Starting up mobile hairdressing? help!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

toni.d

Reaction score
i have just gained my level 2 in hairdressing, and cannot seem to get into the hairdressing industry, so i have decided to go freelance

but i need help on how to get started-

do i need insurance?
do i need to inform councils/tax man?
is there any other legal stuff i need?

would apperciate any advice :D

thanks

You need some salon expereience i would say first!!!! Do some voluntary work if you cant get a paid position!
You cant expect a stylist wage beacause a college has signed you off for nvq2 unless it was done in conjunction with a salon. To be frank colleges pass the majority of students regardless due to funding implications.
It will be a struggle to be freelance as you wont be up to speed and have a very low ability in contrast to your competition!!!:confused:

I know it's not what you asked specifically but you did say any advice is appreciated!!

Emm ... I asked for advice not to be ridiculed!

The college i went to must be very different to the colleges you know, i feel very confident in all aspects of hairdressing and feel quite capable of mobile hairdressing

Its because of people with an attitude like you, that i cant get into the hairdressing industry as they say i need "experience" but how can i get experience without a job and how can i get a job without experience?

And as for compitition, the area i am from, there is no mobile hairdressers, that i have heard of.

I was talking from personal experience ! I was not ridiculing you but trying to help! The only way i could get a foot in the door was to volunteer! It was the best thing i ever did.
There was abosolutely no need to be so rude and offensive as i was trying to help you you so i wish you all the luck in the world as i feel you may need it !

i have just gained my level 2 in hairdressing, and cannot seem to get into the hairdressing industry, so i have decided to go freelance

do i need insurance?

thanks

Getting your first job is one of the major hurdles into the industry. If you want the experience of a salon (and the knowledge you will get to go with this) then knock on every door you can and ask, ask, ask.

If that fails, and you want to go mobile:

Insurance is a definite requirement. If something goes wrong, even as simple as you damage a carpet, let alone someone's hair, you need back up.
You need to let HMRC know that you are self-employed.
You need to ask your local council if there are any guidelines they want you to follow, with specific reference to health and hygiene.
You need to talk to somebody about how to do your books.
If you are going to use your car, you need to make sure you have car insurance to do this.

Hi I think good on you. It takes passion to be a real hairdresser, and it sounds like thats what you have. Dont give up on what you want.

Ignore some of the negative comments, constructive critism is great but to be absolutely rude about it, is nasty. I've already had some of it so your not alone.

I've just started Mobile hair extensions and just advertised for models and charged cost price, local shops a good one. Well it worked for me, i've had a few models and got a few more next week. Had loads of great feedback already. Make sure you get insurance first just to cover your back.

I wish you all the best xxx

Luclasticx - i wasnt the one being rude or offensive i was just stating facts, whereas you steriotyped me as someone who just mucked about for 2 years at college and still passed my svq2 just because the college needed numbers for a good pass rate. And you also assumed my hairdressing skills were low, which i found unfair and offensive.

SJK and MaineAttraction - thanks for your helpful advise and support, very appreciated :D x

Luclasticx - i wasnt the one being rude or offensive i was just stating facts, whereas you steriotyped me as someone who just mucked about for 2 years at college and still passed my svq2 just because the college needed numbers for a good pass rate. And you also assumed my hairdressing skills were low, which i found unfair and offensive.

SJK and MaineAttraction - thanks for your helpful advise and support, very appreciated :D x

I know it wasnt what you wanted to hear, but it gave sound advice.

I trade test lots of college leavers for jobs, the vast majority do not work at salon standard. Occaisionally we uncover a star, but they still need to work alongside experienced stylists for a couple of years to polish their skills.

You would gain a vast amount from experienced hairdressers, so I urge you to try and find work experience, you can still do your mobile work alongside.

Lucelastix is right, some colleges have dreadful standards, thats why work experience is so very important for you right now.
Good luck.

do i need insurance?

thanks

Hi toni.d,
I too would strongly recommened getting some in salon experience before going freelance. Even if you do a few days a week un-paid?
I started in september and have come across some quite technical re-do's from other stylists bodge jobs, I think back to when I was newly qualified, and I don't think I would of been able to handle the work, I was a very confident apprentice too...
Again you only learn to do so with experience.

I don't think any of the stylists on the site are ever rude, they are only giving there honest opinion, and are very very knowledgeable, try not to take offense, they know what they are talking about!.. the site is very very helpful!

good luck! xox

Hi toni.d.

No matter how confident you feel you are, salon experience is invaluable. Going mobile straight away can get you into some bad habits and often stuck in a rut. There is nothing like having a good chair and mirror to help your cutting skills and I think most hairdressers will vouch for that! :)

I have had some excellent, newly qualified staff, that have still needed guidance. I have had experienced staff that have needed guidance. No-one knows it all.

It's better to have honest views than to be mis-guided advice.

hi there i am a mobile hairdresser.i am doing very well at it.as there is a call for mobile hairdressers in my area i have been a hairdresser for 8 years now and was forced to mobile hairdressing after the birth of my son and being in a small village not much jobs around.i do love my job mobile but i can be very lonely on the professional side such as if your a bit stuck with a client another hairdresser at hand to help you out is a bonus.also when i came out of college i would say i was no way near as good hairdresser as i am now i learnt a lot from other members of staff and also learnt how to look after my clients.you defo need insurance and inform tax man and also get a good accountant mine has helped me out a lot.go on lots of courses stay up to date as this business trends change quick! wish you lots of luck but do think about it because mobile is hard work :lol:

im afraid i agree with the other geeks on here experiance in a salon is key iv been qualified 14yrs and 4 of them mobile theres no way i could of done mobile if i didnt have salon experiance its not just learning how to cut its also learning how to look after you clients! and how to deal with a bad situation, try volantary work as salon owners will know you are keen to learn if you are willing to be there unpaid, good luck

Anyone who has completed a hairdressing course at college will benefit from Real Salon floor experience ...FACT regardless of the college or student!
You never stop learning in hairdressing so why do you find it so offensive to be told to keep going and not give up?
If you ask for peoples advice you may not like some of the replys but i was only being honest and i stand by what i have said.

My experiences differ as i have always and only ever been a self employed , freelance, mobile hairdresser. I loved college pushed myself and my tutors brains to the limit , worked incredibly hard and hit the ground running and never looked back. I strive for excellence in all aspects of my work and continue to develop and enhance my skills at every oportunity. I have waiting lists and on occasions have to turn work down or pass to two other experienced hairdressers i trust.
I can be known to work 12 hour days and 6 days (on occasion a tough 7 day week). I have had work praised by many a salon proffesional.
My background training and life skills have helped. 3 Years in the Art and Design world , a HND in Textile design . MA credits is interpersonal skills , team buliding and Entrepreneurship and Small business. I have Blue Chip company managerial experience , training and Marketing which has all been a huge help in being able to be successful in the Freelance world without salon support. I entered into the world of Hairdressing as a mature student at the age of 31 which also helped and life skills are already well developed.
It can be done but you need self motivation , drive and dedication and when it works its the best job in the world.
If you have little competition thats a great start and if you do a fantatic all round job word of mouth will soon spread , best of luck x

thanks for everyones help

i would love to get into a salon to get experience but i just find it impossible :( i have went into literally every salon within 20 miles of my home town and handed in my cv explaining the position/level of hairdresing im at, and have only ever been called back for 2 interviews then never heard back? im 22 years old and well presented so i cant understand why i cant get a job? what do salon owners/managers want from a newly qualified?

Hi
I think that when you come onto a forum like this and start asking questions about the industry you work in you have to listen and take advice from the forum members who have been in this industry a long time and have loads of experience. I was lurking around on here for a while before posting and view all the threads on hair section as I like to know whats going on and to be honest I have picked up loads of tips.

Its great to have the knowledge but its good to have the experience aswell. Pick up all the good tips that the forum members on here give its worth its weight in gold to your business.

toni.d.... due to the recession there are few jobs about.
Salons prefer stylists that have a client base.
mayb put a cover letter with your CV and explain that you would love some work experience, that way you can watch the other stylists and learn, and you will more then likely get the chance to show off ur skills, a boss knows a gd hairdresser when they see one...
even if its just a few days a week..
I know its annoying, but we all gotta start somewhere.
xox

I completely agree with the others when saying salon experiance would help. I done an apprenticeship and only went to college 1 day a week the rest of my time was training in the salon and im so glad and lucky that i had that chance. I felt very confident in my abilities, but having others there really helps if you need some help. You pick up some very helpfull advice and even after doing a consultiation with a client they can help recommend colours to you that maybe you aren't familiar with etc. I know your finding it hard to get into a salon but if you go in and explain that youve just finished college and are looking for some experiance and would be willing to work there, unpaid, im sure some people would be interested to help you. Looking back at my abilities when i was newly qualified and how i work now i can understand how much the experiance has helped, im not saying your not very good, im sure you are, but as they say practise makes perfect :) good luck whatever happens though i wish you all the best x

Speaking as someone who has just recently been in this same position, I have to say, I agree with the experts.

I qualified for my level 2 in December 2009, have spent the last ten months working voluntary and doing family and friends because I could not find a paying position that didn't want experience, and am now training in my NVQ level 3.

I was lucky that during my level 2 I had a salon I went to one day a week, 9-5 for £10, so I did have that little knowledge of salon life.

I like you, am quite confident in my hairdressing ability, but it HAS taken me this eleven months to think, actually I AM a good hairdresser ... for a newbie anyway :p ... but no way was I ready to go mobile on proper clients that would expect a high standard when I was fresh from my level 2.

Out of my level 2 class, only 4 of us are now still hairdressing ... because the rest of them were time wasters who just wanted the EMA and ALG ... but they still qualified!! I have even swapped to a different college now, with a better standard than my last, for my level 3 .. because I want to be the best that I can be.

All I can say is just keep looking for that break into a salon, it'll come eventually .. the salon I volunteered with ended up hiring me when I said I would have to leave for college .. so it is possible to find a position.

If you really have your heart set on going mobile though, then I wish you the best of luck and hope it goes well for you. I am considering becoming mobile one day a week at the minute too, so please get in touch and tell me what your experience is like.

Hi their Siansy

I too am mature hairdresser starting late in life and luv luv luv it I am about to pass my test and start my own mobile business I have a year experience on the floor but cant work in a salon anymore due to kids etc not practical, I have clients already only around 10 and any advice or inspiration u could give me would be invaluble. xx

Latest posts

Back