Starting over, help!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Harlequin

Reaction score
Hello all

I qualified with an HND in beauty therapy in 2011 and did acrylic and lash courses as well.

I did work in a salon but work dried up and I gave up. Forward 8 years, 2 kids -one child with Autism that's required me to be home with him all the time. I think I'm in a position now to try again starting mobile but I've come online and so much has changed!

I'm wanting to re-train in Shellac and also do the CND L&P course but I see that the lamps have changed so does that mean the polish has changed too?

What are the most recommended brands these days for lashes and skincare? 8 years ago I was looking ago at Eve Taylor and it was a mixed response on lashes...should I retrain in those or keep practising with what I know?

I want to do this properly but would appreciate some advice.

Thanks in advance
Caroline

Hi

I’m in the same position as you with starting up again although it has not been as long for me. So I originally started 8 years ago and in that time I trained with Gelish and CND Shellac. The lamps for Shellac did change from UV to LED but it just meant a quicker cure. There is now another product called Luxe which is a different Shellac product but I would imagine that would be covered on your course. I am not trained in L&P so not sure about that I’m afraid.

With regards to skincare, I asked on here the other day and Eve Taylor was still recommended so I am looking into that.

As for lashes, I have always used the brand I trained with (Lady Lash) but I have tried others. It’s just my preferred choice. I think you just have to try different ones until you find what you like.

I would just keep practicing but if you are not 100% confident then do a refresher course. You probably haven’t forgotten in that time, maybe just a bit slower and practice will sort that. Good luck whatever you decide to do. I hope I have helped a little [emoji4]

Thank you for replying!

The courses are quite expensive and were on a tight budget but I'm hoping to at least do the CND training. Eve Taylor's kit price has shot up since I last checked hahaha. But I have heard lots of good stuff about them so that's something I'm going to look into after I do nail training/conversion.

Confidence is a LOT to do with it all isn't it? I never threw myself into it before because I was afraid I would fail. But i'm getting to a point where failing isn't the worst part, not even trying is!

Thank you for your reply!

Thank you for replying!

The courses are quite expensive and were on a tight budget but I'm hoping to at least do the CND training. Eve Taylor's kit price has shot up since I last checked hahaha. But I have heard lots of good stuff about them so that's something I'm going to look into after I do nail training/conversion.

Confidence is a LOT to do with it all isn't it? I never threw myself into it before because I was afraid I would fail. But i'm getting to a point where failing isn't the worst part, not even trying is!

Thank you for your reply!

Confidence really is! But you are so right... not trying is worse than failing and if you don’t you will always wonder what if.

Just do one thing at a time and practice, practice, practice and the confidence will come. I wish you the best luck x

You may want to check out Swiss Dermyl skincare from Calla Distribution. It's 100% salon exclusive and has no minimum order.

Shellac hasn't changed, and nor has the application techniques so as long as you're confident there, you shouldn't have any problems. Maybe a 121 if you're not so confident?

I guess you mean last extensions, rather than a last lift?

Hi Caroline,

I also did a HND in Beauty Therapy, graduated 2013 but I've been in the industry for 18 years now and lots has changed, yes.

If you want to do things properly and really make a go of it the best place to start is with excellent training courses that will give you confidence in yourself and the products you use - enabling you to charge higher prices for the services you provide which means you can earn a decent living without running yourself into the ground doing fast, cheap treatments with potential problems arising from product breakdown. You do not need that stress and worry, you want to enjoy every moment of your exciting return to the beauty industry and have some fun along the way.

I've used a lot of different brands over the years working in other salons but when I started my business 2 years ago I chose CND products because they are THE BEST. CND are world leaders in nail products and I'm yet to use anything that rivals them. If you've done an L&P course previously you should be able to do the CND Conversion course, and if you've got a manicure qualification I'm pretty sure you can do the CND Shellac Conversion course. Excellent training will give you a rush of excitement for your new business, the trainers are amazing and so helpful. Plus other people doing the training on the course are always so lovely and usually all different levels of experience in the industry get talking to them for some tips. Call Sweet Squared for info on CND courses the staff are very helpful.

Sweet Squared are good suppliers. They don't just sell CND products but lots of other brands too. They've recently added LASHUS to their line. Would you be better off doing lash lifts instead of lash extensions as it's a much much quicker treatment with excellent results, little maintenance for clients and really good profit margins for you. Lash extensions can be very time consuming to learn and to pick up speed, so if you have plenty of time on your hands to practice then great go for it - if not though choose to provide treatments that you're going to pick up quickly to earn the money you need then maybe later on down the line when your business is a little more established you can see how much free time you have to dedicate to courses that'll take you a bit longer to refine. Although, if you are going to train in lash extensions then Nouveau and Lash Perfect are good places to start.

What type of facials do you plan on offering? Is it more for relaxation or results driven? Or do you just want the products to retail for extra income? Dermalogica is my all-time favourite because the results are brilliant but they don't supply to mobile or home based salons unfortunately. Eve Taylor I wasn't that impressed by I'm afraid but maybe that's because I've used Dermalogica since 2007 and nothing else I've used so far has produced similar results, I've tried a lot of other brands over the years.

Another tip that may help with your confidence is having a good insurance company, they are usually very helpful with and full of advice for what you can and can't do etc and I find it helps with setting out your rules to follow for clients and treatments, it's good to know you have back up when working alone, you have to build up your support network. A lot of insurance companies give free subscriptions to trade magazine like Scratch which is a great source of information and inspiration. Also membership to Babtac will be very useful too.

Hope that helps a bit x

Latest posts

Back