Starting up

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kimberley0699

Reaction score
Hi all

I was wondering how everyone who has their own business (shop, mobile or from home) started up? Just thought it would be interesting if anyone has any stories?

I am currently trying to build up enough clients so that I can at least go part time in my current job. Its so frustrating - I want to do nails full-time NOW!!! I tell myself to be patient.

I know exactly what you mean! I have been doing nails part time from home and mobile. It's a big plunge to take giving up a reliable job to do nails. I'm impatient like you!! Can't wait ! It WILL happen though. When I'm brave enough. I think I'm going to take enough clients on top of my job so when I can't cope, I'll do it. Good luck!
Sam xx

I started mobile but didnt like it, i was lucky enough to have dinning room going spare which i changed into my studio. This has worked out really well but i found building a client base was quite hard. my aim is to open my own shop within the next 2 years but i still lack experience. I was headhunted by a hair salon owner that had seen a set of my nails and asked if i would like to work in her salon in town, i haven't looked back since.

I still work from home and do 3 full days in the shop. I don't think nail tech's ever work part time hours, its the hardest job iv ever done but it gives me the greatest saticfaction. I never tell ppl i can't fit them in this week and in total i must work about 50+ hours pw. But i love my job and if i was rich i would do it for nohing.

Keep going...you'be working full time hours before you know it!!

Vicky xx

Kimberley0699 said:
Hi all

I was wondering how everyone who has their own business (shop, mobile or from home) started up? Just thought it would be interesting if anyone has any stories?

I am currently trying to build up enough clients so that I can at least go part time in my current job. Its so frustrating - I want to do nails full-time NOW!!! I tell myself to be patient.

Kim I'm feeling exactly the same. Alhough being a housewife makes it easier to devote more time to it.

I've only been doing this for a few of months and I've spent so much money on kit and training! To help recoup some of the outlay, I'm advertising Myself as a mobile technician and have had a couple of clients at home as well.

I've have had lots of practice with Mrs Nail Trainer and forgiving friends so I'm really confident about my results and they are miles better than some nails I've had from technicians in this area!! ~However, take up is slow and frustrating. I get lots of interest in my own nails and hoards of people have asked me for prices and cards but still I sit and wait.

Most people say "so wheres your salon?". I'm half minded to go for it now as I really feel like (apart from motherhood) I've found my little niche in life and something I'm really rather good at. Although I think a lot of people find going to a salon more comfortable than inviting you into their home, I should really get a good client base first and do it the sensible way. I hear people say I've been doing it for 2,3 years but I don't have enough experience to open a salon, if that was me I'd be in an asylum!!! After all that time surely you could operate sucessfully (or maybe my standards are lower?).

Offering manicure and pedicure has definately opened doors for me and given me a wider audience especially at this time of year. I also leave my overall on to pick my children up from nursery, on my way into the gym etc etc, people then stop and ask you about what you do. I always try and change my tips between natural, french and clear every so often and I always wear some art on my right index finger so people can see it when I sign things or hold the phone.

I really wish you luck and if I had the answer I'd tell you! Maybe we should be the founder members of the "Frustration Academy for Impatient Nail Techs"!

At the moment I am doing a couple of nights per week at a gym in leeds centre - its picking up but VERY slowly! I also do some nails from home, but not as many as I would like yet.

I am being positive and putting in a big effort, sending out people I know with gorgeous nails armed with my business cards left right and centre!

Hello,

My best friend is opening a salon/spa very soon. She doesn't have the building yet, but she stepped out in faith and opened up a room right at home. She converted an extra bedroom into a mini nail spa. There is a huge window w/ a lovely view that lets in tons of sunshine. She has a nice table w/lamp, a beautiful book shelf with retail products, and a polish rack, and a walk in closet stores all of her extra supplies. She is able to do pedicures in a gorgeous stainless steel bowl w/ stones in the bottom. The room is quiet, cute, and cozy. She can close the door when she is working on clients so her kids don't disturb her. If you want to work from home, I think this is a great way to do it. Good Luck! Later!

"Frustration Academy for Impatient Nail Techs"!

I like it!!!

I graduated from school in agoust and moved to italy. For the first 4 months i refused to do nails cause i was so scared i was not going to do well. I purchased all this stuff and got it shipped here and was sitting in my closet.:|
But thank god to my mom who is the number one person in my life, she forced me to do her nails one day in February. I was working for her everyday cause she owns a bar here, and now i am down only on working 3 nights a week cause i have picked up so many clients. And i have so much still to learn. The only unfortunate thing is that here to open a nail salon you have to be an estetician and my american licenze is not valid, so i am doing nails from home, even though .........

Latest posts

Back