starting up

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Posh Paws

Reaction score
when starting up a business what do i need to look for when employing another nail technician ?

do i need to convert them to the products i use by sending them on a conversion course?

doing a business plan at the mo and have thought that it would obviously be more profitable having 2 technicians ..... not sure what comes next though if they have been trained else where .

any advice would be sooooooooo appreciated thanks xx

I would never employ another person again. It just ain't worth the hassel.
A wise bird once told me that the biggest problem I would every have in business is staff and the trust issues that go with them. Boy oh boy was she ever right!

Staff always think they are worth more than they are. They always think they should earn more than they do. No matter how good a boss you are, they begin to resent you just because you are the boss. They all think that every penny goes in your pocket instead of on rent and overheads. etc etc.

Rent a table instead but with RULES (yours) to which they must agree to adhere. The money may not be as much, but it is regular whether they are there or not. They have to manage their own book. If they are ill, it is they who have to deal with their clients and not you. You don't have to get into national ins. etc. If they want to move on they can and will be unlikely to take your clients (which seems to be the way most employees think they can build their business these days). They do not have access to your till so can't steal. They can use their own products so it doesn't matter if their system differs from yours etc etc.

Of course there are the very rare exceptions but bear in mind they are VERY rare indeed. Do I sound a cynical old mare ... you bet I am ... from many years experinece of employing others and I had good co-workers and was a good boss, but it only takes a few to try and shaft you before you realise it is not worth the gamble.

One day you will remember my words if you go the employment route.

A wise bird once told me that the biggest problem I would every have in business is staff and the trust issues that go with them. Boy oh boy was she ever right!

Staff always think they are worth more than they are. They always think they should earn more than they do. No matter how good a boss you are, they begin to resent you just because you are the boss. They all think that every penny goes in your pocket instead of on rent and overheads. etc etc.

Rent a table instead but with RULES (yours) to which they must agree to adhere. The money may not be as much, but it is regular whether they are there or not. They have to manage their own book. If they are ill, it is they who have to deal with their clients and not you. You don't have to get into national ins. etc. If they want to move on they can and will be unlikely to take your clients (which seems to be the way most employees think they can build their business these days). They do not have access to your till so can't steal. They can use their own products so it doesn't matter if their system differs from yours etc etc.

Of course there are the very rare exceptions but bear in mind they are VERY rare indeed. Do I sound a cynical old mare ... you bet I am ... from many years experinece of employing others and I had good co-workers and was a good boss, but it only takes a few to try and shaft you before you realise it is not worth the gamble.

Thankyou for some sound advice ...... i will not forget those words even while i sleep:lol: .... i was kind of thinking like that but i guess now i have heard it from you i will reconcider as your advice means alot ....

So would i just advertise "table to rent " ?
If they are using my premisis all the above would ruien my reputation any way wouldnt it ?
i think now i should prob go it alone .... !

i feel very nervous about the whole thing is that a sign that maybe i shoulnt be going this route ?
any more advice from you would be greatly appreciated from rent, doing up premisis, advertising etc etc would be gladly appreciated xx

HI there

Just been reading the last thread TRUE indeed better off working for yourself dont involve anyone else unless your are thinking of buying proper salon premisses which does,nt always have positives, as you will know there is cost of buying premises, or renting, electricity, gas, phone etc.

I am a fully qualified holistic and beauty therapist of 4 yrs been going mobile but now decided to go home base much better option.

Firstly when you come out of college you car,nt get a job without work experience, also if you have been mobile like me employers are VERY reluctant to take you on coz you have the confidence and experience anyway being mobile, ONE employer said to me your exactly what I am looking for BUT I am scared if I take you on, with your confidence and experience I could loose all my clients within 6 months.:)

Maybe she.s right lol... but I am doing just a good as she is right now working from home I have a little added extra than her though,, ive got a 6 birth Hydrotherapy Hot Tub and a steam shower in my concervatory which is the selling point for my business,

So go it ALONE working for yourself is always the best option.

Totally agree, I'm not such a wise old bird as you )I will be one day) but never wanted employees when I set up my salon, the legalities and rules and regulations set you up for nothing in a small business, I have 2 renters now which helps with my overheads and saves the hassle of being an employer.

hi Cathie,
may I ask how much you charge rent?
Ive been offered a room today and am bit worried about paying that out every week.

hi Cathie,
may I ask how much you charge rent?
Ive been offered a room today and am bit worried about paying that out every week.

This should be a private message hun. Have a conversation with Cathie in a pm. :hug:

oh, Ok, sorry, I'm just getting used to the forum and didn't know you are allowed to do that.
thanks.

Of course there are the very rare exceptions but bear in mind they are VERY rare indeed.

Very nice to know I'm special :green: at least nice staff are appreciated :)

I very much appreciated my nice staff too love ... and I'm still friends with many of them ... that doesn't alter the fact that I have had enough bother with theives and opportunists to last me a lifetime and I would never ever do it again.

Don't speak to soon because for sure if you are in business long enogh it will happen to you too and you will then be singing a different tune.

I wouldn't wish what has happenned to me on my worst enemy ... lets hope you are luckier than I.

It really depends what your goals are, what size of income are you aiming for? and how successful you want to be?

Managing staff is not easy, I agree its a headache. However it is do-able. Successful managers are not a myth - there are thousands of them across the globe and thankfully an increasing number of them are woman - we're quite good at it!!
Do what your goal requires and not what the cynics tell you.

xx

It really depends what your goals are, what size of income are you aiming for? and how successful you want to be?

Managing staff is not easy, I agree its a headache. However it is do-able. Successful managers are not a myth - there are thousands of them across the globe and thankfully an increasing number of them are woman - we're quite good at it!!

xx

I'm no cynic ... just have allot of experience.

If the benefit of that experience is to answer the question asked,, truthfully,, that is what I do. Learning from your own bad experiences is a pretty stupid way to learn, when you can learn from someone elses bad experiences ... is that not so?

If you're going to manage ... then MANAGE. If you are going to work behind the nail table then do that. If you have employees, then my advice is Don't do both. You just can't keep your eye on everything if you are involved with clients all day. You can do the odd client here and there when needs must but managing is a full time job.

I'm no cynic ... just have allot of experience.

If you're going to manage ... then MANAGE. If you are going to work behind the nail table then do that. If you have employees, then my advice is Don't do both. You just can't keep your eye on everything if you are involved with clients all day. You can do the odd client here and there when needs must but managing is a full time job.

here here!!
i do both, but sadly neither of them very well,
one is going to have to give, buts its a hard decision to make

xx
Yes I agree with this,also it's not always possible for managers to just manage without working in the salon,indeed if it's a fairly small business but more work is available than just for the salon owner,it would be very non -cost effective for the owner/manager to just manage all day and not actually do any ,'salon work'.(Client wise I mean)

Thankfully thieves imo are in the minority,they are out there yes, I know but a lot of salons have damned good staff and without these staff the salons wouldn't exist,couldn't exist.

As for what to look for in potential staff well,obviously it's important to get references,check on these(always)Make sure you both have a thorough understanding of what you require from her/him and what she/he requires from you and the job.Too many salon owners start piling more and more onto their staff,things that they arent being paid for,i.e managing the salon whilst the owner goes on endless holidays ,days off etc.

I'm not saying as an owner you're not entitled to have holidays etc,what I am saying though is if your staff are managing your salon for you whilst you're away reward them for their efforts,if not then as geeg said you will get resentment.I know many friends who have been asked to do many things beyond the call of duty,and dont get a thing for it.Thats when bad feelings arise. Get it clear, from the offset to avoid these problems in the future.

Good luck though with whatever you decide to do, be it renting a desk or employing staff,we aren't all bad,thieves or think we are worth more than we are,believe me.:green:Staff can be the foundation to any business,I know it's not all easy with them but a lot of businesses wouldn't be where they are now without their staff.:hug:

I think I made it more than clear in my post that I was not talking about EVERYONE and I think I also made it clear that I wasn't talking about managing ONLY if you have only one or two members of staff. Why twist what I am saying?

I had a salon ( 3 actually) with 12 staff. I could not both manage and work 10 hours a day doing nails. I did get ripped off by 3 or 4 staff over 10 years and probably more that I didn't know about. You would have considered all of them 'nice' girls ... If I had it to do over I would have saved the hassel and the heartache and rented out the space ... THAT is what I am saying .. nothing like as black and white as you have made it look. What's more I bet anyone on here who has employed a significant number of staff would agree with me. I have heard it thousands of times from other salon owners who have 'enjoyed' the same sort of experiences.

thanks for all the replys .....

I have taken on board some real good advice which is why i asked the question ......
The out come is that i am going to continue from home for a while and not go down the shop side of things for a while as i just dont think that it is going to be worth all the hassle ......

thanks everyone xx

Latest posts

Back