Starter kit

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sarahw89

Reaction score
Just a quick question roughly how many colours is a good number for a starter kit when you first start out doing nails? What kind of colours do you recommend making sure you have?

And just out of interest how many colours does your kit contain now

I think one of each colour group is fine eg a red,pink,purple, nude etc then add according to your clients taste otherwise you could end up with lots that don't get used. I don't have a huge amount of colours but seem to have enough choice and even then they struggle to decide! My ladies tend to like reds and pinks and nudes so I stick with them..... I also usually put new colour collections on my fb page and ask for feedback before I buy x

ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1487166696.293257.jpg
you can see my collection here, not a huge amount as you can see but works fine x

Thank you. Unrelated but I love your little area, kinda thing I will need :)

Following ! Im just getting back into things and am still struggling to get everything together with not buying to much but not leaving my self short of something vital ! Which brand do you plan to use sarah?

I love your set up ClaireyFairy! Id never have thought of doing something like that under the stairs ! what a fabulous idea ! x

Thank you! I got kicked out of my room when my girls decided they didn't want to share so it was the only space I could find! Doesn't quite work for all my beauty treatments tho so I'm still hoping for a cabin or garage conversion one day!! X

ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1487170693.598567.jpg
ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1487170736.898149.jpg
here is it set up for other bits if it helps anyone! Slightly odd use of a hall way I know but what can you do! Lol x

I'm at college at the minute doing an evening course and I plan to do ibd course next month x

its not weird , its blooming genius ! :D !

which brands do you use ? ive been looking at shellac because ive found the perfect red , the pefect nude and so on - but the initial start up cost is so high !

Where abouts in Essex are you based? x

I started with 5 I now have about 30 [emoji33]
ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1487281812.247296.jpg

gorgeous colour range Hairyclairey !! Which range do you use? x

its not weird , its blooming genius ! :D !

which brands do you use ? ive been looking at shellac because ive found the perfect red , the pefect nude and so on - but the initial start up cost is so high !

Where abouts in Essex are you based? x

Lol thanks, I use shellac but have a few ibd and gelish which are equally fine, I just prefer shellac for application and removal. I have built mine up really slowly as I only work a few hours around my children. I wouldn't worry too much just pick a good brand and add to it when you can. I think cnd have some good shellac packages? Or wait for vat free day if you go for something like gelish. With summer coming you can also add a few glitters to give you more of a range.... [emoji3]X

I love the shellac range and purchased the whole kit from sweet squared before when I had planned to get up and running and only ever did it on family and they all either lifted or chipped within a couple of days [emoji85] it really knocked my confidence which as why I didn't want to make a full on go of it . But then found they was still gardening washing up house clearing etc without gloves and there was no aftercare or thought taken into it - so may not have been completely my fault as it happens ! X

Ohh , forgot to ask ! Because you use a couple of each , do you use all different lamps or just one lamp for the one you use the most ?? I'll also be working it around my little ones whilst their at school so will also be building it slowly ! X

Just the cnd lamp as that is compatible with all the polishes. I also use the gelish base and top coat for my ibd as was told this is fine. But with shellac it must be the whole cnd system including lamp x

Each range needs its own lamp otherwise it's not cured properly.

You won't be insured if you haven't got the right lamp from authorised suppliers.

That's what I thought fluffycloudland , but even when I did my training - I only trained in gels and was no problem and that you could use a universal lamp for more than one brand ! That followed by shellac being the one that needs its own lamp because it wasn't a polish ! But so many ladies on here Have said the opposite x

I have only heard that shellac had to be used with its own lamp. Probably best to contact the company you want to use and ask them directly. I have never had a problem with my gelish or ibd with my cnd lamp tho x

Thank you I use gellux...... there's so many more I want [emoji7]
Ive looked at gellex and a few others and cant decide.. also looked at.geleration. what brand do u use when doing acrylic/gel nails? Tia x

Latest posts

Back