Starting a mobile nail business!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nails Unveiled

Reaction score
Hello,
I've recently completed my manicure and pedicure courses and gel course. I have my tip application and sculpture course in a couple weeks and then nail art after that. My plan is to start a mobile business but hoped to get some information and advice from those in the know. So here I am! At the moment I am speaking to friends and family about my intentions and how I will soon be offering treatments and prices will be released as soon as I have completed my last course. I have quite a bit of interest so far. So my question is, where do I start?? If I create a business name does that mean I have to register as a business for tax purposes even though I am unlikely to be taking many clients for the first few months/year? Do I need to register my home as a business on the insurance if I will be mobile? How do you go about advertising through fb and Twitter etc. I've been inclined not to start advertising yet under a business name incase it's not legal without registering with hmrc first etc. Basically any advice you can give me on how you went about starting up your own businesses would be great. I've been in nursing for the last ten years and so this is an entirely new kettle of fish for me and I decided this year to finally take the plunge into a career that I have always enjoyed and I'm really keen to make it work.
Thanks in advance for your help

Hi, it's all so exciting starting your own business!
You don't need to register yourself as self employed straight away - bear in mind that you can earn £2000 a year without telling HMRC...check this on their website though...I would start doing friends and family and see how much you are earning...you can register anytime as self employed and put a start date in the past so no worries there...new tax year just about to start so see how you get on.
I told my insurers I'm a mobile therapist and so have to use my home address. If you want to do treatments at your house then you may need to call your local council for their rules etc.
Hope that helps and good luck with it all!
Ruth xx

Oh thanks Ruth! thats really good to know! I will double check on HMRC website. I did think there was a certain amount of work you could do without applying so will check it out!! I dont have any plans to use my house as a salon untl at least both my children are at school then im stealing their playroom and that will be my salon!! hee hee! few years to go till then though! How long have you been doing mobile beauty? Do you get plenty of work? Do you do it full time?

Thanks for your reply!

Kate x

I've always been mobile since qualifying in 2007...have built up my business around my son and now have loads of clients and really busy! I work while he's at school and evenings/weekends...I now earn pretty much the same or more than when I was doing a desk job! Love it!
It's hard work but very rewarding and I would never want to work for anyone but myself now.
Good luck! X

Great stuff!! Good to know it's still a viable option to work around kids and still make enough of a living!!
I'm just trying to think about how I split my time at the moment. I've been talking to various groups of friends/aquatintences about offering them some introductory offers (to get them in and give them a good deal to start with) I've been thinking about what offers to give and how I can best use my time. I've thought about having an offer on as part of the launch like a pamper party (for nails) so say £20 per person (up to 4/5 people) for set of gel nails including a glass of prosecco each for the launch? My only issue with this is the time involved. As I'm only starting out, I guess I'm not going to be as quick as a pro so thinking that 4/5 people is a lot of time spent, people might not want me hanging around for 4/5hrs? To begin with it will be friends so I guess I can trial it and see how long it takes to do say 3 and at least because we're mates it wouldn't be awkward being at their houses and them having me round because they know me? But would give me a chance to plan my time better for future clients? Have you ever done nail parties? How do you work them or have you avoided then because they don't really work?? What I don't want to do is commit myself to a party then struggle to get everyone done and leave with a bad rep after the first client!!!

I did client parties in my salon, I only offered on a Saturday evening so as not to interfere with my regular appointments. I use to ask what each person would be having - extensions, gel polish, manicure - so I knew roughly how long it would take me. I would also nip to lidl and get a few bottles of cheap wine, some nibbles and party food. I would pull chairs round my work table and pop some music on. I'd have all guests finished before supplies ran out and had quite a few parties come back when it was another birthday, wedding, whatever. Price wise, I gave the host a 50% discount, but most parties tipped really well. If you're not sure on your timings yet defo practice on a group of your friends first to give you an idea of time so you can let the hosts know when booking. Good luck

When I do pamper parties I avoid gels if I can...I would get some friends round and just do regular polish as it will be good practice...you need to be able to work and chat! It's a skill! I stick to 15-20mins per treatment xx

Yes this is what I'm wondering if I should only offer manicures and pedicures rather than gel etc?

You need to keep the treatments short at Pamper Parties...massage, shape and paint is all I would do on nails...x

Thanks! Yes your right, I couldn't see how I could make it work with gel because I think 5 is a good number of people but then it would just take me too long!! Thanks for advice x

Latest posts

Back