Starting up, mobile advice please

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fluffydreams

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I haven't posted here in a long time as I closed my beauty business in 2014 to move to London! Three years on and I miss the beauty world, I miss my passion and I miss the flexibility and rewards from being self employed.

I am planning on dropping my current job to 3/4 days per week, and working 1 or 2 days as a mobile therapist initally.
I am fully trained at NVQ Level 2 and 3, I also hold an NVQ Level 3 Nail Technician qualification. I am also trained with St Tropez Tanning, Jessica, CND, Dermalogica, Elemis to name a few.

My problem is, I am out of the loop. I need some practice before I start going back into treating clients. Where do I start? I also wanted to ask what treatments you find work as a mobile therapist.

I am planning on offering massage, facials and gel manicures initially. Then following up with spray tanning when I can get some funds together for my kit. I used to offer pedicures but found it a little tricky as to what to use to soak a clients feet and make them comfortable. Any suggestions on that?

I don't plan on offering body waxing but I will be offering facial waxing and threading - I'm looking for a chair I could use for this that I could also use as a manicure chair if possible. Also a table appropriate for manicures as a mobile therapist.

Many Thanks for your suggestions in advance.

Laura

I'm not mobile but when I went self-employed working from home studio, I had a trial day to see if my treatments, products, room layout, timings etc. all worked how I wanted them to. Friends and family booked appointments and I gave them a healthy discount for helping me out. This was great practise whilst also getting paid! Alternatively you could just do some treatments on friends and family for free in-between your current job?

If you're doing facial waxing, then tinting / brows is always a good add on, so I would definitely consider that.
Personally I love having a spray tan in my home rather than going to a salon so I would look in to getting the kit. You should make the most out of the qualifications that you have.

Maybe take a look at other therapists / salons facebook pages and websites to see what's going on in the industry and what they are offering. I love looking at other peoples work for inspiration.

I'm not mobile but when I went self-employed working from home studio, I had a trial day to see if my treatments, products, room layout, timings etc. all worked how I wanted them to. Friends and family booked appointments and I gave them a healthy discount for helping me out. This was great practise whilst also getting paid! Alternatively you could just do some treatments on friends and family for free in-between your current job?

If you're doing facial waxing, then tinting / brows is always a good add on, so I would definitely consider that.
Personally I love having a spray tan in my home rather than going to a salon so I would look in to getting the kit. You should make the most out of the qualifications that you have.

Maybe take a look at other therapists / salons facebook pages and websites to see what's going on in the industry and what they are offering. I love looking at other peoples work for inspiration.

Thanks so much Jemma. I'll try that x

Latest posts

Back