Starting out, which gel polish?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Taleofnails

Reaction score
Okay so i have not decided what gel polishes I will be buying yet, I actually got some of amazon ( this was just disappointing) ‍♀️

How many should I get to start with and what colours?!
They are expensive so I want to be sensible with my choice, any advice greatly appreciated ❤️

Ive gone with CND and this is my collection so far. Ive actually added a couple more pinks since taking this picture x
20190910_141537.jpeg

Okay so i have not decided what gel polishes I will be buying yet, I actually got some of amazon ( this was just disappointing) ‍♀️

How many should I get to start with and what colours?!
They are expensive so I want to be sensible with my choice, any advice greatly appreciated ❤️

With your training done, please don’t waste your time in buying non professional gel polishes. You and your clients deserve better than that, and with so many professional systems available, you have so much choice and little excuse.

Do your research, and do it well. Searching the Nail forum at the same time is also a good idea, so you can see for yourself the systems our nail professionals recommend and prefer.

I am also a new nail tech, it is a bit of a minefield! Watch The Nail Hub (Liz Morris) for a bit of helpful guidance; her video playlist called fundamentals is excellent. She mentions how certain colours are more difficult to cure if the ingredients aren't right, and so she usually buys certain colours from a brand to test them out before committing to them. If you have a good lamp that will cure all brands, this should be a good way to test them out. I remember her saying that some companies are more selective regarding their ingredients in terms of safety (and for the curing problems I mentioned), and explained why it's so important to do your research first. I'm currently trialling The Manicure Company, Akzentz and Artistic. I really like Akzentz out of the three, but it happens to be the most expensive, typical me with expensive taste! TMC is very good value though, and they offer a really good range of colours. I really like their builder a bottles and they have thought carefully about the aesthetics; the colour of the gel polish is in the lid, so it's easy to find them if you store them in a drawer, (cool dark place is always best.) They are 100% pure gel, as are Akzentz gels. Artistic Colour Gloss is not 100% pure gel, it's more like a hybrid and contains solvents like in polish. It's very runny and it makes it easier to flood the cuticle, so that's something to bear in mind, because HEMA and other chemicals must not touch skin, they can lead to sensitivities and allergies. I find the lighter shades have the best coverage, not so great with dark shades, but then I don't have their very expensive lamp so can't really complain. That's where lots of companies can catch you out; they want you to use their system - all of it. It means you have not argument when you call them to complain their gels won't cure! Also I got a bit annoyed when I discovered they are selling their old style bottles on Amazon. Lost respect from me! :(
Maybe go to Olympia next weekend (if you haven't already booked!) or another trade show? You can check out all the suppliers and ask lots of questions. Good luck x

loving this storage bag, where did you get it? :)
Take a look at Roo Beauty, its part of the Belita Bag. They do sell the cubes thats in the picture though separately x

I am also a new nail tech, it is a bit of a minefield! Watch The Nail Hub (Liz Morris) for a bit of helpful guidance; her video playlist called fundamentals is excellent. She mentions how certain colours are more difficult to cure if the ingredients aren't right, and so she usually buys certain colours from a brand to test them out before committing to them. If you have a good lamp that will cure all brands, this should be a good way to test them out. I remember her saying that some companies are more selective regarding their ingredients in terms of safety (and for the curing problems I mentioned), and explained why it's so important to do your research first. I'm currently trialling The Manicure Company, Akzentz and Artistic. I really like Akzentz out of the three, but it happens to be the most expensive, typical me with expensive taste! TMC is very good value though, and they offer a really good range of colours. I really like their builder a bottles and they have thought carefully about the aesthetics; the colour of the gel polish is in the lid, so it's easy to find them if you store them in a drawer, (cool dark place is always best.) They are 100% pure gel, as are Akzentz gels. Artistic Colour Gloss is not 100% pure gel, it's more like a hybrid and contains solvents like in polish. It's very runny and it makes it easier to flood the cuticle, so that's something to bear in mind, because HEMA and other chemicals must not touch skin, they can lead to sensitivities and allergies. I find the lighter shades have the best coverage, not so great with dark shades, but then I don't have their very expensive lamp so can't really complain. That's where lots of companies can catch you out; they want you to use their system - all of it. It means you have not argument when you call them to complain their gels won't cure! Also I got a bit annoyed when I discovered they are selling their old style bottles on Amazon. Lost respect from me! :(
Maybe go to Olympia next weekend (if you haven't already booked!) or another trade show? You can check out all the suppliers and ask lots of questions. Good luck x

Just to point out, unfortunately there is no such thing as a lamp that will cure all brands. Have a read of the pinned post at the top of this form about "UV Lamps explained, Why any old lamp just won't do"

Just to point out, unfortunately there is no such thing as a lamp that will cure all brands. Have a read of the pinned post at the top of this form about "UV Lamps explained, Why any old lamp just won't do"
Thanks, I'll take a look. I'm saving up for a lamp (kinda holding out for Black Friday and praying it'll go on sale) :)

Thanks, I'll take a look. I'm saving up for a lamp (kinda holding out for Black Friday and praying it'll go on sale) :)
Snap! I'm planning on upgrading my INK London lamp on Black Fruday, I bought my current one 2 years ago on Black Friday too!

How much cheaper was it? I was gonna wait to buy my Zephyros dust collector and my Saeyang K35 drill too, but got impatient! Love them both.

How much cheaper was it? I was gonna wait to buy my Zephyros dust collector and my Saeyang K35 drill too, but got impatient! Love them both.
I think INK usually offer 20% off if I remember rightly. Not too sure about other brands though.

Latest posts

Back