Stealing in my salon

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redlottie13

JUST BE NICE
Reaction score
Hi all hope you are all enjoying the change of weather [emoji258][emoji219]

So I have a number of clothes in my salon on rails as I've been due to do an event to raise money for charity

( All proceeds going to charity who looked after my daughter I lost last year)

Due to moving the salon around to accommodate a new member of staff I had the rails in the staff room for 3-4 weeks.

Now I've noticed 2 dresses size 8-10 missing. 2 weeks ago. One was brand new with labels £60 quid and another brand new without labels £40....I've only managed to gut the salon today and can now confirm they are missing & weren't in a random bag or fell down the back of something, I have an inventory of all items.

I'm utterly disgusted! It could be staff or clients, but staff know that's the only room without CCTV!
But why not take money or something worth more (there's a couple of designer bits too)

All staff are these sizes too.

What can I do? Staff are told not to leave anyone unnatended at anytime, and now I have bought it up with them they have said they have left people to grab them a drink ect, usually mid way through a treatment. (Beauty is the opposite room)

It's really upset me mainly because I'm raising money for charity and someone has not only stolen from me but charity too!! (Although clients may not know this)

Any ideas??

xx

Sorry to hear this. It must be very upsetting after all your efforts.
As you say, you were using the space to store the garments and hadn’t been keeping check during a 3-4 week period so the two dresses could have been taken at the same time. If the staff knew of your plans, it seems hard to imagine that one of them would be so brazen. It’s more likely to be a opportunist client.
I don’t think you can blame the staff as they haven't really done anything wrong and expecting them to constantly police clients is probably a bit unrealistic.
I think it’s fine to show your disappointment but be wary of making any vague accusations as it could lead to a bad atmosphere and you don’t want staff suspecting each other without any evidence. Chances are, the staff are upset by the thefts too, knowing exactly why you are doing it. Mutual trust and respect between salon owner and all the staff is vital to ensure a happy thriving salon.

Well done for making the effort to fundraise and I hope the event raises lots of money for the charity. x

Welcome to Africa theft happens all the time , anyhow this aside I’m terribly sorry to hear of the loss.
As haircuts has mentioned you can’t assume anything and as there is no proof you cannot blame or treat your staff as if they guilty when they could be innocent, this ruining the work relationship you have with them and then it goes downhill from there.

Good luck for your refurbishment and launch I hope you have great success

Sorry to hear this. It must be very upsetting after all your efforts.
As you say, you were using the space to store the garments and hadn’t been keeping check during a 3-4 week period so the two dresses could have been taken at the same time. If the staff knew of your plans, it seems hard to imagine that one of them would be so brazen. It’s more likely to be a opportunist client.
I don’t think you can blame the staff as they haven't really done anything wrong and expecting them to constantly police clients is probably a bit unrealistic.
I think it’s fine to show your disappointment but be wary of making any vague accusations as it could lead to a bad atmosphere and you don’t want staff suspecting each other without any evidence. Chances are, the staff are upset by the thefts too, knowing exactly why you are doing it. Mutual trust and respect between salon owner and all the staff is vital to ensure a happy thriving salon.

Well done for making the effort to fundraise and I hope the event raises lots of money for the charity. x
I know, sorry if it came across like I thought it was staff I actually believe it to be a client and I really do not know why but one in particular , even another staff member said the same.

The whole situation is just very upsetting ... particularly due to the cause!

Thankyou girls you geeks on here really are the best x

I know, sorry if it came across like I thought it was staff I actually believe it to be a client and I really do not know why but one in particular , even another staff member said the same.

The whole situation is just very upsetting ... particularly due to the cause!

Thankyou girls you geeks on here really are the best x

If you are suspicious of one client, check the other CCTV from the last time she was in. Did she have a big enough bag to take the dresses with her? Is she acting differently? Also, you could check her FB incase she is wearing one of the dresses. She will slip up and post a picture at some point.
But what will you do if it was her? Confront her?
Perhaps let your clients know of the fact (obviously without accusing anyone) and say that you hope to make enough to cover those dresses too. Would be great if you had pictures.

I'm sorry for the loss of your daughter x

If you are suspicious of one client, check the other CCTV from the last time she was in. Did she have a big enough bag to take the dresses with her? Is she acting differently? Also, you could check her FB incase she is wearing one of the dresses. She will slip up and post a picture at some point.
But what will you do if it was her? Confront her?
Perhaps let your clients know of the fact (obviously without accusing anyone) and say that you hope to make enough to cover those dresses too. Would be great if you had pictures.

I'm sorry for the loss of your daughter x
I've tried stalking her FB but it's limited as we aren't friends ...

CCTV doesn't cover the room she was in unfortunatly [emoji42]

I want to set a trap any ideas ladies?

I'm sorry for your loss and you're being so positive by helping the charity.

Do you send out mailshots or newsletters to your client list? You could put out a mailshot with a mention about the upcoming sale, the cause it's going to and exactly why you're doing it. Then mention that at some point between the inventory and this week some items have been lost, they would have brought much needed funds for this charity. If anyone finds or spots them or could help, could they leave the items in x place, no questions asked.

I'm sorry for your loss and you're being so positive by helping the charity.

Do you send out mailshots or newsletters to your client list? You could put out a mailshot with a mention about the upcoming sale, the cause it's going to and exactly why you're doing it. Then mention that at some point between the inventory and this week some items have been lost, they would have brought much needed funds for this charity. If anyone finds or spots them or could help, could they leave the items in x place, no questions asked.
I've done this on my biz page, I've asked that the items are returned via post no questions asked.

I just hope they have a heart.....very very much doubt it though x

Latest posts

Back