Starting a nail business

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Do-it-all Deb

Reaction score
Hi, I have just registered today although I've been reading the messages for quite some time. Some things confuse me such as what is lol when it's not at the end of a message. Is it still lots of love?

I am a beauty therapist of many years experience and therefore do many things other than nails hence my user id do-it-all! By the way will this be a problem having the hyphens in the name?

I currently work from home but am thinking of approaching a local hairdresser to set up a nail station. I have recently trained in Calgel with a student from the local college and am wondering about asking her to set up with me as I only want to work two days a week outside of home. I do not know her very well altough she seems lovely and committed to being a nail tech. She is thinking of setting up a mobile nail tech this summer.

If I don't work with her, she will be setting up a rival business in a system (Calgel) that is not currently in our town. It would seem better to try and work together rather than as rivals.

I have read quite a lot of info on the site but am still undecided as to what to do. Any help much appreciated!

PS I realise I've asked too many questions in one thread!

LOL - means laugh out loud.

Do-it-all Deb said:
Hi, I have just registered today although I've been reading the messages for quite some time. Some things confuse me such as what is lol when it's not at the end of a message. Is it still lots of love?

I am a beauty therapist of many years experience and therefore do many things other than nails hence my user id do-it-all! By the way will this be a problem having the hyphens in the name?

I currently work from home but am thinking of approaching a local hairdresser to set up a nail station. I have recently trained in Calgel with a student from the local college and am wondering about asking her to set up with me as I only want to work two days a week outside of home. I do not know her very well altough she seems lovely and committed to being a nail tech. She is thinking of setting up a mobile nail tech this summer.

If I don't work with her, she will be setting up a rival business in a system (Calgel) that is not currently in our town. It would seem better to try and work together rather than as rivals.

I have read quite a lot of info on the site but am still undecided as to what to do. Any help much appreciated!

PS I realise I've asked too many questions in one thread!

Hmmm tough choice it would be good to work along side someone and share the advertising costs and promote each other as one business but at the same time are you going to be having to pay out more to work with her ie rent etc which you don't have the cost of working from home. Think you need to see how much money you could poss make compared to costs of doing so if you see what I mean.

I would definately think about this hard before going into business with anyone, especially someone you don't really know. Talking from experience i did the same thing with someone who seemed to be commited and full of ideas which i felt were good. But what started out great to begin with soon went sour. She had other ideas to myself and wasn't always prepared to try new things even though it would have helped. Also i found i ended up doing all the ground work like accounts, advertising etc but it wasn't how she wanted it. We both had strong ideas and wanted things done a certain way but if you can't get on it doesn't work. Plus it could end up costing you in the long run.

Two years down the line we are no longer business partners, rarely speak to each other and all due to us having conflicting ideas on how to run a business.

It could work out fine but at the end of the day when you are on your own, you say when, you say where and you say how much!!

You only answer to yourself, you take all the credit as you have done the hard work and to be honest a bit of healthy competition never hurt anyone. You just have to make sure you do that little bit more to make it special for your client. Quality speaks for itself, so let it speak.

Hope this helps:biggrin:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back