Staff handbook and health and safety

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Leanneatplanet

Reaction score
Hi everyone im after a bit of help what do people do for staff hand books and health and safety, I've got a salon but I'm goin over the 5 employee threshold next week and I'm a bit baffled on what I need to do to make sure all areas covers including risk assessments etc if any one has any examples they could mail me or advice I would be grateful :) x loving salon geek by they way sooooo much fab info x

Hi

The Health and Safety Exec website has loads of useful info, and a booklet called 5 steps to risk assessment. Might be worth a look.

We have an risk assessment tool on our website you can download for free: Salon Software Home

I think, although stand to be corrected that you need to have a first aider [or appointed person] and a fire warden?

You also need to offer a pension scheme when you have 5 staff or more

I think, although stand to be corrected that you need to have a first aider [or appointed person] and a fire warden?
There's nothing that specifies you HAVE to have a first aider or how many if you do have them. You should carry out a risk assessment including first aid, it is then up to you if you deem it necessary to have a first aider.

There's some info here that might be helpful. HSE Publications: Free Leaflets - First Aid

I'm NEBOSH trained so if I can help with any questions you have about Risk Assessment just shout.

Never said there had to be be a first aider. The guideliens [although its been a while since i seen them] recommend a first aider or appointed person if there were more than 5 persons?

For clarity - an appointed person is someone responsible for taking charge in an emergency, and does not have to be a fully qualified first aider. I would suspect in most salons the owner would automatically assume this role.

Im basing this on the salons risk assessment deeming it to be a high risk [owing to the potential chemicals, equipment and even UV tanning]

Low risk i believe the recommendations were for 25 staff not 5

But I am no expert, however i would agree a risk assessment would be an appropriate start. It would probably be difficult to justify yourself after any accident without having done a risk assessment. At least armed with this you can say - we did not need a first aider as per our risk assement, as apose to, i didnt think i needed one.

Hi thank u for your replys I've downloaded a sample risk assessments, any ideas on what goes in an employee hand book x

A staff handbook should include all your policies and procedures, such as;

Code of Conduct
Blank staff contract
Warning policy
Disciplinary & grievance policy
Blank timesheet / copy of rota
Annual leave policy
H&S policy
Risk assessment policy
Environmental policy
Job description
Waste management
Info around pay (commission scheme?) & pension

You might not have all of these but in essence it should include the policies & procedures used to run your salon
Hath

Last edited:
hiya, i am getting together a hand book??? where to start? can i ask where you down loading the risk assessment? clicked on the link to the website but where can you down load it?
sally x

Hiya, I don't even have to think about this anymore - I subscribed to The Health and Safety Companion, and it is bl**dy brilliant! :lol:

It is an online safety management system which ensures the safety of the staff AND the clients and also, provides compliance with local authorities, H&S exec and fire authorities - all in one swoop!!! It's £33.00 a month and it's the only direct debit that I am happy to see go out, lol....

Here's a link www.healthandsafetycompanion.com

Hope you love it as much as I do - as a sole owner, my time, resources, knowledge and attention span gets severely overstretched and it's been such a relief not worry about H&S anymore.

Can somebody invent one for HR, please!

Take care, and a happy New Year! MrsMac

Latest posts

Back