Starting out in a summerhouse

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

goldigga

Reaction score
I'm looking to set up a hair & beauty salon from home and I'm looking at summerhouses,just looking for advice on sizing,obviously needs to be a good size but not want to spend a fortune on something and how easy is it to get a backwash fitted etc? Whats it like in winter? How do u heat them?Any advice appreciated thanks

I have been doing the same. I have had permission from my local council to work from home. I have been looking garden buildings. but not happy about paying business rates at the moment, so I will be starting out using part of my home until my home base clientele grows, to where I can give up mobile altogether.

I have been looking at portable cabins. There are some reasonably priced second hand ones out there if you shop around. You can get them with toilet and kitchen areas too. As they come ready assembled, a crane would need access to your garden or over your house.

Some years ago I worked part time to help friends start up their business and we worked from a portable cabin as an office. It had electric heaters and it was really comfortable during the winter.

Hi there, was it expensive and difficult to get permission to run a business from home.. I'm just about to start the same process for my garden room... I'm told if you build something specifically for a business then you need planning permission also for the building aswell as the building as you will need building regs also. My garden room has been my home gym for the past year xxxxxx

It has cost me nothing as I am not making any alterations. I wrote to my council to asking for permission. They responded with the following:

I can confirm the above is approved, subject to the following conditions:

1.That you obtain planning permission and/or building regulation approval, where necessary, from the council’s Planning department.

2.That any licences required are obtained.

3.That any police/health checks/reports and/or required references are obtained, from relevant agencies, if required.

4.That any building or public liability insurances are obtained, if required.

5.That you comply with Health & Safety/Environmental Health Regulations as regards to your proposed business.

6.That, if necessary, you consult with your neighbours and advise them of the start date and likely timescale of the duration of any building work.

7.That, if necessary, you consult with your neighbours and advise them of the start date of your business.

8.The business does not interfere or cause a nuisance to your neighbours.

9.That, if applicable, any work is undertaken by a qualified builder in accordance with good building practice and only new materials are used.

10.That you make no alterations or improvements to your property without the required Landlords Consent, under Section 97 of the Housing Act 1985.

11.That you comply with Fire Safety Regulations and acquire the necessary fire certificates, where applicable.

12.That you comply with any Highways Legislation in relation to off street parking/vehicular access, where necessary.

13.That you inform this office immediately should there be any changes in circumstances, which you originally outline in your application.

14.That if you are in receipt of Housing Benefit, you must report your change of circumstances immediately to the Housing Benefit Department.

15.That you register your business with the council’s National Non Domestic Rates department.

16.That should any of the above conditions be broken, the council may require you, if applicable to remove any structure and/or reinstate any alterations carried out to your home.

17.That should any of the above conditions be broken, the council will be in a position to withdraw the consent.

18.That when you have read and agreed with the above conditions, you sign and return the attached form of agreement, within the next 14 days, prior to works commencing.

Please note: You must submit all certificates/licences/insurance documents as outlined in the above conditions.

If I do not receive your signed form of agreement within the next 14 days I will assume you no longer intend to carry out this request and no further action will be taken regarding this request.

I have been in touch with the relevant departments, I also contacted VOA and they said as I am not using a room or building just for business I do not have to pay non domestic business rates on it. If you intend to use it for business only make sure it is legal or they can shut you down. If however you can prove that it is used for other purposes then you should not have to pay it.

Say for example you were using a bedroom for hair or beauty, but can show that you use it as a study too by having a desk and computer in there, you will not have to pay. If however it is used only for business you would have to pay. I know someone who used her spare room for beauty, and put her lap top on her manicure desk when they came around and they agreed it could be used as a study.

Thank you... It seems Essex is quite different from where you are... [emoji17]xxxx

Hi guys can I ask what's the difference between a summer house and a log cabin, is one more sturdy? And do I need to own the home/premises ? X

I don't really know the difference between the two but I know ppl who do it from rented property too,as long as landlord is ok with it xxxxzx

I asked and mine is fine but when I told my friend her first reaction was very dismissive (she pulled a 'are you for real' face) I know she never meant to but is this the reaction people will give?

I asked and mine is fine but when I told my friend her first reaction was very dismissive (she pulled a 'are you for real' face) I know she never meant to but is this the reaction people will give?
Possibly. But then those won't be your clients. Different people prefer different surroundings. Would I go to one? No. But then there are people who would.

Just remember neighbours can get fed up if cars take up parking/lots of coming and going etc. and if they complain to the council, they can cease you trading.

Possibly. But then those won't be your clients. Different people prefer different surroundings. Would I go to one? No. But then there are people who would.

Just remember neighbours can get fed up if cars take up parking/lots of coming and going etc. and if they complain to the council, they can cease you trading.

My goal is my own salon but I've been looking for the right premises for 18 months! There's a huge shortage around here and I want it to be the right one so I was thinking of other options it would be step 2 of 3 x

My goal is my own salon but I've been looking for the right premises for 18 months! There's a huge shortage around here and I want it to be the right one so I was thinking of other options it would be step 2 of 3 x
I understand. Plus rents are extortionate in Birmingham.
A summerhouse/log cabin setup etc will cost you at least few grand easy. Could be money better saved for a later date. If you want to be in a Salon a summer house or log cabin is more of a permanent alternative than a stepping stone in my opinion :)

Iv just come from owning a salon to buying a log cabin as it suits me better than the salon opening hours I can work around husband work and child in school times as life was too hectic the other way.... it's definitely not something you would do as a stepping stone it's cost me probably €6000 / €7000 that's without product or a good bit of furniture and equipment as I brought them from my salon, plus I didn't bother hooking up to water so this is more money you would have to account for....

It's fairly pricey but I didn't scrimp on anything x

I've got a garden room it's cost me 5 figure sums but it's amazing, place for life and my own gym xxxxx

Same just finished a project which has a kitchenette and toilet 6.5 meters by 4.5 in total. Just curious how people deal with insurance, do you add it to your home insurance or get commercial insurance?

Thanks

I'd get commercial insurance, I was quoted £55 annually by salon gold includes slips and trips xxxx

See the reason I was thinking stepping stone was soley due to trying for a baby next year.... And I have said around 4/ 6k (I have family in all trades so will get heavy discounts, we will do a lot ourselves too) it will be a struggle but doable... Just. But 12k+ for a salon I just cannot do right now or even forsee anytime soon x

Yes you must consider neighbours. I am lucky in that I have a drive way, so there would be no problem with parking. I make sure there is at least a half hour gap between clients and I only have one client at a time. So there would not be more than one car visiting my home at any one time.

I have been doing the same. I have had permission from my local council to work from home. I have been looking garden buildings. but not happy about paying business rates at the moment, so I will be starting out using part of my home until my home base clientele grows, to where I can give up mobile altogether.

I have been looking at portable cabins. There are some reasonably priced second hand ones out there if you shop around. You can get them with toilet and kitchen areas too. As they come ready assembled, a crane would need access to your garden or over your house.

Some years ago I worked part time to help friends start up their business and we worked from a portable cabin as an office. It had electric heaters and it was really comfortable during the winter.
Hi can I ask whether you had any problems regarding flammables ? I'm a council tenant and they are querying flammables when I have requested to erect a summerhouse and run my nail and beauty business from it x

Hi can I ask whether you had any problems regarding flammables ? I'm a council tenant and they are querying flammables when I have requested to erect a summerhouse and run my nail and beauty business from it x
As you're a council tenant I'm surprised they're even entertaining the idea of letting you. It's normally a flat no. Very unusual.

I was never asked that in particular but I was told I had to make sure that I adhered to all health and safety as posted above. I am no longer working from home I am now working from a Salon.

Latest posts

Back