Starting Level 2 Hair!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CharlotteAnn

Reaction score
So I'm starting my Level 2 in January and cannot wait to get going I've always loved hair and has always been my passion just been waiting for the right time to get going!!

I'm hoping to do level 3 after although is it true you need a salon placement in order to do level 3?

No, you don't always need a salon placement as it depends on the course.

You will need to ask around your local hairdressing colleges and academies for specific advice.

Hi,

I am starting L3 on Thursday and I do not require a placement for mine. Im doing NVQ L3 Hairdressing part time which is 1 day a week for 2 years. I think I needed to have a placement if I did the course full time. So I guess it depends on your chosen course.

Good luck with starting your L2

Sarah x

Good luck with level 3 I'm doing level 2 part time too! How did you find level ? X

That was supposed to say Level 2!!

Hi I've just started my level 3 and the majority of my class are not working in salons. I was told that they prefer you to be working part time and then I do mon,tues,wed at college but it is not essential.
The level 3 is quite hard going thought especially with having no salon experience so I would suggest looking for a job after you finish your level 2 at least.
We have been told we will be doing a 2 week placement in a salon as part of the course. We will be allocated a salin to work in for that 2 weeks :)
Good luck with L2

Was thinking the salon experience would help! I will have a look round to try and find a part time job! How did you find level 2?

Is it a 1 year course your level 2? Mine was and I found it ok, just asking as you don't leave everything to the last few months like many of my class did and they failed. Get clients in as soon as you feel your ready and get your basic assessments out the way. That's what I did and I done my cuts and colours towards the end, that way I only had to do the cuts I needed, didn't have to worry about getting someone with the right hair to knock off both a cut and a blowdry. Good luck x

Most colleges prefer it but its not essential, but to aid your learning and experience it does help, maybe try to get some voluntary work in a salon to start you off :) good luck with your course!! Xxx

My level 2 is a year, I've got friends and family lined up already so should be alright on that front. Glad that its not a requirement to have a salon placement but will definitely be looking around and try and get in somewhere!!

Thanks for your help! x

work experience is definatly beneficial whilst you are training, you will pick up loads just by observing and also gain confidence & experience in dealing with clients which is something you just can't teach! I work in a college and like yours it isn't compulsory on our courses. However we organise a placement for our level 1 & 2 students and at level 3 I tell them to try and gain a 1 day a week placement as ultimately they are doing the course to to try and find employment in the industry and without work experience on your c.v you are going to find it really difficult to get a salon job when you qualify. A lot of my students end up being offered jobs in their placements on qualifying as the salons have got to know them & built up a good relationship so it really does help you to build contacts as well as develop your skills. Good luck on your course xx

Sent from my iPad using SalonGeek mobile app

I agree would give me a lot more confidence as well when I do leave college! I sent loads of emails out on Saturday and contacted salons to see if I can come in once or twice a week and I now have a place in a salon one day a week! So happy! Thanks for all your help xx

Well done, that's great news x

Sent from my iPad using SalonGeek mobile app

In my personal opinion, after spending two years at college, if I could do it again I would go into a salon. I honestly think that you simply can't get the same education from college as you do a salon, learning from stylists not just teachers. In hindsight if I could go back and do it again is go to a salon no question.... Just something to think about. Maybe at the very least go into a salon around your course. Not only will it put you ahead of the game but it will also make you more employable and make your skills current. I opted for college because I needed to work/ career change around my job etc etc but knowing what I know now if live on brand on toast for a year whilst doing my apprenticeship if I had to!

Latest posts

Back