Starting out- free or not?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

calb84

Reaction score
Hi guys, I am just starting out and I have had 2 regular girls since I completed my training. I work 2 other jobs, so after work and weekends is when I do nails. I was contacted by a lady the other day who wants me to do her nails. Since I am new and this lady has not tried my product or me before, should i provide the first service free to entice her to come back if she likes my work and product or not?? I just thought if the first service was free she might be less critical and come back again like my other girls whom have stuck by me? Any thoughts?

Hi, I wouldn't say free. Believe in what your doing. You know you are good. If you want to offer something, maybe offer a % off and call it an introductory offer, not a 'I'm starting out' offer

As they say, charge what you are worth

X

Now lets look at this logically....this lady has asked you to do her nails, not the other way round sooooo she must have either seen your nails on one of the other ladies, or has heard of you and wants YOU to do her service...
If you are reasonably confident, then I would do the same, an introductory offer of say 20% off for new clients..(hopefully she will spread the word afterwards and you can apply this once to all new clients!!)

It took me a while to wise up, but now I only give a free service if I ask someone to be a model. If they ask ME for something, then I always charge..with a reduction if Ive only just finished training xx

Hiya, if you really want to give something to entice her back why not offer x% off her second treatment. She's already coming the first time without any offers so encourage her to come back and help to make it a habit for her! All the best with your new venture x

Hey sorry I would not offer anything off! She might expect it each time
An u don't want to lower your services have confidence in what u do! I would feel u weren't confident if u said that u wud give it free or % off!! That's my own opinion xx

Hey sorry I would not offer anything off! She might expect it each time
An u don't want to lower your services have confidence in what u do! I would feel u weren't confident if u said that u wud give it free or % off!! That's my own opinion xx

I agree , she has contacted you! So she must have heard something good, act confident even if you are a little nervous and your work will speak for itself, if she loves them when shes had them done she'll come back anyway, clients love to try and get things cheaper or free , you have to be in control from the start ,if you feel like you want to offer something why not do a loyalty card X amount of treatments then some kind of offer after however many treatments you put on the card that way she would have been coming to you for a while and you are thanking her for her loyalty, don't sell yourself short hun :hug:

so you have finished your training and are now QUALIFIED so why would you want to do something for free??even when ppl go to a college to have their nails done they still pay a price!!

i would work out a price that is competitive in your area and then like others have said if you are not confident in the nails that you produce i would offer a discount.

you have to remember that you are still giving your time and products which costs you and the client is still getting a set of nails!!

good luck and believe in yourself x

Remember if you were to do them free then it would be difficult to charge her once u become more confident,you want her telling her friends about you because your good and professional and create a cracking set of nails rather then her telling her friends you done them for free.

Xx

Latest posts

Back