Staff stealing

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

amanda999

Reaction score
I have a salon with 5 hairdressers (one just works very casual hours) but 4 full timers, two of which are newbies and only been with me two weeks or so.

Over the past few months I've noticed my colour tubes are going missing and now I've noticed a brand new bottle of Brazilian blow dry has suddenly pretty much disappeared (it's now half empty in two weeks- we've done five clients since it arrived). I'm split between who it is, in my head it's one or two or even both of them. What do I do? Do I make them all pay up and put it under lock and key from now or do I have to just face I've lost money. I'm so annoyed, they know it's only a small salon and I've just had a baby so money's tight etc. Not like I make loads and give them nothing.

Have you spoken to your stylists? Maybe you should have a staff meeting and let them know because you don't know who it is that you'll be the only one giving it out. Sorry if they want to act like children then maybe you have to move it out of their site like children. Just a thought. Hope you find out who did it

I'd call a meeting, get them all together and say something like, stock has been going missing, from now on I want every Mil of colour, developer etc logged, (provide a pad) tell them it's theft. A chargeable offence and as already stated, get a camera installed, even eBay security sellers do them cheap enough.

I had this when I was renting a chair, an employed new hairdresser was helping herself to my colours, not s nice feeling

Put a camera up and see who does it.

Although this is a great idea, what you have to do (if you want to prosecute & take it further regarding the law) is put a sign up saying CCTV in operation or something similar. I know someone who was in a very similar situation & because he never put a sign up, although the perpetrator was caught in the act, he was unable to submit it for evidence, because he never put a sign up!! Which is ridiculous because you want to catch them in the act & if there's a sign up they will probably stop! But ultimately I'm guessing you want this thief found out So what I would say if you want to prosecute you needs to put up a sign, if you just want to catch in the act & get rid do it without the sign! Good luck let us know how you get on!! X

So it started a few months ago before your new stylists joined?

Definitely hold a staff meeting and say that when you find the culprit, you will be referring the matter to the police as its classed as theft. I also agree about keeping a simple log for everyone to write what they've used.

I think if you take this approach, you might find it just stops or someone will snitch as they won't want a cloud hanging over them.

Yh I don't think it's my newbies. Out of the three old stylists I'm stuck between which two or even both of them doing it. I have spoke to them all and the two suspects kind of blamed the other older stylist but I just can't c her doing it. I have cameras already. Which they all know. But short of me spending the next two weeks watching 11 hours a day of CCTV. Am I really going to have to do that :( guess so.

And regarding a log I Do. Everyone who uses colour has to tell my receptionist and she logs it on the PC

Yh I don't think it's my newbies. Out of the three old stylists I'm stuck between which two or even both of them doing it. I have spoke to them all and the two suspects kind of blamed the other older stylist but I just can't c her doing it. I have cameras already. Which they all know. But short of me spending the next two weeks watching 11 hours a day of CCTV. Am I really going to have to do that :( guess so.
You can get motion sensor cameras that only start recording when movement is detected, so hopefully where you keep your products isn't a high traffic area! As an alternative you can keep your colours in a locked cabinet & you can maybe have yourself & one other key holder.

I'm going to put it all in a lockable cupboard now.

What should I do regarding the missing stock..Can I hold a meeting and then say someone has half hour to admit it if not then I split it between all the hair staff or do I have to find out who did it and penalise them only? Or I was thinking in the meeting to say that if they come forward I'll just charge them the missing stock but if they don't I'll look at CCTV and they will be fired and dealt with.. Hoping that saves me looking and they admit.

I wouldn't say everyonr will be charged because this would be an easy way out for the thief, they don't get found out and they only have to pay for a fraction of what they stole. I would maybe say they can admit it and pay for stock or you will check cameras and fire them.

Do you normally do Xmas bonus or pay for a night out etc. do they get their hair done for free? maybe say that unless someone owns up, there will be no bonus etc to recuperate the costs or that all hair will be paid for at full price from now on as you have lost too much money. I don't think it would be fair to penalise everyone by charging them for missing stock and not sure if its something you could actually enforce legally. Horrible situation though, hope you get to the bottom of it.

Don't punish everyone, that's not fair.
Don't expect the thief to EVER own up......they won't.
Your only option is a camera.
When they get greedy,(and they will), and go back for more,
catch it on camera, and then, let them go.......:p.
If they are a newbie, still on trial, just say 'sorry, it didn't work out....'
You don't have to go down the 'prosecution' route!
I would not want to have a thief on my staff....whatever the cost......get shot.

Do you normally do Xmas bonus or pay for a night out etc. do they get their hair done for free? maybe say that unless someone owns up, there will be no bonus etc to recuperate the costs or that all hair will be paid for at full price from now on as you have lost too much money. I don't think it would be fair to penalise everyone by charging them for missing stock and not sure if its something you could actually enforce legally. Horrible situation though, hope you get to the bottom of it.
Yes. Only last week we organised a meal out for Xmas and the staff Xmas incentives. And yes they do hair free except for Brazilian blow drys where I charge £20 to staff.

Definitely don't penalise everyone. It will only fuel discontent and lower morale further.
You can't deduct the money from the staff wages or commission as that would be classed as an unlawful deduction of wages.

Some staff think stealing tint and other consumables such as loo rolls, detergent, etc. is somehow acceptable but it's all theft. Has any money been stolen or is it just products?

The honest staff will already be annoyed that they are potential suspects and if anything else goes missing, they won't be happy to have the finger of suspicion hanging over them.

I put camara. Best thing ever did. Caught one of my stylist of 6 years coming into salon when closed and nicking

I put camara. Best thing ever did. Caught one of my stylist of 6 years coming into salon when closed and nicking
Omg, that's terrible. What did you do?

Omg, that's terrible. What did you do?

I got a solicitor coming to see me Wednesday to sue for breach of contract and cctv is with police for theft

I think in your heart of hearts you probably already know who it is but do not want the answer! Anything like this makes you feel sick doesn't it? In my experience as a Salon Owner, most staff nick things and for it to escalate with the advent of new starters is the oldest trick in the book as most thieves are opportunists who think that the newcomer will be blamed! You also cannot take money out of their wages without a written undertaking as it would most certainly be viewed as an illegal deduction of wages and it is out of order to blame someone who is innocent and doing their best for you, plus word goes around and it is unfair to tarnish any honest person's reputation like that.

Most staff see stealing the odd bit of something as a perk of the job and quite often do not understand the consequence of what they are doing from drinking the customer's special coffee to doing treatments on each other in downtime so I would definitely sit each of them down and explain how such behaviour affects you and takes the food off the table for your child. Also try and get them to understand that such behaviour affects them too which means their job security is at risk and bonuses and treats etc will have to be stopped as a result of someone else's selfish actions. If they start to miss out then they will tell you about any negative behaviour (I found out a senior member of my staff was turning me over with this approach)!

Also, if my staff want to take anything then they know to ask, which may sound odd but I would rather them ask me than take it without permission. One Stylist used to borrow clippers to do her male family's hair at home (she was not quite competent or confident enough to do gents in the salon) and now it has resulted in her being able enough to do the gents in our salon so I have benefitted. I have even had one of them ask if they could take a loo roll home and teabags until they got paid as they were than skint! I gave them a sub until pay day! Who knows? They may have stolen it anyway which would lead to the theft of other things no doubt so at least it was nipped in the bud and they have someone to turn to if they are hard up, rather than steal. Most of them bring things in for me to use in the salon as well...a lamp for the nail bar and a nail varnish they thought a client would like.

I would also not entirely rule out customers taking stock either, I saw one of our clients pick up a brush, put it back down and then when she left my Stylist said, 'oh have you seen that brush I left on there?' and do not even get me started on waxing stips...for some reason clients pinch ours by the bucket load so we limit what is on show (another good thing to do)!

Sit down with each of them and tell them why it is such a no-no and let them know the consequence...my staff know I would bounce their tushes down the path if they stole from me!

Don't punish everyone, that's not fair.
Don't expect the thief to EVER own up......they won't.
Your only option is a camera.
When they get greedy,(and they will), and go back for more,
catch it on camera, and then, let them go.......:p.
If they are a newbie, still on trial, just say 'sorry, it didn't work out....'
You don't have to go down the 'prosecution' route!
I would not want to have a thief on my staff....whatever the cost......get shot.
I friend of mine got a camera installed and the thief knew and she still did it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back