x:hug:

:lol: I think you are a cheeky monkey JD.

You can now lose 10 house points for that one!

LOL...well whenever I see a newborn with gobs of dark hair all over thier body and their faces are all red and wrinkly......and we humans are in close relations to the monkeys...:lol:

Latest posts

Back