Stay put or move on?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boop

Reaction score
Hi All,

For the last few months I've been renting a small room in a gym, I've found all my own clients and have had only a handful of gym members. An opportunity has come my way and I've been to look at a room in a new Hairdresses.

The room I am working from now is/was an office with a fixed desk and big leather chairs (shared with a non-beauty person) so I've had to partician the end of the room of with a room divider, carpeted floors & no storage. I've done my very best to make it look like a 'treatment room'.

The room in the hair salon is purpose made into a treatment room, wooded flooring, sink and cupboards along the side with a work surface ontop and its decorated nice. Looks alot more professional.

I'm in a dilema as to whether to move or not!

The hair salon is new this year and is quite still from what I can gather, (it's nice inside though) but has no sign above the door with their salon name! It's out of town but in an area with just a newsagents next door and many many houses around (good potential) but it seems (to me) quite hard to get to. Where I work now is by a big supermarker so eveyone knows where I am.

Also there is another beauy therapist renting the room just on a Friday. (I would want just part time anyway) The manager of the salon doesnt seem to think another person coming in doing beauty would be a problem. The other lady is very expensive, and I wouldnt want to look like I was undercutting/competition, and it looks like we do slightly different treatments.

Also I would have to take my things home a the end of each day (there is a couch in there already I could use and a nail desk) so I'd have to take home pretty much everything else. ( I have to pack everything away where I am now but stack it all in the corner of the room)

They seem to be laid back and are building up the salon so it would be nice to all work together in that way. The manager at the gym now is struggling in my opinion and has now put it on me that I need to do more days, but I am not busy enough yet to work more days and couldn't warrant the costs, I'm already paying over 50% of my earnings out because of the arrangment already! The hair salon, I could work the same amount of days for £20 a week less than gym, which would really help me at the moment as I'm still building up my treatment menu/have college courses coming up.

I started June this year and have just over 70 clients on records, just over a third of them visit regularly, I don't know if these stats are good or not, I do wonder why more havn't become regulars but I know Ive done a fe people that were going on holidays/weddings/races so were one off clients and quite a few people have taken advantge of special offers and then moved onto the next one no doubt.
If I was to go to the hair salon, I know at least a few people who wouldn't follow me because they will no longer be 'just round the corner' or 'accross the road' from me, and also the staff in the gym I don't think would either. So I know I'd loose some clients, but also have potential to gain some.

I'm really keen on the hair salon room, just concerened really about the location/friday beauty therapist/taking everything to and from.

Sorry this is SO long, just want peoples opinions \ thoughts \ similar experiences.

Hi
Not much use but I work in a gym, (see pic attached) but its the gym inside a hotel. But basically if I were you I'd move, by the sound of how your working the moment isn't ideal. As long as their is a client base or you think a client base is possible to build them go for it I would say!
jevudube.jpg

a2y4amep.jpg

Mmmm Boop this is a bit of a toughy. Bear with me whilst I ramble, these are just thoughts I have regarding the new and old place, both for and against:

1. I would be concerned about sharing space with another therapist, although they are only there for one day and you don't do the same treatments, would the owner give exclusivity on the treatments you offer now? I ask this as if you both end up doing the same treatments in the end you don't want to be competing from a price point of view and would you be happy for your client to then go with the other therapist if she needed a Friday and you weren't in that day... am I making sense?

2. Location is a huge factor- you don't want to jump out of the fire in to the frying pan. Being in a residential area can work, but it's not as easy as say in a high street. That said it does work for many people. However you would be in an environment whereby people have treatments for hair and beauty on friday's, so I would think you have quite a good starting point of clients you could tap in to, as opposed to say the gym.

3. With regards to taking everything home, why do you need to do that? Though I guess it would be security for your products. Would this be a problem for you?

4. You have exclusivity of the beauty trade at the gym, though granted sharing a room is not ideal, the new place is purpose built which would make an inviting atmosphere- do you think better for your clients and you?

5. The gym is now putting on pressure, do you pay a flat rate or do you pay a percentage. I'm guessing if it's a percentage they are asking for more days because they want more money. Mmmm tough one, could you come to some sort of arrangement with them.

6. I'm not sure how many days you would be working at the hairdressers, but do you know if she would want a 3rd therapist in there? Something worth asking.

7. Is there a contract to look at, as this may help you further decide what is best.

Sorry I don't think I've really helped you at all, I'm just trying to give you an idea of things I would be considering faced with your decision.

Good luck. xxx

Thanks Chloe, your room looks lovely!

And Thanks Happyfeet, thats what I was hoping for, someone elses perspective and some more pointers to ponder over.

Where I am working now, I have never done Fridays, so the clients I have already know that so that shouldnt be a problem for them, but I see what you're saying about new clients and what if they want a friday appointment.

I could take products/retail and LED lamp home, for other things there is he possibility of storing it, so thats no problem really.

I would feel alot more professional in the room at the hair salon, as I get the impression some people think I have set up and am doing a 'hobby'!

As for rent, I pay a fixed rate for one day and 25% for the other day. This is purely because I was struggling paying a fixed rate for 2 full days, I'm still quite new and don't like turning people away so have been having a couple of people on each day, which doesn't utilise the days (I'd rather have been doing one day and be full) so over the week have been aying over 50% of what I earn in fixed rate and commision (does that make sense?) But now she is asking for 2 days fixed again and an extra day or two.

I forgot to mention also, the room is freezing cold even with the electric heater on full, I had 2 new clients this week who sat in their coats for their nail treatments:(

Thanks again for your time responding x x

Thanks, my room is getting their now :) I'm planning to change the pink soon though! I'm not a pink person but the girl before obviously was! Haha!

As for clients thinking its a hobby, they probably do if you haven't got the space set up right I.e like you said the partition thing, and it being freezing cold, I wouldn't wanna be sat in my coat having my nails done, maybe if it was my choice to keep my coat on fair enough! But it should be warm enough clients don't need their coat on!

Maybe that's just my opinion though haha!

Thanks, my room is getting their now :) I'm planning to change the pink soon though! I'm not a pink person but the girl before obviously was! Haha!

As for clients thinking its a hobby, they probably do if you haven't got the space set up right I.e like you said the partition thing, and it being freezing cold, I wouldn't wanna be sat in my coat having my nails done, maybe if it was my choice to keep my coat on fair enough! But it should be warm enough clients don't need their coat on!

Maybe that's just my opinion though haha!

No no it's so true and just what I know already. I'm so swayed towards the other room in the hair salon, my only issues are:

Newly opened /quiet salon
friday beauty girl
different location not as easy to find

Thanks for reply, what colour are you going for next time? I'm not a pink person either but that pink is quite nice! x

No no it's so true and just what I know already. I'm so swayed towards the other room in the hair salon, my only issues are:

Newly opened /quiet salon
friday beauty girl
different location not as easy to find

Thanks for reply, what colour are you going for next time? I'm not a pink person either but that pink is quite nice! x

So with it being new/quiet? Have you seen as appointment book? Had chance to talk to the other girl, drop into convo, "so how's work? Are you busy" if she starts "erm not bad" that means well she can't make it work really.
As for quite location, is there a main road near? Or is in the middle of no where? Is that people about, is it on a bus route etc? Shops near by?
Friday beauty girl? Suppose not everyone can suit one day!

Haven't thought about it yet as it will probs not end getting done till summer now, but their is a purple back wall like deep purple, I love that, and I'm planning of keeping the back wall.
ubehada9.jpg

So with it being new/quiet? Have you seen as appointment book? Had chance to talk to the other girl, drop into convo, "so how's work? Are you busy" if she starts "erm not bad" that means well she can't make it work really.
As for quite location, is there a main road near? Or is in the middle of no where? Is that people about, is it on a bus route etc? Shops near by?
Friday beauty girl? Suppose not everyone can suit one day!

Haven't thought about it yet as it will probs not end getting done till summer now, but their is a purple back wall like deep purple, I love that, and I'm planning of keeping the back wall.
ubehada9.jpg

I saw the diary was open yesterday when I went in and there were apps in yesterday (no-one when I went in) they have only opened since July, from there facebook page it seems they are doing 50% offers off certain hair styling/colouring.

The salon is placed next door to a newsagents in the middle of a housing area, there are so many houses around (but not much else) close by is a bus stop.
I'm popping back in over the weekend so my boyfriend can have a look.

They dont have any signage above the door yet (I've asked why but didnt get a proper answer)

I'm happy to do my own advertising as I have been doing, and finding my own clients.

Hmmmmmmm so many points to consider.

Personally I would look for somewhere else altogether!

Jumping out of the chip pan in to the fire is definitely not the way to go and I speak from experience here which has pretty much cost me my living.

Clients you think may follow you is not guaranteed as you find they stay loyal to a place for whatever reason so I would expect to be starting from scratch.

If the new place already has someone in on fridays (this has always been my busiest day) then chances are she will gain majority of clients that want treatments for the weekend.

Parking and access are a big issue and in a new salon it will take time for it to build up a good regular clientelle which can be at least a year.

Sorry if my reply comes across as harsh as it is not intended that way just would hate for you to make the same mistake I did especially as the current climate does not bring in as much as often as it did a few years ago.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do, however I would look for a room in an established salon in a good location even if that means sticking with what you have for the time being :hug:

Personally I would look for somewhere else altogether!

Jumping out of the chip pan in to the fire is definitely not the way to go and I speak from experience here which has pretty much cost me my living.

Clients you think may follow you is not guaranteed as you find they stay loyal to a place for whatever reason so I would expect to be starting from scratch.

If the new place already has someone in on fridays (this has always been my busiest day) then chances are she will gain majority of clients that want treatments for the weekend.

Parking and access are a big issue and in a new salon it will take time for it to build up a good regular clientelle which can be at least a year.

Sorry if my reply comes across as harsh as it is not intended that way just would hate for you to make the same mistake I did especially as the current climate does not bring in as much as often as it did a few years ago.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do, however I would look for a room in an established salon in a good location even if that means sticking with what you have for the time being :hug:

thats a good peice of advice to be honest :)

If the new opportunity was that promising you would be more excited and less doubtful already. Id stay where you are for now because it sounds like its working, all whilst keeping an eye open for other opportunities.

Thanks for your replies.

I've been to have another look at the room today and my bf saw it too.

The room I am certain on, it's so much more professional looking than the one I have now. The manager seem easy to get along with too. The friday girl mostly does mobile work but from what I gather doesnt seem to be too busy at the hair salon on fridays.

The only things I'm not excited about are the location (seemed quiet today (even though its sat!) in a residential area) and the outside image of the salon. I asked her why she hasnt got a sign up above the door and she said it's going to cost a few hundred pound and at the moment she is just covering costs. Hopefully soon though. I wonder why she hasn't done certain things, that even I would think of but then I'm not the one with the salon to pay for and the bills to pay etc.

Still no futher into making a decision. I was as soon as I saw the room again! But now pondering over the location and outside image!

Latest posts

Back