Staffing problems?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

How many of you are employers?

• Small is beautiful ... I'm a one man band!

Votes: 42 48.3%
  • Hell no ... I rent tables to other technicians in my salon.

Votes: 6 6.9%
  • I am ... I employ one other technician in the salon.

Votes: 5 5.7%
  • I employ 2 technicians or more.

Votes: 7 8.0%
  • I am mobile and do not have a salon.

Votes: 27 31.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think I have only had my business for 4 years and have employed quite a few staff some good some bad. Yes some have tried to pinch clients, bad mouthed me etc etc some have a big ego and think they know best. Yes I consider myself to be a good boss ie Pay well treat them with respect however as with all people most have there own agenda which is fine thats how we are made people do things for themselves even when we give to charity we do it because it make us feel good and thats ok . But if they are to suceed they will have to go through the same process I have ie; work very hard some times for little reward, have staff that do what they did to me to them, so I have learnt not to take it persoanally and as long as I am ethical and work hard and treat my clients with respect always be willing to learn and some times let others have the lime light I will be alright and try not to get involved with the bad mouthing even when you bite your tongue so hard it draws blood lol :lol:

Hope thats not to deep but thats how I am .

Bye for now
Sarah

I started my salon just over a year ago, found out I was pregnant just a few days before signing the final leasing papers but made the decision to go ahead anyway. I took on a nail tech who had been unsuccessful in her own business and was happy to trust her knowing she had decided she would prefer to work for someone else.
just weeks before my baby was due, she demanded a pay rise or would leave, I obviously didn't argue. She then left anyway eight weeks after my baby was born, leaving me to work long hours alone.
She contacted loads of clients and some were taken... I felt quite stupid as having the baby my eye was taken off the ball and she had been in a position to easily persuade clients..... She is still unsuccessful. working part time in another local salon, part time in another town and also mobile.
I have rebuilt my business, but find it extremely dificult to trust new staff, even though it would make my life much easier to do so.
Sue:(

I work in a partnership. I 100% trust my business partner and I know she feels the same. The work spread is odd because my she has a young baby, but my youngest is 3 so I have more spare time, but she makes up for it by doing more admin and collecting my children from school etc.

We are financially committed to each other, and it is in both our interests to keep it all on the level. We have a proper partnership agreement which we review regularly. We have an agreement that anything we discuss about the business will never affect our friendship.

In previous (non nail) businesses I have had terrible staff problems, which is why I have avoided it this time. At least nails doesn't bring unions into it - that was a real battle for me.

I have also been on the other side of the fence, working for a company who did not appreciate my efforts or reward them (financially or otherwise), and despite me finding them huge projects from which they made a lot of money, they sat back and watched the cash roll in doing no work themselves. Eventually I left with two other senior members of staff to work for ourselves, they had no business left because we were the business. We made no effort to take their exsiting cutomers, the customers found us as it was us and not the company that they needed. Lesson from this is - always make sure the staff feel valued and appropriately rewarded. If your business is based on them - they have you over a barrel. If the staff feel that the arrangement is more advantageous to you than it is to them, they will be unhappy and moan about you behind your back, steal, cheat or leave. Ask your staff what they feel would be fair and review it often, and always ensure the client gets something from your salon that means they want the salon more than the technician. (reward system, good relationship with YOU, loyalty discounts)

To quote my father "This business would be great if only we didn't have the staff or the customers!"

Ellas advise is just so SO GOOD.

Read and learn from it. Especially the bit about partners!!

My brother who lives in Alaska (a bit rough and ready but a diamond of a man) has had a successful partnership for over 20 years. I asked him what his secret was. He said he felt it was that each partner had separate areas of responsibility within the business and neither could do the other's job.
My brother is the accountant his partner is the quantitiy surveyor etc. They both have 100% trust in each other and each other's ability.

The reply above was great too. When some staff disappoint you ... keep your head down and go on doing your best work without the badmouthing. Seldom do people who 'do you dirty' do well themselves ... this is true ... because their nature comes out in their business. I am getting old enough now to have seen it so many times I can't tell you.
What goes 'round comes 'round.

sawasdee ka

i have had many staff problem b4 i have 2 work my salon pia and prowl i teach them every thing i learn and i pay for education for them learn air brush .

when them use me to learn all about everything i learn they go rent a salon in cnn hotel and we have never speak 1 time after .

they not even have good heart for speak to me they wait i go bkk and telephone me speak them leaving my salon close for 3 or 4 days .

i think if you can work with family always better for sure .

mui from Thailand

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back