still cant get it right!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kitkat2004

Reaction score
Hi to you all

I found this place a couple of weeks ago, and i've just been browsing, reading all the good advice thats given, but i STILL need help!:cry:

When i apply my tip, i find it takes ages to blend it to the natural nail. I've tried blending it before i apply it, but it ends up too thin, or i file a hole in it! Im using a 240 grit file....is this right? Im still in my 'practising' stage, before i can be let loose on the public, and i so want to get it right! i can blend it into the nail, but it takes far too long (at least 5mins). Any advice you can offer a newbie....please ?

kitkat2004 said:
Hi to you all

I found this place a couple of weeks ago, and i've just been browsing, reading all the good advice thats given, but i STILL need help!:cry:

When i apply my tip, i find it takes ages to blend it to the natural nail. I've tried blending it before i apply it, but it ends up too thin, or i file a hole in it! Im using a 240 grit file....is this right? Im still in my 'practising' stage, before i can be let loose on the public, and i so want to get it right! i can blend it into the nail, but it takes far too long (at least 5mins). Any advice you can offer a newbie....please ?

Hiya

I was taught to pre-blend before applying tip and then blend with a 100 grit file. You are not (or shouldn't be) filing the natural nail only the tip so a 240 grit file is not necessary, I only use these for preparing the natural nail prior to tipping. I generally tend to switch to a 180 grit file to finish off my blending but I am sure a lot of techs will tell you this isn't really necessary its just how I was taught.

HTH
Shaza

The excess time you are taking is a combination of probably 2 things:

1. You definitely need to switch to a 100/180 grit abrasive
2. You may be holding the abriasive in such a way that you are not using it the most effective way.

Still, where number 1 is concerned, you have by now learned good control so that when you switch to a coarser grit you can be sure that you file only the tip and not the natural nail (this is a good thing).

Point number 2 - make sure you hold your abrasive in a way that puts pressure on the part that is actually thinning the tip rather than holding it at the end. So many people hold an abrasive incorrectly for this particular job and it takes ages longer to do the work because the pressure is not where you want it to be and also, holding it this way causes 'clicks' in the paper or worse bends and breaks the abrasive and builds up excess heat!! 3 good reasons for changing the grip you may be using.

thanks for your advice ... im gonna practise on my sister some more tonight! i was taught to use a 240 file to blend, finishing off with a 360, so i'll have a go with the coarser file .... hopefully it'll be a damn sight quicker !

Hi Kitkat

If you are ending up with holes where you are blending that is generally a sign that there was an air bubble when you applied the tip. When using the coarse file try using light strokes as you will be surprized at how quickly it will work, especially if you have been using alot of pressure when using the 240 grit, try and keep the file flat on the tip not pointing slightly towards the natural nail, that way the natural nail won't be touched and you wont have a ledge and pivot the finger slightly to prevent 'flat spots'. You will now see just how quickly you can blend the tips or better still when you have mastered that get and practice your sculpting - even more time saved and alot more fun!! ;)

thanx again you guys !

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back