Starter kits - best buys

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lexminikins

Reaction score
Hi All,

When I decide what training academy or college I go to most of them say buy starter kits or charge various prices to buy their own.

Do you recommend any good places to buy?

Thanks,

Lex

Your training provider will be able to advise you what products you'll need and can recommend where to purchase.

When I went to college I had to buy their kit. Half of it I didn't even use again but think its so you have everything the same as everyone etc.

Hi Lex
I've started beauty training about a month ago, and I can choose whether to buy from the school or from suppliers. I did buy some from the school but I also like to look at individual suppliers to see the products in the kits. You should ask for a detailed kit list- eg not just ''wax kit'' but ask what exactly they want you to bring for the course or you need to do case studies. They may tell you wax heaters are provided in the class but you will need to have your own to practice at home. Kits vary alot and I choose what I feel is best for ME (affordability, the product appeals to me e.g. ingredients, etc). I have signed up to alot of suppliers and requested catalogues and then go through them to decide what I want.

Not all companies will give you a discount as a student, or even sell you products and some have a delivery fee or say you have to buy a certain amount of stock (especially skin care products) or pay for delivery so this affects my choice too. I recommend Salonserve and Salons Direct as I've ordered kits from them. I've read many glowing reviews on skin care products (like dermalogica) but then you can't actually buy them if you're a student/mobile or starting up as you cannot get an account or meet the minimum order requirements. You really need to dig around to find what you can actually buy sometimes! Good luck ; )

Thanks Cindy, your way is the way I was thinking of going. I am going to get a full list. My sister has started up her own salon so luckily I can order through her and she has a lot of the stuff I need already, I just need to top up. x

Thanks Cindy, your way is the way I was thinking of going. I am going to get a full list. My sister has started up her own salon so luckily I can order through her and she has a lot of the stuff I need already, I just need to top up. x

Hi there, please do check with your college first. A lot of colleges insist that you buy your kit from a specific supplier or from the college, you could end up spending a lot of money and find you are not allowed to use it.
If they just give you a list then the two places that offer the best prices are;
Beauty express and salon serve.
I would still say, buy as little as possible, save your money and go to excel beauty show, the show prices are very good and your college may actually take you there.
hth x

Latest posts

Back