Starting a unisex salon

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

michlee39

Reaction score
Hi

I am looking at opening a salon in my area but this is going to be the first time I've done this. I have put on buy & sell sites that I am "thinking about" turning one of the vacant shops in our village into a salon and the response has been very positive. I'm nervous as hell about this but feel that its a massive opportunity to let go. I am a qualified level 3 hairdresser and I'm currently at the end of my level 2 barbering.

can anyone give me some helpful tips before I sign my life away? :0)

Thanks
Michelle

Hi
I can’t recommend putting a business plan together enough. Don’t do anything until you know what the business will look like and understand fully your cash flows. Spend some quality time doing this. Probably the best piece of advice I can give. :)

Thanks for your advice. I've got a standard business plan it's not very in depth.

I agree with @salonfrog with this.
Don’t jump in feet first until you’re absolutely sure about what you’re doing and have a detailed plan worked out, plus plenty of savings to get you through the slower months.
Owning a business (and managing staff) brings its own challenges and whilst some people thrive, many struggle because they assume that the people skills they’ve developed as a hairdresser will be adequate.
You need a work hard mentality because no-one else will put in as much effort for your business and you need a very thick skin because the buck stops with you.

Once you’ve got your plans and preparation in place, give it your best shot. Best of luck!

There's loads to take into account - your potential clientele, your business model (booth renting, hiring staff), predicted expenditures, marketing activities, suppliers, insurance.

But if the response is looking positive then you're going to do well. Take it step by step and you'll do great! heres some extra tips you can find - https://www.versum.com/m/blog/business-plan-for-hairdressing-salon/

Latest posts

Back