Staff incentive ideas please!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AAM

Reaction score
Hi I'm new to Salon Geek posting! I run my own small beauty business and have now expanded to include 1 part time member of staff and 1 apprentice. I'd like to motivate them to go above and beyond to help build the business.

I've heard of an incentive scheme, whereby they have a daily target and once they hit it (can be made up from services and/or retail) they get a bonus and then 10% of the takings over and above that amount. He is the example I've been given, I'd need to rework for my business: target is £250 per day, £25 bonus when they reach that amount (could be all services or some retail thrown in there too) and then 10% of any takings over the £250.

I'm just looking for some advice on what has worked for others. I want my staff to be motivated (which they are anyway) and focused on client retention, re bookings, retail, new clients etc.

Any advice greatly appreciated!

That sounds good. How about a monthly prize for the person who sells the most retail. Prizes could be a high street voucher something like that. Make it different every month. Have a chart up so they can write they're sales in and see how they're doing.

That sounds good, I just need to be careful as the apprentice will work full time but doesn't yet have her own clients and the part timer has clients but only works 2 evenings a week. I think whatever I do needs to be pro-rata to make it fair.

That sounds good, I just need to be careful as the apprentice will work full time but doesn't yet have her own clients and the part timer has clients but only works 2 evenings a week. I think whatever I do needs to be pro-rata to make it fair.

You could make it fair by averaging how much retail they sold per hour. For instance if your full time works 40 hrs a week/ 8hrs a day you can take there total retail sales for each day and divide by how many hours worked, or do for the week. At least it's fair to how many hours they worked and both strive to hit there targets , hope this makes sense .

Oh these are brilliant idea's, i hope it will work out for you. :)

Is it fair to expect the apprentice to sell the same per hour as the fully qualified girl? Should I give them both targets and if they both hit them they both get a bonus. That way encouraging team players rather than putting them against each other?

Is it fair to expect the apprentice to sell the same per hour as the fully qualified girl? Should I give them both targets and if they both hit them they both get a bonus. That way encouraging team players rather than putting them against each other?

Hi,

I think targets are a great idea, I come from a background in a different business sector which was very target driven and although it’s a great way of getting people to work harder and achieve more be careful not to de-motivate staff if they are unable to reach their targets.
I wouldn't put them against each other, set them individual targets to reach.

Just an idea - Monthly you could set a scaling target with 3 financial reward (5% bronze, 10% silver and 20% gold) and then if they reach their gold target each month for a quarter they get an extra treat... this can help with consistency.

Good luck

I like the bronze, silver and gold targets.

I have just worked out august's targets and I think it will be a much better incentive to have the target split down.

So they will almost certainly make bronze but have to work harder for silver and gold will be tough (but still achievable)

Rewards will be set amounts of money per bracket

I'm going to have a competitive target.

Next month re-booking target. If we collectively meet or exceed the target then the highest achiever gets a gift voucher for a clothes shop, or a nice gift basket etc

So I have acheivable targets on 3 levels with a financial reward
And a team target with competition with a gift reward

Jemima :)

Interesting, I'm looking to give my girls something for retail as they are on a very good % self employed, haven't done it up till now due to the good % but thought about a prize rather than commission any input would be great, sorry to hijack x or should they just be great full of the good % ;) ?

Latest posts

Back