Stevenage - home based geeks

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xxjadesxx

Reaction score
Hello All,

I'm in a right pickle! I'm moving to Stevenage in a few months and i've been trying to be organised and get sorted for my home-based beauty room.

I've been speaking to Stevenage Council (and lots of different departments) and i have been told something different by every person! Including paying a chunky fee for change of use!

If you have a home based business in Stevenage PLEASE let me know what situation you are in and if you needed planning permission, certificate of lawful proposed use or you didnt require anything.

Really hope you can help so i can get some clarification! Its really quite stressful!

Thanks xx

I can't help you re Stevenage but I know what you mean as I had the same thing regarding setting up my home salon 4 years ago. Every department told me something different and some had no clue but wanted me to pay up to send a form out for me to fill in. This was also the case regarding council tax / business tax, I spoke to several people who could not give me an answer and then I was told not to worry about it as one cancelled out the other!!!

I spoke to other people who work from home and they all said that the council did not have any specific criteria as long as you have plenty of parking and you're not annoying your neighbours. I hope this is the case for you as some councils want you to jump through hoops, get licenses etc.

Good luck xx

Ah thank you so much for your response! It so confusing! Was beginning to go mad :0

I think the best thing to do is get set up and start to build a client base then once I get to know neighbours I can ask how they feel about it and hopefully get no complaints! There is lots of parking and there will be one client at a time with a gap between each to avoid overlapping!

It would be interesting to hear if any other councils we the sane as ours and what route people took!

Thanks so much again I so appreciate it x

Hey jade, I'm moving back to Stevenage next week. I worked mobile before moving out here but I did set up a tattoo studio for my husband and the council were very shall we say "confussing :D" they told us we need so much information Market research etc before we had a meeting with the planning dept but when we got there they didn't even look at our business plan. The h&s didn't know what they were looking for or what standards things had to be to but in the end everything worked out and they we're all very nice.

I hope it works out for you and business goes well, maybe we can treatment swap :biggrin:

Ah so you did need planning in the end? I should be in Stevenage in august :) I can't wait!

Def can treatment swap ;)

X

Latest posts

Back