Starting up mobile hairdressing? help!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi tony

I was in your position but qualified to level 3 I did 1 year on the salon floor and am now venturing out to be mobile, what they say about salon experience is correct Ill put it to you like this in a nice way, What will you do if you go to someones house and their hair is a level 5 natural but a level 4 through mid lengths and ends due to home colouring build up, your client wants honey base level 8 and platinum hi lites how are you gonna get the best result can u get a good result. your confident thats great but remember even the best stylists are always learning, the struggle i found is if u cant answer that question and your standing in your clients kitchen who will you turn to for help be very carefull to be fully prepared for every client, do free consultations first always with colour if u dont know the client so that you can do any research u need to to get the best result, surround your self with friends in the business who are more experienced than you and do as many training courses as possible specifically in the range you want to work with.
Hope this helps hun and remember all advice is useful dont be offended so easily take it in your stride research listen and improve constantly. xxx:hug:

thanks for everyones help

i would love to get into a salon to get experience but i just find it impossible :( i have went into literally every salon within 20 miles of my home town and handed in my cv explaining the position/level of hairdresing im at, and have only ever been called back for 2 interviews then never heard back? im 22 years old and well presented so i cant understand why i cant get a job? what do salon owners/managers want from a newly qualified?

I struggled the same as you did once qualified, to get my foot in the door in a salon, therefore went straight in to mobile too :)
Salons prefer to take on apprentice's / school leavers as they are cheaper to employ! ..
Go for it and make a go of mobile hairdressing like i did :) .. you will need to do lots and lots and lots of flyering as well as advertising on every website that you can and i advise that you get a website together.
Be confident when you go to your clients, never show that you have doubts over anything and if you come face to face with something you feel you may struggle with, suggest alternatives to your client and advise that they think about their drastic choice of hair cut or colour before taking the plunge 'this time'!
Be prepared for business to start slow - but it will pick up and word of mouth will be your main source of new business :)
Good Luck x

I too am in the exact same position, I am a still doing my level 3 at college and have been around all the salons in my area lookign for a job/apprenticeship but everyone says they are not taking on its so frustrating, but now I have decided to do voluntry one or 2 days a week to gain more experience as I want to go mobile but definately have not got the experience, I do do alot of friends hair and family which is giving me confidence as they are all asking me to keep doing there hair, Good Luck x

Hi am in the same position myself although did work in a salon but didn't learn anything from anyone other than being treated like I knew absolutley nothing,has done nothing for my confidence only felt belittled,I do a lot of family and friends hair and have been since I needed them for models at college and gradually growing my clients,doing level 3 at college and hoping this is going to fill some of the gap.I am a mature hairdresser in my forties and I have invested such a lot of time,energy and money and I have to make this work.Some people are really good and give constructive feedback in a way that makes you listen and respect them,others are to quick to be negative about what you are trying to achieve and sometimes forget that they were there once(only somebody else gave them a break) I think as long as you have people in the industry,this site and can continue with upskilling yourself you will be fine and will get there in the end.Everyone does have to start somewhere and as long as you don't profess to be or do something you can't then your clients will respect you.:)

thanks for everyones help

i would love to get into a salon to get experience but i just find it impossible :( i have went into literally every salon within 20 miles of my home town and handed in my cv explaining the position/level of hairdresing im at, and have only ever been called back for 2 interviews then never heard back? im 22 years old and well presented so i cant understand why i cant get a job? what do salon owners/managers want from a newly qualified?

Hi there.

If you feel confident ect, just get some business cards made up and hand them to friends and people you know. Give these people extra cards so they can give them to people they know as well. If you do just a few peoples hair and they like it, they will spread the word. This won't happen over night, but you have to start somewhere.

If you feel you need more practice in certain areas, practice on head blocks and friends for free. It is all great experience and will boost your motivation.

I have done this myself and is hoping to gain clients over the next year or so.
What have you got to loose.

But as already mentioned, try to get a voluntary job in a salon, even for only one day a week. I managed to get myself voluntary work in a barber shop for one day a week and it has really helped me, just by watching.

Good luck, you will be ok in the end. Don't give up. x

:)

I really feel for you hun, it is hard getting into a salon when you are that bit older. I was told i would never work in a city centre salon because i was too old (22years, that's not old at all). I just laughed it off. I ended up working in 2 city centre salons, one of which i managed!
When i started Hairdressing i went from £18,000 a year jon in Retail Supply Chain to 500 per month as a trainee. It was quite a shock. You have to be prepared to do anything. I said i would work for free 2 days a week. In the end i was given a wage because i worked so hard. While I was hairdressing I had 2 other jobs to keep me afloat. Salon experience is essential hun. It really does put you on the right tracks.

To get into the salons barrage them with letters. Just because they said 'No' once doesn't mean that they will say it again. They will have lots people applying as trainees, make sure you stand out. Its about image too, which i know sounds bad but it is. Make sure your looking your best when you go, the hair has to be amazing, clean nails, fresh breath and sell yourself that's what i looked for when i was interviewing. look at the people in the salons see how they dress.

The best thing is if you support yourself with another job,( i worked in a bar), people soon get to know your a hairdresser and they will want you to do it.

I hope this helps x x

I think if u done ur training in a good college then u will be fine xx if u go into a salon u will only be sweeping the floors and making the teas anyway x you have done 2 years training so u have all the knowlege u just have to gain confidence good luck and go for it xx

Latest posts

Back