Starting out

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
Hi all,
After some advice and tips, I did my nail training a fews ago and didn't really do much with it other than friends and family. Ive recently started practicing again and loving it more and want to start up self employed (part time) I am thinking of doing mobile and can also have clients come to me if they like (at some point I would love a home salon cabin/summer house) but how do you start out? I know I need to get insurance I've looking into some quotes and will also declare myself as self employed. How people manage there business accounts, advertise ect any advice would be great. I am returning back to my normal job in September after maternity leave that will be part time so want to run nails along the side and when I get a good client base I would be happy to leave my regular job.
Sorry for the long post, any help would be great x

I’m in the same boat as you I’m registered with the guild and have a room in my house I do all my treatments from I have a Facebook page set up with my treatments I currently offer I also have an Instagram account I’m in the process of setting up a website I do my books myself I don’t have an accountant I have cards and a price list I used vistaprint for these there the cheapest on the market I found but a fab product and quality

Hey
I've got a quote with salon gold and I've heard good things about them so think I'll go with them altho haven't looked properly at the guild. Sounds good :) how do you go about documenting all your expenses, do you just write them down and keep invoices? Or do a spreadsheet? I find it all about confusing but it doesn't take much looking for the easiest way to keep track on f everything x

Also the best way to work out how much products your using per client and how to work out how much you pay yourself, and putting aside money for national insurance and taxes sorry I'm very new to it x

It’s cool I use quickbooks so I don’t really have to do anything I snap a pic of my receipt and it works everything out for me. There’s multiple apps you can use for doing your books and for client booking too good luck with everything I recommend doing a lot of research on products first too I’d use salon services you also get a trade card with them so it’s discounted prices although you’ll need to show them your certificate first

Latest posts

Back