Staff advice needed urgently!!!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rose143

Very Proud Creative Geek
Reaction score
Hi Peeps,

I would do a journal entry but I really need some advice :confused: We are still mobile by the way.

My employee has done it again!! I know most of you in my journal said get rid of her but how do I do that without getting into trouble?

As some of you know she resigned on Thursday a week ago and has been telling clients ever since. The Monday after she resigned i had a meeting with my new hair employee. Well she decided to go anyway as she thought the company was unstable and felt like she was caught in the middle between me and my employee. I was so positive and said to her that she is giving up a massive opportunity ... oh well! I am not blowing my own trumpet but my staff get a contract when they start, a staff handbook to help them through their jobs and company procedures. They also sign for a copy of my company policy and get company training when they need it. How is this unstable?

After taking 4 days to calm down ... (kinda why I haven't been on here, I've never felt anger like that in my life) ... I decided to think with my business head and try and come up with something so that me and my employee could both win at the end of the day. I called a meeting on Thursday and thought I am going to be the better person here. Yes I've been screwed over twice but if i end this nicely, my reputation stays in tact and she can't point a finger at me.

I went to her house and said this is how it will work. You don't have to work your 2 months notice IF .... Firstly, we don't tell anymore clients she is leaving until she's left, this will cause less panic. Then we sit down and decide who's clients is who's. After she has left she can contact these clients and tell them then. I said she may keep the people that followed her from the last salon but since she has been with me, the clients she has acquired are mine. Secondly she must help me find someone to replace her, that meets my high standards. She must sit in on interviews and say yes or no and this person must do my hair as a test. At interviews we can always come up with a story for her if they ask why she's leaving. I thought by doing this, I don't lose more clients in her 2 month notice period and I get a replacement to work with my clients.

Well ... surprise surprise, she's already told more clients she is leaving. I found out from Ronald's ex Boss that she was saying she doesn't get holiday pay which she does, she doesn't get paid very well (she gets well over a grand to take home every month). Who the hell does she think she is discussing things like this with MY CLIENTS!!!! :evil:

I want to go to her and say, may I have your phone (which is my company phone), your diary, your equipment, your record cards and thank very much but now no one will know you have left. I can't just sack her can I? what will I do with her clients and it will make me look bad. She isn't even helping me find someone to replace her. I am advertising and she said she may know of someone but has done nothing. She has breached the confidentiality section in her contract by discussing my business with clients.

She is not taking me seriously!!! Everything that was discussed in that meeting was for nothing. I am being too trusting again and she has gone and screwed me over yet again. She no longer wears her uniform and clients have even commented that she doesn't look as professional as what she normally does. I bought her that uniform!!!

How do I control her when she's mobile? She is just doing her ladies, doesn't wear her uniform, ignores my phone calls, promotes herself no doubt and I look like the bad one. She hasn't updated the system of appts so I have no clue how many people she has on a daily basis. I have asked her 3 times to do this ... I am going to lose it and I honestly don't care about being the good one anymore. It's got me no where!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :cry:

xxxx

I don't really know the answer but surely if she has breached an agreement in the contract you have the right to dismiss her,
its not as if she has been late she has broke the confidential code here

Having never employed anyone before im not sure what you can/can't do but If she has resigned can you not just pay her up until the end of her notice period and let her go now ?

Ask for everything back that is yours and get shot asap.

Also I would not ask her to sit in for any interviews, if she is going to be your competition now she could either poach any new staff for herself or put you off potential employees so you don't get a great replacement for her.

It sounds like a real mess, I think you need to get her out of your business now. jmo

Thanks Louise but what do I do with her clients?

xxxx

Having never employed anyone before im not sure what you can/can't do but If she has resigned can you not just pay her up until the end of her notice period and let her go now ?

Ask for everything back that is yours and get shot asap.

Also I would not ask her to sit in for any interviews, if she is going to be your competition now she could either poach any new staff for herself or put you off potential employees so you don't get a great replacement for her.

It sounds like a real mess, I think you need to get her out of your business now. jmo

Thanks hun, I'm probably being too trusting yet again :cry:

I think gross misconduct is a sackable offence and the way she is behaving I think would come under that.

Don't have her near your business for another second Rose. xxx:hug:

I think gross misconduct is a sackable offence and the way she is behaving I think would come under that.

Don't have her near your business for another second Rose. xxx:hug:

Thanks Chris, I am considering this however what do I do with my clients that have booked to have their hair done. I cannot let them down, they would hate me.

I have no replacement for them at the moment, am currently busy with beautyjobsonline to find someone else and you know this takes time.

What do I do? I'm worried about the clients ...

xxxx

I would track her down now and get all your stuff, she may well have already copied all the numbers from the phone and copied all the record cards but she may not have done, so don't give her any more opportunity to do this. Yes, you will lose some clients, but just remember how well you have done building up your business, and you can do this again. It will be easier because you will not be starting from scratch this time, just re-starting after a blip. And definitely see a solicitor!
NO MORE MS NICE GUY!!!!!

Thanks Chris, I am considering this however what do I do with my clients that have booked to have their hair done. I cannot let them down, they would hate me.

I have no replacement for them at the moment, am currently busy with beautyjobsonline to find someone else and you know this takes time.

What do I do? I'm worried about the clients ...

xxxx

Think about yourself
Clients may be more understanding than you think
And it sounds like you may well lose them anyway
So take the chance and get rid of the girl, draw a line under it, and start over
She will give you a breakdown at this rate!

Good points ZoZo

xxxx

Just to be devils advocate here... what makes you think that this person will help find you a suitable replacement for her? She sounds totally un-reliable and I wouldn't trust her AT ALL to help you find her replacement.

If I was you, I would cut all ties NOW, get back all your equipment and any personal customer detail/records, pay off what you owe her and make closure with this woman. She has acted with professional misconduct and therefore you cannot trust her and this surely must be a valid reason for finishing her as of immediate effect.

Get advertising for a new stylist.

Best of luck with your dilemma. :eek:

I haven't read your diary entries so forgive me if I have the wrong end of the stick!!

We had a similar situation a few years ago with a guy who worked for us (different industry but same principles would apply.)

So heres what I would do -
  • Terminate her employment with immediate effect.
  • Remove all of your belongings - if she refuses, threaten to call the police!
  • Forget about the clients she has spoken to - theres absolutely nothing you can do about that.:irked:
  • Contact those clients you can, and explain that you are no longer able to make their appointment. (Perhaps offer them a return incentive when you do have someone new.)
  • Do not get her to help find a replacement.
  • If you are a member of a professional body (BABTAC, small business forum etc) they will have legal advisors available to you. Contact them and get some advice.
Unfortunately you are not going to be able to control anything that this woman says or does. It will be better for you and your business to just draw a line under it asap, move on and and chalk it up to experience.

I know its not ideal but it really is all you can do.

As someone else said, you can bounce back from this. :hug:

I haven't read your diary entries so forgive me if I have the wrong end of the stick!!

We had a similar situation a few years ago with a guy who worked for us (different industry but same principles would apply.)

So heres what I would do -
  • Terminate her employment with immediate effect.
  • Remove all of your belongings - if she refuses, threaten to call the police!
  • Forget about the clients she has spoken to - theres absolutely nothing you can do about that.:irked:
  • Contact those clients you can, and explain that you are no longer able to make their appointment. (Perhaps offer them a return incentive when you do have someone new.)
  • Do not get her to help find a replacement.
  • If you are a member of a professional body (BABTAC, small business forum etc) they will have legal advisors available to you. Contact them and get some advice.
Unfortunately you are not going to be able to control anything that this woman says or does. It will be better for you and your business to just draw a line under it asap, move on and and chalk it up to experience.

I know its not ideal but it really is all you can do.

As someone else said, you can bounce back from this. :hug:

This is very good advice from Debs, and I would again urge you to do something quickly, draw a line under it and start afresh. Debs is right that there are things you can't control. The relief you will feel will be tremendous too :hug:

P.S. Thanks for reminding me why I work alone :eek:

Just to be devils advocate here... what makes you think that this person will help find you a suitable replacement for her? She sounds totally un-reliable and I wouldn't trust her AT ALL to help you find her replacement.

If I was you, I would cut all ties NOW, get back all your equipment and any personal customer detail/records, pay off what you owe her and make closure with this woman. She has acted with professional misconduct and therefore you cannot trust her and this surely must be a valid reason for finishing her as of immediate effect.

Get advertising for a new stylist.

Best of luck with your dilemma. :eek:

I agree with this.

Get rid of her, you do not have to put up with this. This girl is showing a complete lack of respect - sack her for gross misconduct, if you're worried about retribution join the FSB - they pay all legal fees.

Stop being a Mug Rose, whatever the reasons you have for hanging onto her... cannot be valid enough to justify the reputation of your business going down the pan.

Follow the good advice given. You owe this girl nothing. She's had a right walk in the park as far as you're concerned. Let her go and find a job and make her own way in this world, without someone holding her hand all the way. YOU are the BOSS. You put the money into the business and you are the one losing sleep over it. For what? For someone to S**t on you from a great height repeatedly.

What a drain to your energy. What ever it takes before you have to waste more energy on this disloyal person- show her the door. How awful for you!
totally a waste on time to have her around- pay her out and wish her well.
Move on as fast as you can - find someone who will restore your faith in people. I would ask why you think you have to put up with this? You deserve better.

Sounds hideous!! poor you, I really feel for you and I can see you are trying to do the right thing for your clients, but letting her damage your reputation as a person, a boss and as a professional will stay with them longer than the inconvenience they will suffer if you get rid of her asap.

My advice would be the same as everyone elses - call her in for a meeting - take back all company property at that meeting (including her phone, diary, contact sheet etc). Serve her immediate dismissal due to gross misconduct (you are well within your rights there by the sounds of it -best to check first though).

Dont give her ANY client contact details - they all belong to you now. Call them all up (that day!!) and be honest about the situation, tell them that she no longer works for you and that you are in the middle of interviewing for her replacement and that you will call them back once you have someone in the very near future. Dont give them her contact details - say you simply do not have her private mobile number.

Dont let her anywhere near the interviews - that would be a serious mistake in my opinion.

Most importantly forget about her as soon as possible, dont waste your energy.

Good luck.xx

Thank you so much for to all of you for all your good advise and for the time you've taken to read and reply to my post :hug:

The reason for my hanging on is unfortunately because we used to be best friends. We became quite close and hung out together. Her Mum has her nails done by me and so does her twin sister. Her sister is lovely but is a bit of a gossip and she will spread the news to all her colleagues and family that I do nails for.

I was trying to remember how my life was 2 and a half years ago and it wasn't so bad. And I know that after this whole thing we won't be friends anymore, I have been trying to find out where I screwed up this is again why I've been hanging on. I don't mean to sound like I'm feeling sorry for myself but she used to be my friend and she broke my heart now she wants my future as well. The My and Ronald's future I built from scratch!

Ronald, my other half is really upset with me because he says I have to keep her on until I can offer my clients a replacement but as you peeps have pointed out it would be too risky to do that.

xxxx

:eek:
Rose I will say, this is my feelings also.
Anyone that is willing to tell bold face lies to the clients is not your friend and is going to be gracious enough to make sure the person that is replacing her is going to be a benefit to your salon.
As Owner to owner here..:hug: that is your responsibility only. The only thing the other employees should have any say in, is if they like the new employee and feel they can get along with them. This is where a 30 temp contract comes in handy.

to answer you question about do you have enough to fire her...Yes.
She have gone against your rules and regulations concerning the salon.
You should have taken away the salon phone etc right after you found out she wasn't going to be around anymore. She would be allowed to have the phone etc while she was on company time but after that it is in your possession

The last thing I am going to tell you..Never hire Friends!! Friends do not make good working partners and especially working employees. The first thing that happened with the relationship is that You were Now HER boss. That is a lower image of herself and she started to resent it.
Before I bought my salon, I and another girl worked in there, we were great friends and she always had pissing session about the owner with me. Then I bought it. I, then became her enemy and the friendship went out the door. I finally had to get rid of her because she became so volatile towards me and the clients saw it.

Being a owner is a glorified title. You are no ones friend or buddy as much as you might want it. It took me 5 years to figure that one out.
You can treat each other with respect but friends are not allowed.

Hope you get this all straightened out without too much financial troubles.

Trust me..if your clients do not understand..piss on them, they were all about themselves anyway. The clients that you want are the ones that will stand by you. :wink2:

Rose I will say, this is my feelings also.
Anyone that is willing to tell bold face lies to the clients is not your friend and is going to be gracious enough to make sure the person that is replacing her is going to be a benefit to your salon.
As Owner to owner here..:hug: that is your responsibility only. The only thing the other employees should have any say in, is if they like the new employee and feel they can get along with them. This is where a 30 temp contract comes in handy.

to answer you question about do you have enough to fire her...Yes.
She have gone against your rules and regulations concerning the salon.
You should have taken away the salon phone etc right after you found out she wasn't going to be around anymore. She would be allowed to have the phone etc while she was on company time but after that it is in your possession

The last thing I am going to tell you..Never hire Friends!! Friends do not make good working partners and especially working employees. The first thing that happened with the relationship is that You were Now HER boss. That is a lower image of herself and she started to resent it.
Before I bought my salon, I and another girl worked in there, we were great friends and she always had pissing session about the owner with me. Then I bought it. I, then became her enemy and the friendship went out the door. I finally had to get rid of her because she became so volatile towards me and the clients saw it.

Being a owner is a glorified title. You are no ones friend or buddy as much as you might want it. It took me 5 years to figure that one out.
You can treat each other with respect but friends are not allowed.

Hope you get this all straightened out without too much financial troubles.

Trust me..if your clients do not understand..piss on them, they were all about themselves anyway. The clients that you want are the ones that will stand by you. :wink2:

Thank you for being so straight forward hun, :hug: I just have to convince my other half I'm doing the right thing.

I'll make arrangements immediately. All this is happening in the wrong week. The salon is getting set up, I'm moving house this weekend and now this.

I'll let you peeps know, thanks again to all of you!!!! :hug:

xxxx

hang in there...you will come out the other side a better owner.:hug:
It is all a learning curve for the first 3 years.
I shed many tears and anger and took many long walks to clear my head.
If you ever need anything thing. Just PM me.

Latest posts

Back