star nails manicure and pedicure course

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

emmalouisa

Reaction score
hi has anyone done this course just wondered wat u guys thought of the course???

didnt know they did a man & ped course. how much is it? i did my man & ped at college and nail art and extensions with star nails - they do a total technician one which incorporates man but you need to do ped on a workshop.

I've done the manicure and I liked it a lot, and I think that they are doing an offer on the pedicure at the mo

hi caz yeah just found out ive decided to go the star nails way well was told to by my other half lol

ive just brought the whole mani and pedi kit from them they do 2 days training for £120 1 day mani 1 day pedi
you think i should stiock with doin my vtct in september?
hi louise have u done your vtct or just the star nails course??

I did both hun- but a 6 months apart, May 2003 did the Total Technicians Course using Fibreglass (didnt include pedicure)..... then in September did the VTCT which included manicure but I chose to do this to learn about L&P and learn more skills -

Upto you hun and your budget at the end of the day

emmalouisa said:
hi caz yeah just found out ive decided to go the star nails way well was told to by my other half lol

ive just brought the whole mani and pedi kit from them they do 2 days training for £120 1 day mani 1 day pedi
you think i should stiock with doin my vtct in september?
hi louise have u done your vtct or just the star nails course??
How come Jon decided for you???? Will you then go on to do Star Nails 4 day extensions course? You're already booked to do nail art later this month arent you? As Lou said, its up to you with regards to the VTCT. I did my man and ped at college as it gives you a really sound base but that didnt include nail extensions at all.

I did the total tech course which included, mani, four day acrylic, one day nail art.

lol jon was going on about the money i was spending and star nail products are cheaper.

emmalouisa said:
lol jon was going on about the money i was spending and star nail products are cheaper.
lol does that mean that you've got to revise your entire price list and website to take off all the Creative stuff??!!!

arh but cheapest dont always last longest..

At the end of the day you can use whatever products you want after (well, except for Creative L&P products!) but the important thing is to get the training at the price you can afford.

Hi Emma

I started out with a company called 'the nail company' who is a distributor of Star Nails. It was megga money then as not alot of people did it.

Why have you had to buy the whole kit?

I thought on their courses the kits were free with the course, that way you can get a feel of the products.

The courses are good you get a really informative package and there is alot to take in, but you do most of your training at home on helpful people, partners.LOL.

Anyone thinking of going for their NVQ levels, go for it you learn so much with all the study and practice and soon it becomes second nature and best of all it is a wonderfull feeling when you pass.

BUT don't forget that is just the start there is numerous amounts of knowledge out there and more and more training, i will tell you it is addictive.

Enjoy.

smiler13334 said:
Hi Emma

I started out with a company called 'the nail company' who is a distributor of Star Nails. It was megga money then as not alot of people did it.

Why have you had to buy the whole kit?

I thought on their courses the kits were free with the course, that way you can get a feel of the products.

The courses are good you get a really informative package and there is alot to take in, but you do most of your training at home on helpful people, partners.LOL.

Anyone thinking of going for their NVQ levels, go for it you learn so much with all the study and practice and soon it becomes second nature and best of all it is a wonderfull feeling when you pass.

BUT don't forget that is just the start there is numerous amounts of knowledge out there and more and more training, i will tell you it is addictive.

Enjoy.
Star Nails dont provide the kits, they are extra on top of the cost of the course.

I've just enrolled at the local college to do Pedicure/Manicure night classes - this was only because they're not doing Waxing this year!!!! :( But you know what they say...... Idle hands. So I start that in September, it cost about £140 but I know at the end of it I will be properly qualified and will review the manicures that I was taught on my NVQ (which is a bonus coz I was in Bulgaria and missed most of it!!! :o )

That's always an option, and I know it takes longer but I much prefer to be taught properly rather than two day crash courses and left to practise on anybody who will let you.

That's also why I'm willing to wait until next year when the Waxing is re-introduced into the College curriculum rather than paying £85 + vat for a one day course at Salon Services. Better to be trained properly I think.

Rant over!

Hope you're all fine. x

Sherry2k said:
I've just enrolled at the local college to do Pedicure/Manicure night classes - this was only because they're not doing Waxing this year!!!! :( But you know what they say...... Idle hands. So I start that in September, it cost about £140 but I know at the end of it I will be properly qualified and will review the manicures that I was taught on my NVQ (which is a bonus coz I was in Bulgaria and missed most of it!!! :o )

That's always an option, and I know it takes longer but I much prefer to be taught properly rather than two day crash courses and left to practise on anybody who will let you.

That's also why I'm willing to wait until next year when the Waxing is re-introduced into the College curriculum rather than paying £85 + vat for a one day course at Salon Services. Better to be trained properly I think.

Rant over!

Hope you're all fine. x
Just because a course is 4 days (or 2) doesnt mean that you're not "trained properly". Star Nails and Creative foundation courses are 4 days - does that mean you think we're not trained properly???? Its just a different way of training: on the 4 day courses you are there for full days whereas in college its a few hours.

Hi Emma
Just a note of caution, (although I bow to anyone with first hand knowledge of Star nails manicure course), we had a girl on our nail gel training course that had done a manicure course with them and to be honest she was absolutely clueless. It was her first venture into nails as she wants to do them on herself, but it was very worrying for all us pros as she had really learnt very little on this course. She had been shown a manicure, performed a manicure and very little else. She did not understand contra-indications, nail conditions etc and I did complain to the company we were training with that her course was inadequate to allow her loose into the world of nails.

If she's willing to learn from books and the internet she can of course fill in the gaps in her knowledge, but of course that will be her decision, she will not have to!

I have completed all my training through colleges although having completed my VTCT course in Unit 19, I am feeling that it was inadequate compared to the good things you hear about the Creative Foundation Courses.

Anyway, think hard about what you do; it's too easy to spend a lot of money and get very little return for it. I spent three years at college from age 16 onwards and I learnt a lot! However as we all know you never stop learning, but don't be in too much of a rush to do it all as quick as you can. You will benefit from learning with the passage of time as well as "quick fixes" so to speak!

Just my thoughts, HTH

Do-it-all Deb said:
Hi Emma
Just a note of caution, (although I bow to anyone with first hand knowledge of Star nails manicure course), we had a girl on our nail gel training course that had done a manicure course with them and to be honest she was absolutely clueless. It was her first venture into nails as she wants to do them on herself, but it was very worrying for all us pros as she had really learnt very little on this course. She had been shown a manicure, performed a manicure and very little else. She did not understand contra-indications, nail conditions etc and I did complain to the company we were training with that her course was inadequate to allow her loose into the world of nails.

If she's willing to learn from books and the internet she can of course fill in the gaps in her knowledge, but of course that will be her decision, she will not have to!

I have completed all my training through colleges although having completed my VTCT course in Unit 19, I am feeling that it was inadequate compared to the good things you hear about the Creative Foundation Courses.

Anyway, think hard about what you do; it's too easy to spend a lot of money and get very little return for it. I spent three years at college from age 16 onwards and I learnt a lot! However as we all know you never stop learning, but don't be in too much of a rush to do it all as quick as you can. You will benefit from learning with the passage of time as well as "quick fixes" so to speak!

Just my thoughts, HTH

Debs...I did the Star 4 Day Course and yes contra-indications were covered and what to do regarding contra-actions etcm and having now done my VCTC there was some elements not coverd in this that were in the Star course and vice verts...

My trainer was very good and I felt I passed with just cause, maybe both the student and trainer were at fault here. I felt fully armed to embark on a new career ......and it was made clear to my class that this was the start of a journey not the be all and end all...I'd thought I woud post this just to let you know that not all the course are inadequate...

I have to say i agree with Fab Freak. I also did the Star Nails Six Day course which was a total technicians course.As i said before you did a one day mani, four day Nail extension course in chosen system, then a one day nail art course, now we were told about contra-indications, all sorts of nail disorders, nail shapes, we were provided with course material which is then up to you to read and learn to also gain more knowledge on this.

i have to say there were two other girls that did it with me, that obviously weren't really interested in learning all the physiology and chemical side of anything so never bothered to do any studying. They struggled badly when it came to the exam, where as i didn't, as i wanted, and still do, to learn as much as i could. My trainer actually said to me that she would gratefully help me in any way as i obviously wanted to learn and make myself a better tech, but she had a hard time trying to help the other two. i think with any course the more time and effort you put in, the more you will get out.

At the end of the day you have to want to learn as much as possible which means buying the books for reference and doing courses regularly to keep up with new developments within the industry. No matter how long you are in this business for, you can never know it all. Just make sure you get themost out of whatever course you do.

Just my thoughts

I agree with Louise and Wendy: Although I did my VTCT in Unit 19 in manicure & pedicure in college, I did nail art and nail extension foundation course with Star Nails. I found them to be very good and their course literature was extremely well written and very understandable and I learnt stuff that i hadnt learnt on my college course. My hubby has a saying which is "judge every case on its merit" (he's in the legal profession!!) and i do really think this applies.

I have to agree with other posts on this and think Sherry2K should be cautious. I thought the same as Sherry2K and now I know better! I thought doing a course over a longer period of time would give me more practice and time to take it in but that wasn't the case. Yes it's taking me longer but I'm not getting taught properly and the tutor doesn't care and the college back her up despite complaints from our class and other classes. I'm spending a lot of time doing this on my own and getting help from this site and babtac site. You will find also that the products you use in college are inferior and that manicurists don't use them.

Pick your college very very carefully. I thought I'd got all the right answers to the questions I asked but that as they say is good public relations nothing more. You might find that the two day tutor is at least interested in teaching you properly.

Alternatively there are good private colleges that take several weeks like Brentwood Academy.

Latest posts

Back