Start up mobile tanning business, lots of questions! help?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AISMCCS

Reaction score
Just recently qualified in white to brown spray tanning.

I've a lot of questions and would really appreciate some advice.

1. what kind of machine and tent should i buy? not looking anything too expensive right now. is £200 enough to budget for this? Also worried about over spray! want a tent that doesn't allow for much of this
2. what type of tan should i use? white to brown is a bit expensive (£xx for 1L) not restricted to this but would want something of good quality and a recognized brand
3. where should i get insurance from? or is it necessary? i've been quoted about £50 for the year of an online site.. not keen on the idea of patch tests if im mobile as this could become difficult
4. should i have them sign something for this? if so what should i include?
4. how much tan will i be using per person? im thinking aprox 60ml?
5. i've calculated if i price at £15 per tan i need to do aprox 70 to break even for buying everything from hairnets to spray guns.. how many tans can i expect to be doing per week as a mobile service?
6. advertising? how can i start getting myself seen? thinking of groupon, gumtree etc. starting a FB page and a like and share competition etc
7. tunics? do i need to wear ones in clients homes?

any tips or suggestions GREATLY appreciated

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey! I used to do mobiles spray tanning years ago and have just got back into it but am now offering it from home as I can make more money and fit in more people.

Here’s what I have bought and do -

I use la tanning solution I love it! I also bought there kit (tent and everything)! They have loads of offers online and th the customer service is great!

£50 sounds about right for insurance, I would Defo get client consultations cards signed and would also check if the tanning solution you use has nuts in as some people have allergies to these. I use salon gold insurance

I use approx 50ml tan per person

Your marketing strategy sounds good - I offer group bookings for mobile tanning so if there are 5 or more the host goes free

I would get a tunic it looks a lot more professional and your clothes could get stained!

The machine I use is a HVLP machine and brand theyre all the same. These guns are great for control. You only need a normal spray tanning tent, this catches all the over spray.

You can use any tan you like, they are all compatible with any gun. I use Morroccan Tan and love it.

You don't want to use more than 50ml per person. As long as the spray is sitting nicely on the skin at around 40-50ml.

I charge €20 and this gives me €xx profit, with €5 for sticky feet, hair nets and solution.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey! I used to do mobiles spray tanning years ago and have just got back into it but am now offering it from home as I can make more money and fit in more people.

Here’s what I have bought and do -

I use la tanning solution I love it! I also bought there kit (tent and everything)! They have loads of offers online and th the customer service is great!

£50 sounds about right for insurance, I would Defo get client consultations cards signed and would also check if the tanning solution you use has nuts in as some people have allergies to these. I use salon gold insurance

I use approx 50ml tan per person

Your marketing strategy sounds good - I offer group bookings for mobile tanning so if there are 5 or more the host goes free

I would get a tunic it looks a lot more professional and your clothes could get stained!

A lot of people (family members etc) are putting me off going a head with this.. that it won't be worth my time etc.

Did you find it was a nuisance packing all your kit and setting up/taking down etc? like was the profit worth it all?

A lot of people (family members etc) are putting me off going a head with this.. that it won't be worth my time etc.

Did you find it was a nuisance packing all your kit and setting up/taking down etc? like was the profit worth it all?

If I’m honest it wasn’t so much the unpacking packing and I just use to put it all in a suitcase it was more the hassle of driving to somebody, having to leave early etc.. because of traffic and I didn’t think the profit was worth it! That is why I only do mobile spray tans if there is a min of 4ppl xxx

Latest posts

Back