Staff staying behind and doing own waxing

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kittikit

Reaction score
Hi all, title says it all.
What are your thoughts on this one? A staff finished with her shift and doing her own waxing. Normally staff needs to pay a very discounted rate for treatments they have. Does it make a difference that she was doing it for herself?

Thanks
all input appreciated.

I'd say it was perks of the job, I always allow staff to have treatments free of charge, as long as the jobs done I wouldn't have a problem with it

I agree as long as it's not abused.... I don't employ staff I work by myself but have worked in salons where staff would turn clients away to do their own treatments so from that perspective I'd say it's good they are doing it in own time and not in gaps that could be filled.

Only question would be was the salon closed at the time? The reason being if she stayed alone she could be vulnerable and put the salon at risk which you might not want. Just from experience we never left one person in salon as we closed late X

I agree with kittikit, we let our therapist stay behind & do treatments on each other. It costs next to nothing & keeps everyone happy. Plus it means the therapists are well groomed & have experience of the treatments they are carrying out on clients.

Total perks of the Job! That is a very minimal cost to you and if you were to say anything to your therapist would make her feel very under valued.

The cost of waxing is truly a matter of pence. For the sake of staff morale I'd let them do it in their own time. It's always been allowed in any salon I worked in.

Really????? Happy staff mean happy clients... Undervalue your staff and they will leave and you need them just as much as they need you....

I think the point the salon owner was making is : the staff member SHOULD ask if she could stay and do her own waxing or pedi etc . Otherwise it is theft, using products without logging it in the system makes stock take difficult and effects your overall profits and give false values. If you know about it then you still log it but value income as zero, the. Your stock are accurate and does not effect your figures.

However most salons I have seen operate have no clue on how to cost treatments let alone keep accurate accounting and stick figures. But I am guessing the point is the staff member should have asked and not assumed.

I have fired someone for this exact thing. If you ask and lay out the boundaries before hand then yes no problem, I fact we can all do monthly schedules treatments on each therapist to maintain good brows and facials and pedis or whatever.

All my staff can have treatments every 4 weeks
They either have in lunch breaks , book it out of quiet or come on day off.
If we have some time we will do back massages too as we all suffer!
Keep them valued and their job worthwhile.
But must always ask forst

All my staff can do any treatments they like on each other I also go in on my day off if they need things doing for holidays ext if they have a gap they can do each other and they get paid I do not mind at all they also do things for me like advertise out of hours and reply on the salon Facebook out of hours without me asking....Give a little get a little however they do ask! Bit cheeky not to ask xx

Latest posts

Back