Starting up!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JennBee

Reaction score
I have done a mani & pedi course and am now very interested in offering the gel based nail polishes. However, i have only recently started to look into them and have no idea which one is the best.

I have been looking at Gellux as the course is quite local to me, can anyone give me any advise? There are many to choose from and is very overwhelming!! Thanks :confused::confused:

personally i would go with shellac which isnt a gel polish but a power polish but you really need to go and try the different ones for yourself, whether you keep having a manicure at different places or you go to one of the beauty shows and trial one on each nail x

Shellac is a gel polish, jessica geleration is a hybrid gel polish as theyre normal polish range already contains gel components, gelish is gel polish. You research different brands to what suits you x

My 2 favourites are shellac & Gelish. I don't use Gelish anymore as shellac has taken over and had far too many bottles etc.

If you do a search on here you will find so many threads and each reason why people have chosen them. X x x

Hi! I would highly recommend CND SHELLAC - a POWER POLISH! Applies like nail polish & wears like gel! I LOVE it :)

Hi, I am new too! Ive chosen gelish as my first system to learn. I chose this as I was treated to a gelish manicure and pedicure a couple of years ago and it got me hooked so much, I saved up to train! Good luck.

I recommend shellac (power polish) but I also have Gellux gel, Gellux has nice colours and glitters, it is harder and takes longer to remove compared to shellac, but I do like it, tho now tend to use it more for toes or over enhancements where it needs to be buffed of anyway, as using either on enhancements means buffing.

If yo can get to excel in feb for the show you can look and try a few it, def recommend that.

Hi. Sorry but have to correct hayhay here. Shellac is not a gel polish! It's a power polish.

Very different.

Shellac is amazing, since investing in shellac it's been 80% of my business. Everyone loves it. It's addictive!

Hi. Sorry but have to correct hayhay here. Shellac is not a gel polish! It's a power polish.

Very different.

Shellac is amazing, since investing in shellac it's been 80% of my business. Everyone loves it. It's addictive!

Shellac contains gel components and if you take a look as the msds it is in the same category as gel polish so hayhay is correct in saying it is. Power polish is a marketing term, not a real term.

Well when told by CND that its not a gel polish I'm afraid I believed them.

Sorry

Well when told by CND that its not a gel polish I'm afraid I believed them.

Sorry

There is no need to say sorry :D it's not a full gel polish like say Gelish etc but it does contain gel, so to say its not a gel polish its not true. The facts state it does contain gel amongst other things. X X x

I offer Shellac and Gelish 9/10 times the customer chooses based on the colour they don't seem bothered whether it's a Shellac or Gelish colour. Shellac is better known and a lot of customers use it when they just mean a long lasting gel/power polish they don't realise it's a specific brand (well my customers don't). I think for that reason alone it is worth offering Shellac as when people are Googling etc they will use the word Shellac.

Personally I find Gelish lasts longer without chipping but it is harder to remove but then by the 3rd week the regrowth is pretty awful anyway so swings and roundabouts. I prefer removing Shellac as it comes off cleanly no embarrassing having to rewrap/struggling to get the last wee stubborn bits off. Try a few out- maybe go get a couple of manicures to test for yourself.

Hi, I'm also on a mani&pedi course and they included gel polish in the course itself, and they used IBD Just Gel polishes, they are extremely good! They work well and last a good two weeks before they start the peel. Take a look into them, they do starter pack so if your not sure just experiment with the starter. Hope this helped you :)

Thank you all for your help :) i have alot to research to do i guess!! I will def be going to the beauty show in Feb so hopefully i can decide soon :lol:

i think depends on the average age group of your clientele .. i found
the older clients tend to ask for shellac
the younger ones favour gelish
hth x

Hi Jenn,

There's also OPI Gelcolor to add to your list :)

Iv just ordered shellac kit from CND as comments have been outstandingly positive. so im giving it a whirl im sure if you go with this brand you wont be dissapointed x

Sent from my GT-P1000 using SalonGeek

Latest posts

Back