Starting out, how many/what solutions to begin with?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CazCardiff

Reaction score
Sorry, Title should say Spray Tanning...

Im looking into kits etc and trying to find and work out the best deals, but How many different solutions should I start with? and what %?
Im thinking 3 or 4 which would include:
8%
10%
12%
A Fast tan solution too?
are 8 and 10% too close togther? would it be better to drop the 8% and get a 18%? Do people really ask for 18%?

Thanks for yuor help, its so hard trying to find whats best!

(Ive contacted loads of comapnies for samples and waiting for replies)
Caroline
x

Last edited:
I have

Obviously fresh indulgence

7.5 caribbean
9.5 Caribbean
11.5 Caribbean

I use a 9 and 7 revive too

I have used and like the rapid electric tab but I found little use for it and I actually prefer the other tan colours anyway

I had a bottle of la tan 18% and it was the worst colour ever. Looked like a mahogany stain more than a tan but that said I did use it on some clients. But I didn't buy another as I don't want to put my name to a tan that looks so ridiculous and un natural.

Now I use the fresh indulgence booster drops to get tans a little darker for those who want it x

I go through more 9.5 than anything else as I find it suit everyone and I use a lot of 7.5 for fair skinned people and first time tanners x

I think your right in thinking

8,10,12... I wouldn't waste your money on 18%. Or perhaps just buy a 250ml as it could well go off before u use an entire litre

Sorry, Title should say Spray Tanning...

Im looking into kits etc and trying to find and work out the best deals, but How many different solutions should I start with? and what %?
Im thinking 3 or 4 which would include:
8%
10%
12%
A Fast tan solution too?
are 8 and 10% too close together? would it be better to drop the 8% and get a 18%? Do people really ask for 18%?

Thanks for your help, its so hard trying to find whats best!

(Ive contacted loads of companies for samples and waiting for replies)
Caroline
x

At the beginning and while you presumably go through the practice stage just buy the 8% for this use as covers mmost...save your money just now
Once you get the hang of it purchase a 10% and so on...get used to what you use before buying a while range :wink2:
Good luck and NJOY

I should have just asked you shouldnt i? lol I knew you'd know the answer!
I was desperately trying to remember what you told me you had/used before lol.
(Cars all hoovered out ready for Saturday. Cant wait! Can you tell? lol)
xx

I should have just asked you shouldnt i? lol I knew you'd know the answer!
I was desperately trying to remember what you told me you had/used before lol.
(Cars all hoovered out ready for Saturday. Cant wait! Can you tell? lol)
xx

No cos everyone will have different opinions and views.

I don't like the colour of nouvatan and I don't like the fade off of sienna but others love them and they have happy customers too :)

No cos everyone will have different opinions and views.

I don't like the colour of nouvatan and I don't like the fade off of sienna but others love them and they have happy customers too :)

Ive read SO many threads on here now about solutions etc, it all makes your head spin. lol I got the comapnies narrowed down. (I want to offer different from what the local salon offers and other mobiles by me that I know use). Just waiting for them to come back to me and get my kit.
Thats bit almost sorted.
I wasnt sure what % to go for. Kits ive been looking at come with a couple of bottles and I'd rather pick ones I would use on clients, if that makes sense! lol
xx

Depends on the company cos some will let u pick the solutions u want and some don't xxx the salon we both know in middle of us use crazy angel and they aren't busy... Wether that's the tan or the therapist I can't comment x the other towards llandaff use tantruth x

Spray tanning is a minefield out there. And everyone likes different things, as you can see from this forum.

Definitely try some testers as they will give you an indication of what you like and when you first start out, always safe to use an 8% initially, as any mistakes you make are far less noticeable :biggrin:

Good luck with whichever you choose xx

Spray tanning is a minefield out there. And everyone likes different things, as you can see from this forum.

Definitely try some testers as they will give you an indication of what you like and when you first start out, always safe to use an 8% initially, as any mistakes you make are far less noticeable :biggrin:

Good luck with whichever you choose xx

Thank you :) I have some samples coming through, and cant wait for training on Saturday, then off I go testing and trying some out. xx

When I started I got 8, 10 and 12% then the Tonight's the Night (all Sienna).

I used 8 a lot at the beginning when I was scared and now use mostly a 10. I use Tonight's the Night on myself and have one client who loves it.

I hardly use the 12 and I can't imagine ppl using the 18 but I know they do!

it depends what company you go with and whether you can mix the solutions to make a certain percentage. some solutions for eg if you mix 100ml of 12% with 100ml of 8% you get 100ml of 10%, therefore this is great when you are first starting out and dont know how much solution you need. Really you could buy a bottle of 16% (or 20%) and 8% and make your own percentages in between. Like I say, some companies you can do this, and I would say that this should be another consideration when chosing a solution. good luck I am sure you will enjoy your training

are 8 and 10% too close togther?

I would say no, on my skin an 8% is far too light and the 10% is just right, again it depends entirely on the solution you use.

Do people really ask for 18%?
yes they most certainly do. The darkest solution I use is LA disco and have been asked to spray this twice to give the client really really dark

Last edited:
it depends what company you go with and whether you can mix the solutions to make a certain percentage. some solutions for eg if you mix 100ml of 12% with 100ml of 8% you get 100ml of 10%, therefore this is great when you are first starting out and dont know how much solution you need. Really you could buy a bottle of 16% (or 20%) and 8% and make your own percentages in between. Like I say, some companies you can do this, and I would say that this should be another consideration when chosing a solution. good luck I am sure you will enjoy your training

Just re-read that and its as clear as mud! lol

in a nutshell buy 2 bottles of solution 8% and 20% then make your own solutions by mixing the bottles (as long as the bbrand you chose is compatible with this)

I would say no, on my skin an 8% is far too light and the 10% is just right, again it depends entirely on the solution you use.

yes they most certainly do. The darkest solution I use is LA disco and have been asked to spray this twice to give the client really really dark

My good god twice with 18 disco! X

Latest posts

Back