Starting out

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeautybyS

Reaction score
Hi Everyone - I'm looking for some advice. I'm 31 and am looking to start out in Beauty. I have no qualifications at all but would like some advice if possible.

I understand you can do an NVQ Level 2 but would like to start as soon as possible.

I was considering a CND 2 day course so that I could start offering nails and then build up by doing further massage, facial and waxing courses.

I work full time so would want to do this part time on an evening or weekend or changing my hours to work part time and do beauty part time. Ideally I would like to go full time in the future.

Thanks in advance for all of your help!!

It's going to be different in every college, I'm sure, but at my college, a full time beauty course is 18 hours a week split over 3 days. This worked out to one full day 9-8, one evening 5-8 and one just day 9-4 (taking into account breaks etc). If you could find one like this you can still work around it which is what I did :) wouldn't have done it if i couldn't have worked too! Best of luck, it is a fab industry to be in!

Hi

As an educator I would say a 2 day nail course wouldn't give you enough to actually start working on clients. That's my personal opinion though iv seen students who have done short train like that and they were very unsure and had no confidence.

As for the beauty decide where you want to go with it and do as much research as possible look at international qualifications like ITEC and CIDESCO.

Good luck it's a fantastic industry

The CND beginners course is perfect and designed specifically for someone with no previous experience and would be a good start.

For beauty some colleges offer evening courses, still over a year, to get your nvq2.

The CND beginners course is perfect and designed specifically for someone with no previous experience and would be a good start.

For beauty some colleges offer evening courses, still over a year, to get your nvq2.

Thanks pure. I guess I was thinking about doing the CND course to get started quickly as a year seems like such a long time.

Are there any other routes you know of to get into the industry that wouldn't take a year. I've been thinking about it for ages. It's just difficult and scary because I'm already working.

I did the 2 day Shellac beginner course with CND in February and am setting up now doing shellac around my full time job. I have been practicing and so happy to move onto clients. Hoping to then progress this and do more courses with CND.

I did the 2 day Shellac beginner course with CND in February and am setting up now doing shellac around my full time job. I have been practicing and so happy to move onto clients. Hoping to then progress this and do more courses with CND.

That sounds great. Are you planning on adding any other treatments i.e massage, waxing? Or are you focusing on nails?

No not at the moment. I'm not really bothered about the beauty side. I don't really intend to make it a full time venture.

Sweet Squared also offer training in waxing and tanning. For massage you can do an independant course with somewhere like Gateway.

Sweet Squared also offer training in waxing and tanning. For massage you can do an independant course with somewhere like Gateway.
Thanks. That's a great help. I didn't realise S2 did those courses. This is a great option for me as I really would like to get started ASAP. [emoji4]

I've just started a few course with Essential Nails! Accredited by The Beauty Guild and to NVQ standards/Curriculum! Work from home and send work off to be assessed. Plus DVD and student support so can re-run the courses as many times as you like! Or read the books. Have a look. Good luck with whatever you choose to do :)

I've just completed the shellac and L&P course with CND and will be taking the additives class next week. Once I've got to grips with L&P I am hoping to do the gel conversion and go all out mobile nail tech :)
Their courses are fab - really easy to get your head around, accurate, informative and my educator Anna is amazing and is always on hand when I have questions.... couldn't recommend them highly enough so glad I chose to go with them! xx

Latest posts

Back