Starting up again! Help please

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Suze-NZ

Reaction score
Hey girls,

About 5 years ago I worked in a nail kiosk, then started doing nails from home, but since then I have focused on my career in banking so I haven't done any nail work for about 4 years now.

I have decided to start back up again, it's something I enjoy and it would be nice to earn a bit of extra cash too! Also I still get people asking me if I still do them and if I start again to let them know, so hopefully I'll have people to work on.

I know the industry has changed a lot in the last few years, with Shallac becoming more and more popular, so what I need to know before I start up is...

* Is Acrylic a dying art? I am Young Nails trained so was hoping to start off with just a start up kit and the bare essentials and build from there.

* Is it best to offer Shallac as well? If so, do you need to be trained in Shallac to use it?

* I get a bit of eczema on my fingers, so I would probably wear latex gloves while working on clients, just so they don't feel grossed out. Does anyone else wear gloves and do you find it hinders your work?

* If there is anyone reading from NZ, what charges do you think are reasonable for a newbie to charge? (I will consider myself a newbie again until I have my confidence back.) I was thinking $30 for a standard set to start off with? I'm not bad or anything, the very first set I ever did was much better than some sets I've seen come out of professional salons, but I want to keep it cheap as most of the people I know are lower income.

* This is a list I have come up with of things I will need before I start:

Acrylic Kit (which includes: Nail Liquid, Forms, Pink, Clear, White Natural and XXX White powder, Protein Bond, Rose Cuticle Oil, Y-UV, files, Glass Dampen Dish, Brush, Eye Dropper, Swipe, Glue, Natural, Clear and White tips, YNI Artistic Sculptor Brush).
Folding table and 2 folding chairs.
x5 Hand towels and x5 flannels.
Mini fan (to try and minimise fumes).
Latex gloves, paper towels, nail pads, tin foil.
Acetone.
Tip cutters, cuticle knife, cuticle nippers.
Diamantes

Am I missing anything?? Is there anything else that you use that you wouldn't be without??

Any responses or tips/advise is REALLY appreciated!! :hug:

Welcome back!
I would say you have your supplies covered except what kind a polish are you going to use? Are you just doing l&p or are you going to offer manicures/pedicures also. What about nail art? I would recommend that you also offer Shellac or another gel polish as they are very popular as well as great money makers. I would recommend that you take a course about application, removal etc for which ever long wearing polish you choose. As for price, charge what your time is worth!

Welcome back!
I would say you have your supplies covered except what kind a polish are you going to use? Are you just doing l&p or are you going to offer manicures/pedicures also. What about nail art? I would recommend that you also offer Shellac or another gel polish as they are very popular as well as great money makers. I would recommend that you take a course about application, removal etc for which ever long wearing polish you choose. As for price, charge what your time is worth!

Hi thanks for your advise :)
I think I will just start by offering L&P and build up from there. Just starting with L&P is going to cost about $800, I'd hate to spend all that money and it go wrong, so I'll replace my $800 and use the rest of the profits to expand. I will be getting quite a few prostitute clients and they tend to like really long stand out nails so art stuff will be the next lot of purchases.

Another thing I was wondering, does powder go off? I've still got my old nail stuff, but it won't cure, but it could just be the monomer? Or should I just throw it all out?

Wow this place has gone really quiet, or am I just being snobbed?

I used to come on here all the time when I was a working tech and everyone was so friendly back then.

Latest posts

Back