staff problems

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

michelle g

Reaction score
i am having real bad staff problems, they seem to build up clientelle and
leave (with the clients). i have received a phone call today from my beauty therapist to say that he is leaving, (o.k fine) but he is renting a room 2 doors away from my salon in a tanning salon! is it just me or is that rubbing my nose in it! he was on a percentage in my salon (which is what he wanted) and i supplied all equipment and done all advertising etc.
i have got a therapist starting monday but she was meant to be doing mainly
nails. i feel that people take the mick out of me this is the 3rd one now, and
i am getting paronoid. how do you stop staff stealing clients?
i have been told that even a contract doesn't stand for much.
sorry for the moan just don't know what to do.
i give people a chance and this is how they repay me.

Sorry to hear you having a bad time, some people are rotten.
This has happened to my own boss several times, one even stole thousands from her.
the last beauty therapist walked out with clients and is now mobile. I recently found out she left because the hairdresser was catty to herand her mood swings are terrible, that pushed her out.
Is there anyone else at your work doing the same thing as that?
yes you can have it written in their contract that they cannot work in a nother salon within a 3 mile radious but its difficult to enforce.
I hope thing work out for the best.
Carrie xx

What a nightmare for you :( That does seem rather hard faced of him.
I'm a therapist myself, not an owner, and clients do build up a certain loyalty to their therapist. If the clients would prefer to go to him, there is not much you can do; every client is entitled to a choice over where he/she goes for treatments. I'd never dream of doing that to my salon :(

Thanks for your replies, things turned really nasty yesterday,
i went into work and asked why therapist is leaving, he replied
i don't want to work in a place like this! i said why what is wrong
with the salon? he screwed his nose up and said well look at it:eek:
so i asked him to leave now as he felt this way, so he got his stuff
ripped all my posters down and has broke my nail table.
i was devastated about what he said, ok my salon isn't the ritz
but i have worked so hard to make it look nice, i phoned the police
but they still haven't come to see me. plus i think because he is only
17 they haven't taken it serious.
well let him rent his pokey little room with no sink or lights.
had to share.

Michelle

Did you find out exactly what he mean by "well look at it" and "a place like this"?

I agree you dont wont staff on board that are not going to treat you in the same way that you would expect to treat your employees back, but I do feel alot of the time that as employers we need to reflect on feedback from the staff as it could be feedback and feelings that they are getting from the clients, so I would try and reflect a little if you can.

I feel for you - have a :hug:

He sounds like a right nobhead and youll better off without him!!!

That was very nasty of him. What a prat.

Not only has he destroyed some of your property he has destroyed your confidence in yourself and your business as well. I hope he fails spectacularly (anyway how much experience can he have at just 17 years of age!).

My hub (who is in human resources) said that you should do a client questionnaire asking your clients what they think you could do to "enhance" their salon experience, give them a few choices and leave a space for comments. Also have a staff meeting and ask them to be honest and try not to be hurt if they say negative things. Take their comments on board and see if you can maybe improve things. It might only be small niggles that they have but may make all the difference to their working day. Also he said that this should be an annual thing which staff doing self-assessments, client questionnaires etc. That way you can keep your business on track and improving and things dont slide.

People can be very mean and nasty, dont let this get you down, after all you are the one with experience and a business, what has he got, zip.

Hope this helps.

:hug:

Hey just wanted to send you some hugs & say stay strong, your better than him!!! You don't want someone like that working for you anyway. Let him go & work on his own & with that immature attitude he won't last two minutes. I for one wouldn't have treatments done with a person who clearly has poor/rude people skills. It will come back to haunt him not you!!! :hug: :hug: :hug:

whats done is done. for the next beautician you ahev working for you, make her feel like you have it all and shouldnt even consider working anywhere else. give her more incentives to stay there like treatment nights worth £100 a month as a bonus, hair done, uniforms etc.
Now he cant take client details with him as they belong to the comapny so advertise all exsisting custonmers get 50% off original price for 6 months (long enough for him to be out of business and wanna come back) but enought o cover your outgoings. in stead of losing money its better to stay on par and have a good reputation.
Good luck from Gemma W

Hi Hun,

There is something you can do!

Get a good solicitor to go over your contract and put a restrictive covenant in it. Meaning that your ex employees may not open or work for a rival business in x amount of miles. I wouldn't expect you get more than 2 miles on this as beauty salons these days are as setting up faster than pubs!

Do you have a clause in your contract saying that the clients are your company property?

And lastly, the clients will always follow someone they are comfortable with BUT that doesn't mean you can't try and steal them back with better treatments and great special offers as a thank you for their loyalty! Send out a letter to them all!

Are your staff left alone with client record cards? How does this person think they are going to take the clients?

I've been there done that, trust me if you knew what I was going through now LOL .... Blimin staff!

Don't just let this happen honey, you have rights as well, the more people are allowed to get away with this, the more it will be accepted. I am one who will not stand for this! I don't even allow my new girls to bring clients with them, I'll have a right go. The clients will find them and all I do is advertise my new girls in the local paper ... the client will find them the honest way!

You spent the money on the products used for those clients and you paid for the advertising, they are your clients!

xxxx

thank-you all for your support.
i thought i would give you a little update: i have had all the clients that were
booked in with him come into the salon and say xyz has booked me in with him
up the tanning shop, but i would rather come here as i like it here, i like the
atmosphere. and they all came in with the new beautician.
obviously he kept walking past and peeping through the window.
i have re - vamped the beauty room all new furniture & painted, the front of the shop is being painted this weekend and the nail part is being re- vamped aswell.
oh and leaflets been re designed as he has used the pictures etc as mine.
i won't be fooled again i have learnt my lesson and have strict rules in place and a contract being drawn up to cover all areas.
this geek is holding her head high and fighting back.
thanks again for all your supportxx

i thought i would give you a little update: i have had all the clients that were
i have re - vamped the beauty room all new furniture & painted, the front of the shop is being painted this weekend and the nail part is being re- vamped aswell.
i won't be fooled again i have learnt my lesson and have strict rules in place and a contract being drawn up to cover all areas.

Go girl!

That is the way to handle things like this - reflect on why these things happened and come out the other side bigger and better! Well done :hug:

Glad you've got your fighting spirit back Michelle and wish you every success :hug:x

Well done. It sounds like you have taken a negative experience and turned it into something positive. Good luck with your new therapist & I'm sure your clients will love the new decor.

Good luck and well done.:)

agree totally with all geeks, a bad experience made positive and your outlook sounds more postive too...well done YOU:Love:

well done you!
and how lovely that they've told you that they like your place, so his comments were unfounded. but it is brilliant that you have revamped the place too. He is probably kicking himself big time. You are showing him how to be a professional and with style.:idea:

Latest posts

Back