Starting again and need advice

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LNB2304

Reaction score
Hi all

I’m looking for some advice and just generally to see if anyone has had to start from the beginning again? Sorry for the long post but here is the back story...

I used to have a home nail salon which I worked evening and Saturdays. I was quite busy and it worked well for me around my children. I loved doing nails (just CND Shellac) but also offered lashes. My specialty was nail art.

I separated from my then husband and had to get another job. Fast forward a few years and I have remarried and I now am in a position to work from home again. I set up a room in my house as a nail salon and was all ready to go but... I just felt deflated. I had lost all my clients which of course I would (it’s been 3 years!) but for some reason hadn’t prepared for that. I shortly stopped advertising and basically quit. This was a few months ago.

I can’t stop thinking about working for myself again ( I currently am fortunate enough to not have to work so I have no job to give up) and I understand it would be a complete fresh start. I know it can be done as when I first started I had no clients and built it up. I’m due a baby in September but I’m so keen to get started now.

Have any of you had to start from the beginning again and how did you find it?

Thanks in advance for any replies x

Hi can’t really give you any advice as I’m at the beginning again lol constantly posting here.

I’m doing the courses and looking for a room.

Good luck

Hi can’t really give you any advice as I’m at the beginning again lol constantly posting here.

I’m doing the courses and looking for a room.

Good luck

Thank you for taking the time to reply [emoji4] What courses are you doing? Did you use to do beauty? If so what made you want to start again?

Thank you for taking the time to reply [emoji4] What courses are you doing? Did you use to do beauty? If so what made you want to start again?
Hiya I’m hopefully doing a henna brow course and I want to do Kim lawless wax course

Then I want to do a lash lift course! Lol

I’m a beauty therapist but had a break having babies.

I need to get a room though, this is proving harder than I thought

I too, am in the same position. I have a cabin in my garden and want to start offering a one to one service. I am wandering how to charge, and wish I felt more confidence. [emoji849] I have been a carer for my daughter for a long time, she has moved on into independent living, so all new for me. !!

I too, am in the same position. I have a cabin in my garden and want to start offering a one to one service. I am wandering how to charge, and wish I felt more confidence. [emoji849] I have been a carer for my daughter for a long time, she has moved on into independent living, so all new for me. !!
Ooh good luck!

I’m envious, I’d love a beauty room in my garden and it’s what I eventually do when I get more money!
If you have any tips on your cabin, please share!

Hiya I’m hopefully doing a henna brow course and I want to do Kim lawless wax course

Then I want to do a lash lift course! Lol

I’m a beauty therapist but had a break having babies.

I need to get a room though, this is proving harder than I thought

Ah good luck! I did the Kim Lawless course and it was fab. If you haven’t already maybe try on Facebook for a room. I often see people asking on a group called ‘ATB Hair and Beauty’ about rooms to rent

Thanks for your reply [emoji4] I guess you should look into what people charge in your area and work out your costs and what you are happy to charge. As for confidence, maybe some refresher courses may help. I also go by ‘fake it until you make it’!

Ah good luck! I did the Kim Lawless course and it was fab. If you haven’t already maybe try on Facebook for a room. I often see people asking on a group called ‘ATB Hair and Beauty’ about rooms to rent

I haven’t tried! Thank you!
Did you come away from the Kim lawless course feeling confident I’m what you were doing?

What wax system do you use? I’m going to have to buy a new one as the one I use is phd warm wax system

I haven’t tried! Thank you!
Did you come away from the Kim lawless course feeling confident I’m what you were doing?

Yes I did although I don’t do waxing now as I personally really don’t enjoy it and kind of thought in the end that working for myself meant I didn’t have to do the treatments I don’t like. I had done Level 2 and 3 beauty at college so had studied waxing there but Kim Lawless was 100% better. If you like waxing it’s definitely worth it.

Ooh good luck!

I’m envious, I’d love a beauty room in my garden and it’s what I eventually do when I get more money!
If you have any tips on your cabin, please share!
Here are a couple of pictures. I haven't started properly yet, hoping to soon. [emoji140][emoji6]
IMG_20190214_224851_382.jpeg
IMG_20190214_225050_966.jpeg
IMG_20190214_225335_912.jpeg

I am a Beauty Therapist and am starting again after years of being away from it whilst I had my children. I’ve set up a dedicated room in my house and it’s proving to do well, so far. I don’t as yet have a website. I’m only on Facebook but in my first 2 weeks of opening I had about 14 clients which only averages at one a day but I’ve enjoyed the steady ness of it so far. Considering I’m an ‘invisible’ business I thought 14 clients in my first 2 weeks was good. That said, if I don’t get many more enquiries I will worry. Most if not all are telling me that will return and some have rebooked already. I’m hopeful this means I will build up to a full time income as I really don’t want to work for someone else. Good luck with your venture!

I am a Beauty Therapist and am starting again after years of being away from it whilst I had my children. I’ve set up a dedicated room in my house and it’s proving to do well, so far. I don’t as yet have a website. I’m only on Facebook but in my first 2 weeks of opening I had about 14 clients which only averages at one a day but I’ve enjoyed the steady ness of it so far. Considering I’m an ‘invisible’ business I thought 14 clients in my first 2 weeks was good. That said, if I don’t get many more enquiries I will worry. Most if not all are telling me that will return and some have rebooked already. I’m hopeful this means I will build up to a full time income as I really don’t want to work for someone else. Good luck with your venture!
Thanks, how are your prices, if you have just started up again? Did you do any offers? This is where I'm a bit unsure of what to do..

Size I will find out!!

Thanks, how are your prices, if you have just started up again? Did you do any offers? This is where I'm a bit unsure of what to do..

Although I have been away from it a while, I had 20 years actually working in the industry. After 20 years working in a variety of settings I was never going to forget how to do things and do them well. A bit like driving a car or riding a bike. Might need to practice speed and try out newer models but it’s the same otherwise. I worked out what I wanted to earn in an hour and considered the cost of products too. I did a set discount on everything I offer to get off the ground.

We should start s WhatsApp group share ideas encouragement etc!

Or is that a rubbish idea lol

We should start s WhatsApp group share ideas encouragement etc!

Or is that a rubbish idea lol

Hey if you still want to do this, feel free to message me your number [emoji4]

Latest posts

Back