Starting Out

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marcpunter

Reaction score
hey everyone my name is Marc and im just starting out in the Beauty industry. im going to college with creative in september (recommended by Dawnie) to start my Foundation silver plus course every thursday evening for 8 weeks. i then hope to complete the Next Step course and go mobile in my spare hours after that.

once i have got a good client base i intend to cut down my hours atwork and go mobile more days a week. i will keep doing this until i have such a strong client base, i will need to get a salon.

im living with my other half "Sean" at his dads house but we are saving tobuy a house in about 3 years time. until then theres a possibilty that the garage will be converted into a salon for me when i quit my current job....i will need all the advice and practice i can get so anything you can chuck at me will be great even if im doing something wrong you need to tell me because i want to be as successful as some of the big nail techy's in the country. this is my dream career and want to become successful in every aspect of beauty.

thanks to Dawnie for recommending creative and giving me some information and help to get started. im just like dawinie. we are both deaf and dawnie had proved that anyone with a disability is able to go very far in life! and just by reading dawnies story in the Nail magazine i had to get in contact with her to find out more. and ever since we still talk on Msn Messenger..Dawnie's story has given me a positive outlook on life and had made me beleive that i can do anything i want to do if i try hard. look forward to some advice and information and any replies from all you guys...

love lots marc xxxxxx

my msn messenger email is [email protected]

Hi Marc, welcome to this site and the world of nails.

You can't go far wrong if you are training with Creative. I hadn't heard of them when I started but if I was starting again I would definately use them.

I can't comment on converting the garage as I'm mobile, however, the only things to bear in mind when mobile is travelling and setting up at each clients house takes time and time is money. Take this into account when you're doing your price list.

Good Luck with your foundation course and enjoy.

Welcome the the site Marc, you will certainly find it very helpful, informative and excellent when you need help with anything or any problems you may come up against.

This site is my bible, and i too have made some very good friends through it. I am mobile and trained with Star Nails and now use EZ Flow products. A little advice i would give is make sure you have a portable table of some kind to take with you when mobile. You cant gaurentee having a suitable table to work at and i learned the hard way that if you haven't got a comfortable height to work with, backache and headaches end up being suffered.

I got mine from Ikea, a simple narrow table with unscrewable legs. Great height with enough room for products and only £29.99, bargain. I also got a couple of fold away chairs that were only £7 each also from Ikea, that were just the right height for the table.

Good luck in your client building, it will take time to do this, but it means you will give yourself time for practise to get better while building your client base.

Good luck Marco, and welcome to the wonderful world of nails.
icon_cheesygrin.gif

Hello Marc and welcome!:)
I've been coming here only a short while, but everyone is lovely and you will learn a lot from these guys. I did a short course starting me in UV Gel & Fibreglass nails a few weeks ago, and tomorrow I'm doing a day with an NSI tutor. I wish I'd come here before doing my training, as I'd definitely have done the Creative training, but I think the tutor I had was good, and I've heard lots of good things about NSI too, so that's why my credit card is taking a bashing for tomorrow! I'm gonna do a Creative conversion course when I can.

I'd advise you to get in touch with your local council. I got a package through yesterday from my council, with details of grants available to new businesses. I may be entitled to up to £1500 in help (don't think I'll get all that, but anything is a bonus, right?) to start up in my area. You have to apply BEFORE you start trading, so call them asap! I'm gonna be mobile too (was planning to have started advertising before now but when I heard about the grant I put it on hold!) but, hey, the garage idea is fantastic! I've been headaching about how to fit it into my house, when I've a garage outside just housing junk and spiders! May have to talk to hubby about converting it!

What other beauty treatments are you planning on offering? I finished a full-time college course in July, on Make-Up artistry. I'm offering make-up, eyelash, eybrow tinting & brow shaping, probably eyelash perming as well as the nails. I thought about doing feet, but I just don't think I can do it! My hubby's got should we say, unpretty feet (Sorry Andy!) and if I can't do his feet, how can I do other's? Jury's still out on this one!

Have fun with the nails!

hi marc and welcome to the site, you will love it here and you can get advice on just about anything , we all try and help each other,are you doing just nails or beauty aswell , as some of us on here do both , this site is very addictive but you will love it , hope you do well in your new proffession and get lots of clients love dee

Welcome Mark,
This is the best site ever, this is where I met Dawnie and we have been close friends ever since..................
Dawnie is an insperation and if you show just a little of the guts and determination she has shown , you will be a rocking success...........!!!!!!
The garage idea is great, but check with your local council for rules and regulations.
Here is to hearing lots from you on your successful path of being a brill Nail Technician.
You have a good start Creative will help and guide you and you will never regret the training choice .
have a fab Sunday

aw thanks everyone for your replies, i didnt expect any so quickly!.. ive already found out a bit that i hadnt even given a second thought...im deffinately going to go to somewhere like ikea and get my self a mobile table and a couple of chairs. i will also look into grants as well to start my business up.

im planning on focusing on nails more than anything else for at least a few years then once i have the experience i will offer my clients other beauty treatment.. im looking way ahead in the future and you may think im thinking too far ahead but i plan to do Waxing, Massage, reflexology, sunbeds, hairdressing, non surgical face treatments, laser treatment in the far future i want to be able to have all this employ my own staff and have a booming business but im happy to focus on nails for many years before i even think about doing anything else..

thanks again for all replies..

love lots marc xx

marcpunter said:
aw thanks everyone for your replies, i didnt expect any so quickly!.. ive already found out a bit that i hadnt even given a second thought...im deffinately going to go to somewhere like ikea and get my self a mobile table and a couple of chairs. i will also look into grants as well to start my business up.

im planning on focusing on nails more than anything else for at least a few years then once i have the experience i will offer my clients other beauty treatment.. im looking way ahead in the future and you may think im thinking too far ahead but i plan to do Waxing, Massage, reflexology, sunbeds, hairdressing, non surgical face treatments, laser treatment in the far future i want to be able to have all this employ my own staff and have a booming business but im happy to focus on nails for many years before i even think about doing anything else..

thanks again for all replies..

love lots marc xx

Here is one of lifes 'trueisms' babe.

If you are a kick ass nail technician, you will NEVER have time to do other treatments!! You will be so popular, there will not be time in the day (Or night) to do anything else!! :)

similary, Great Therapists never have time to devote to doing nails.

OPen your salon, and hire in the experts in other fields!!

Hi Marc, there's nothing wrong in having plans for the future, no matter how far ahead you plan. Its great to have goals, and i think you have the right head on your shoulders to concentrate on one thing fully first. No point in cramming too much info in or you will just stress yourself out.

Good luck with it all, and hope to hear your views on everything on this site in the future.

Hey babe

About time you posted lol...............glad to hear all is going ok and remember I am only a pc away if you need me but please not my ears coz they dont go lol.
You will get heaps of help from this site Marc as I have already told you the girls are fab and allways willing to help.

One thing I will stress to you babe is tell the tutor from the start about your hearing or lack of I should say and if you miss anything ask her/him to go over that bit agagin also ask if you can have print outs to recap at home, I know how hard it is I have been there remember lol.

So heres to you babe and your determination GO OUT THERE AND GET UM lol

Chat laters

Love Dawnie xxxxxxxxxxxxx Licks from Mullie

Hi Marc

I'm also in MK and Creative trained! You will have a wicked time on the foundation course Anne and Kelly are great!

If you ever fancy a meet and nail chat or want any help (i'm not an expert but will help if i can) give me a pm.

Oh and i love being a model if you want a life one to practice on, but hey fair is fair i may have to do yours also!

Take care

Taz
x

good luck with your course marc, i wish i did creative. i admire your courage and strength to do this you are most definatley a star (by the way i am the most horrific speller in the world, so just hummer me hun!)

anyway, good luck, and make sure you keep everyone posted with updates on your progress, and we all love to see piccies!!! It's great when someone puts a post on here letting everyone see how well they are doing!
:biggrin:

Hi Marc, welcome to the site.
Just getting back to the table thing. to keep set up costs low initially,when mobile could you not get your client to get the ironing board out? Nearly every household has one, and its adjustable!!
Good luck with your course!!!!

Debz xx

Latest posts

Back