Starting level 2 beauty therapy City and Guilds course advice

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Newtobeauty2020

Reaction score
Hi all :)

I am about to start my level 2 beauty therapy course in two weeks time. I am a slightly older student at age 30 and unfortunately gained quite a bit of weight during lockdown.

Will this put clients off coming to me for services?

And lastly, anyone got any advice to a newbie and what to expect?

Thanks all

Gosh no, your clients will be visiting you for your expertise in your treatments. Don't worry about your age either, I retrained in Beauty at 46. It can be a little daunting starting a course that may have a lot of very young students, but at 30 you are young too and after a few classes your confidence will show through.

Advice, the best I can say is do a lot of reading now before the course starts, call the college and ask what Beauty Book edition you I'll be using and either buy from them now, or order it online. Once you've read a bit, start watching you tube tutorials to see how the treatment is performed.

Good luck and joy the course.

Good luck Newtobeauty2020 and welcome to Salongeek. Being approachable, friendly and kind is much more important than looking glamorous.

You’re right to think that appearance matters - a smiling welcome of genuine greeting, plus an aura of self confidence will get you a lot further than a flat tummy.

As for advice. Teenagers can be hard work and they’ll be a few in your class I expect, fresh out of school and not yet accustomed to behaving and being treated like adults. They’ll adjust. I trained at 47 and I enjoyed the mix of different ages and life experiences of all the students alongside me.
1. Keep your notes organised.
2. Get hold of a copy of the syllabus and the assessment criteria and regularly review your progress and knowledge.
3. Learn your anatomy. You may not need to know a great deal of detail for your assessments but the knowledge will stand you in good stead for your career.
4. Practise constantly - friends, family and neighbours as well as students.
5. Enjoy the journey and make friends, Beauty is quite a small world.

I started to train in my early 30s and entered the industry at the age of 34. I’m a curvy girl and make no apologies for it, I am who I am. my uniform is always clean, my makeup fresh and my nails manicured. I’ve built up a fantastic client base and over the years my clients have always said how comfortable they feel around me. They trust my professionalism because I’m older and often confide in me. I’m not saying that’s better than somebody who has entered the profession at a younger age because of course they will have gained more experience by the time they get to my age then I have. However, I’m just saying that so long as you know your subject matter, ooze confidence and professionalism, your age can actually work in your favour. Good luck x

Latest posts

Back