Staff stealing

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Lots of excellent advice here.

You have to watch your stock. that's just how it is. Stealing from the Boss is considered a "perk" not theft.

I've had cash go missing too. Also when we had 2 new starters. It wasn't them...

You need to be seen to be vigilant. Staff like to feel that their Boss keeps an eye on things. Cashing up, petty cash expenditure, retail stock checking - make sure they know that you check. They like it when you notice that they are careful and frugal with product. Inexperienced/poorly trained staff are wasteful. Staff with low morale are lazy and wasteful. Praise your staff for not being wasteful - make it clear that you see this as a sign of their experience and expertise.

Theft is not the only explanation so don't make this a theft conversation because you'll destroy morale. Staff hate feeling that the Boss is monitoring them as if they are all thieves.

I'm not a hairdresser but I imagine that colour tubes are no different to waxing stock. I help with treatments so staff can see how I work, and I set the standard. I also help clean up and staff can see that I look in the bins and the waxing pots. I explain about the importance of minimising waste to landfill, I emphasise the benefits of working efficiently - how it saves time and effort. Excess product consumption is always picked up with a conversation with that staff member. Complaints that client X is "tricky" and justifies extra product will have me quietly joining a treatment with client X. There are lots of training tip talks and demos. I work with staff to upskill them so that they work to the standard I set. Against this background it's difficult to "borrow" a wax pot. Staff are sure I'd notice.

I induct staff into treatments and that includes explaining the costings. I tell staff how much a treatment costs in product and I tell them how much a bottle or tub of product costs and show them how much to use to hit the costing. Staff are quite panicked when you tell them they are using products which cost £200 a bottle/tub. They have no idea and think product costs a fiver.

You can't ignore what's been happening but don't make it about theft. Let your staff draw their own conclusions. Instead talk about the impact waste is having on profitability. Explain that treatments are costed based on your product consumption. Explain that it's disrespectful to clients to put prices up and make them pay for waste. You can also discuss if you should have different prices for returning clients. Perhaps have a 6-8 week touch up rate and a 12 week rate. Consider the possibility that your staff are getting more first time clients and using more product whereas you have regulars who just need a touch up.

And put up the staff cost of Brazilian blow drys based on the number of treatments and the amount consumed. Explain carefully that you understand that they need to learn how much product to use but you have to be able to replace stock. Be the vigilant, caring Boss who trusts and trains her staff. You'll end up with staff monitoring consumption rates and policing your stock cupboard for you.

One tip. Recycling. I noticed that we were getting through more loo roll than we had cardboard tubes for recycling. it was theft obs. I'm not dumb. But I had a staff meeting about recycling. How it saves money and the planet. Staff had to put up with me having a bee in my bonnet about the cardboard tubes. "Where's the old tube, we've just started a new roll". In this context it was easy to chase up missing empty boxes for lash lift products. You just need to have a handle on what happens in your business. Don't expect your employees to run your business for you.

This thread is more than 3 years old and the OP hasn’t been back in 2 years so I’ll close this thread here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back