Starting out questions, help!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Viva

Reaction score
I need some advice on starting a business from home. I'm newly qualified in Gel Manicures, looking to expand into acrylics and other beauty treatments in the future. Ideally want to start earning first.

I work fulltime now so am only available evenings weekends for now but would love to quit my job and work purely from home...eventually.

I have a room downstairs which is currently being decorated to suit. Have my certificates and kit all ready to go. I have a Facebook page set up but that's all.

Mortgage company are ok with it as nothing structurally changinging etc, no shop fronts being created, no neon signs outside shouting nail bar etc.

I have a few questions though on how to proceed, any help appreciated xx

Obviously I need public liability insurance for people coming to house, will this cover me doing the nails, or is that a separate insurance?

How much can I earn and at what point do I declare earnings?
How do I declare earnings?
What are business rates?

Any other tips/pointers or anything I haven't thought of would be much appreciated xx

Thankyou xx (sorry, turned into a long post )

Last edited:
You need permission from the council too :)

If it's your second income and presuming you use all your tax-free allowance at your main job, you pay 20% tax on all profits.
You will have to do a self-assessment every year and you will have to put on your turnover, profit etc. To do this you need to register as self-employed with HMRC.

Best speaking with an accountant to get you up and running.

My biggest tip is to make sure you have a large marketing budget.

Latest posts

Back