Stay put or go mobile

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andi

Reaction score
Hello There Geeks,
I'm new to this site which I must say I love because of all the info given and shared. Here's my problem I am a beauty therapist and have been for nearly twenty years, most of that time I have been located in a sports centre which was run by the local council. A few years ago the building was leased out to a private contractor and their support to me is nil. Six months ago there was a leak in my room and some of the ceiling tiles fell down which they haven't yet replaced and they still haven't located the source of the leak. Which means every week there are more damp patches on the ceiling. Business has been very quiet this month and I don't know whether this is due to time of year of the state of my room. To make matters worse when I was at work yesterday there was a guy standing in reception giving out leaflets for another salon on the area! Do you think I should stay and keep pestering them to do something or go mobile. Sorry to go on so but I just feel completely confused.
Regards Andi.:cry:

In this situation I would feel that even if you keep pestering and get this problem repaired there may be another down the line that you will have to battle with. They obviously do not apreciate you there. You could always ask your clients how they feel about mobile beauty services without telling them you will be making the move. Is it just you working there self-employed?

You could always look around and see where else you could rent as this may be how you feel most comfortable working. I am mobile however and love the freedom and the financial rewards it brings. You do have to be prepared to put in the work and of course the money to enable you to start up, but if you make wise, unrushed decisions you will be making the best decisions of your life.

You have 20 years of experience and will therefore be an excellent therapist. Don't stay and stagnate in the damp room, you may find you loose clients because they will think it is you who is not repairing the room.

Just think how wonderful it would be to do something fresh.:)

I think this must be what you want to do or you wouldn't have posted the idea. :hug:

Welcome to the site :hug:

I would ask for a meeting with the manager and put forward your concerns and give them a deadline to get it sorted. If they don't then I would leave.

Are you self employed or employed ? If you are happy working from a salon enviroment why not look around for another room to rent ? A lot of salons don't even advertise I found mine by calling round local hair salons.

I understand how annoyed you would be about the guy handing out leaflets, in our salon we have a board for local business to put their cards on and a mobile therapist that I had helped out getting her a client came in and put her card up !!! I had that removed pronto !

Thanks Guys,
I have just rang the centre to make an appointment with the manager and have a meeting with him. However I think in long run I will probably go down the mobile route as I think it is time for a change, I will just have to learn to be a bit more organised. Do you charge a min call out or min time slot or just do your treatments as usual,
Andi.

I would definately call a meeting with the manager and tell them how dissatified you are at the moment with the conditions you have to work in and the support you are receiving from them.If they fail to do as you request then i would seriously consider going mobile.
On a personal level i have just recently started mobile work after always being employed in a salon.I have found it great,for me it fits around my husband hours so he can look after our daughter and going to peoples houses is always an interesting and usually relaxed atmosphere.
Hope you get something sorted out soon:hug:xxx

I say minimum call out £25 on my pice lists but if they call and I am close by I will still go for £20 it's at my discression really as I'm the boss! :lol:

Thanks guys for your help I shall let you know how I get on. At the moment I am making a questionaire for my clients to see how they would like to have their treatments,

will keep you posted, I love this site regards Andi:)

Latest posts

Back