Staff advice, hair

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nailz73

Reaction score
Hi all me again..

Cut a long story short, i am offering my hair chairs on a s/e rental base only...i as salon onwer am not hair trained just beauty and nail...

I have a young lady wanting to start up on her own, she is currently at level 2 trained, but is currently in an apprenticeship in a salon in next town,mwith one day at college.

She is not happy, as spends her day at college,mbut rest of time in salon, she is basically washing hair and meeting demands of other stylists, she doesnt feel she is actually hands on anymore....

I have explained the situation being s/e is her own boss, responsible for creating a client base, (which obviously i will assist with in marketing the whole salon anyway) havnt said that to her as i would,prefer existing clientele also....tax, ni, and importantly insurance her repospnsibility...

She knows if she comes out of apprenticeship, she will need to complete level 3 at college,

She knows basically she will be on her own so to speak, as i am unable to offer any mentoring or professional guidance trade wise.

In light of all this i have asked her to go and have a think about pros and cons everything, talk to her tutor at college..i have now had email and she really would like to set up on her own and complete level 3 at college...

Do i give her this chance...what rate daily wouldmi charge her for chair being a junior stylist ?.. I think she would be wanting to do 2 days a week until level 3 finished as has college aswell...

What to do...!! Part of me wants to say yes and part of me thinks, what if she regrets giving up apprenticeship, creating a business s/e is hard going at first...i have discussed it with her and made her aware of all facts...

Any advices welcome...

Thanks

Sarah x

I don't think she can get insurance without a level 2?

Sorry diddnt read that propperly, is she level 2 now and an apprentice at level 3?

You should charge the same rate to all chair renters regardless of their qualifications it makes no difference to you as the owner because she wouldn't advertise as a junior stylist she will just be a hairdresser same as the others

You should charge the same rate to all chair renters regardless of their qualifications it makes no difference to you as the owner because she wouldn't advertise as a junior stylist she will just be a hairdresser same as the others

Ahh i see...

Its all complicated to me al, this junior, senior, creative lol...she did say she would be classed as junior stylist...really lovely girl, i think wants to just get a start and get her career moving now...

I was just concerned as yechnically she would be on her own...does that make sense...dint want her to regret desicion, but is quite adamant she will be able to do it...

X

I would imagine qualified at level 2 , which was a completed salon apprenticeship,she would be competant enough for all services she offers no...?

Gosh all changed since i went to college etc lol..

If she's being self employed she has no one correcting her work anyway so she best be up to standard! I was at level 2 tho so As long as she realises that it should be fine

If she's being self employed she has no one correcting her work anyway so she best be up to standard! I was at level 2 tho so As long as she realises that it should be fine

Thank you for helpful,advice...

I have sat and drafted a reply...making her aware of everything she needs to do before coming into start...etc...

She is obviously driven within the fact that she has actually taken the time to find out already what needs to be done etc...

Thanks again :) xx

Level 2 training is very basic and if she struggles with a client, who will step in to help her out? It's your salon and your reputation on the line.

Ask her to cut and colour your hair as a sort of trades test and then review the situation.

Is there any reason why you haven't advertised for an experienced hairdresser with an existing clientele?

This is a bad idea!

She has to learn different subjects for level 3 and will have no one to learn from.

All clients will be guinea pigs basically.

I see your points...and taken them on board...

She will be completing her level 3 within college etc,

I am not hair trained so a trade test would be pointless tbh..

I have made sure I have informed her of the situation, with regards to any mentoring...have also asked to discuss with her tutor again to make sure the desicion made will be the right one..

xx

Level 2 training is very basic and if she struggles with a client, who will step in to help her out? It's your salon and your reputation on the line.

Ask her to cut and colour your hair as a sort of trades test and then review the situation.

Is there any reason why you haven't advertised for an experienced hairdresser with an existing clientele?

Hi ..yes i am advertising for an experienced hairdresser etc......xx

It doesn't work like that.

The college don't really train you in that way, generally you learn in the salon then get assessed. Imagine you going to college for a morning doing nails then just working in a salon on clients 3 hours later .

You need someone to do the trades test- you can't just not do it because you arent a hairdresser!! What if she can't hold a pair of scissors! Believe me this is a very common issue.....

Hi ..yes i am advertising for an experienced hairdresser etc......xx

What if they are rubbish too? How will you tell?

In our experience over many years we have found that a level 2 freshly qualified stylist struggles with anything other than real basics .
We retrain them on everything but especially short hair cuts and gents which they are usually very inexperienced with .
Also picking colours for clients etc .
Personally I wouldn't put my salon or her in that position because it's your salon name that will be dragged through the mud .
Also she has said she hasn't been very hands on in the salon she is currently in so where is she gaining her experience from ?
There will be no one to fix any mistakes except for your local competition .
Personally I would find and experienced stylist that can hit the ground running and importantly has a client base to bring so they can pay you rent from the off , then you could possibly negotiate having her later if the experienced stylist is happy to help her in an emergency .

Latest posts

Back