Still having trouble making cuticles look tidy

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GoGirl♡

Reaction score
Hi all, so ive been doing mani/pedis for 2-3 years but as i have recently gone full time i am no doing them more frequently and also gel nails. To this day i am still having trouble making peoples cuticles look tidy on both fingers and toes, i fuss and take way too long and sometimes have to leave them still looking kinda messy. We use bisculpture cuticle remover for fingers and Novopro (20% glycolic) for toes but i still have trouble sometimes. Especially for people that leave it a long time and dont practice home care. Any tips would be greatly appreciated

CND Cuticle Away is hands down the very best remover I have ever tried.

CND Cuticle Away is hands down the very best remover I have ever tried.
Unfortunately this isnt an option for me in salon as my boss would quickly stop me from using any other brand but biosculpture on cli
ents.
I put remover on, push cuticles back and use nippers for extra skin but sometimes i end up with messier looking skin than before i started

Your finish will only ever be as good as your prep. Have you tried repeating your cuticle work and thus giving the remover extra time to work? I have one client who has dreadful dry fingers due to her work as a hairdresser and a cleaner and not wearing gloves and find that that’s the only way to deal with the hard cuticle. You should only be cutting the dead tissue and not the living. I agree with Attitude - try CuticleAway, it is great and could help solve your problem.

If you can’t use cuticle away I suggest soaking in water or using an efile.
Just place one hand in water the moment your client sits down and let it soak while you prepare your tools or as she chooses a colour. Then remove from water, apply biosculpture cuticle remover and start cleaning and during that time have the second hand soak. It will do a tremendous difference to your work

I use Cuticle Away but there are still clients occasionally who have done NOTHING in the way of cuticle work or even hand cream for months sometimes years and I do just say to them, I will do my absolute best, but with the best will in the world, I cannot put right in minutes what has taken months to get into this state [emoji51], and recommend more frequent visits and certainly a bit of home care. So from the outset, they have to lower their expectations and accept a little responsibility themselves

I think decent tools make a massive difference! I've yet to come across someone who's cuticles I haven't been able to make better by using cuticle away with a double ended cuticle pusher and a curette. The curette gets rid of that extra bit that looks 'messy'. And then you should only nip the bits that are hanging down. But yes it does take more than one appointment a lot of the time!

Also, I would be careful when it comes to soaking in water. I know with CND Shellac™ soaking with water before application is a big no no, I'm not sure about other brands but I would presume it's the same when it comes to gels?

I think decent tools make a massive difference! I've yet to come across someone who's cuticles I haven't been able to make better by using cuticle away with a double ended cuticle pusher and a curette. The curette gets rid of that extra bit that looks 'messy'. And then you should only nip the bits that are hanging down. But yes it does take more than one appointment a lot of the time!

Also, I would be careful when it comes to soaking in water. I know with CND Shellac[emoji769] soaking with water before application is a big no no, I'm not sure about other brands but I would presume it's the same when it comes to gels?
Have you got a pic of the tool you use pls? :) wondering if it's different to mine

ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1509304348.055469.jpg

ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1509304357.165511.jpg

I use these two from S2, sorry I haven't got an actual picture as they're at my salon! :)

Thanks, I've got the second but not the top one [emoji5]️

Thanks, I've got the second but not the top one [emoji5]️

The top one is fab! Gets really close to the eponychium without hurting client :)

Your finish will only ever be as good as your prep. Have you tried repeating your cuticle work and thus giving the remover extra time to work? I have one client who has dreadful dry fingers due to her work as a hairdresser and a cleaner and not wearing gloves and find that that’s the only way to deal with the hard cuticle. You should only be cutting the dead tissue and not the living. I agree with Attitude - try CuticleAway, it is great and could help solve your problem.
Unfortunately using another brand at work isnt an option for me and i do end up coming back to the cuticles a second and sometimes a third time. I do only cut dead skin. Just cant get them tidy looking.

If you can’t use cuticle away I suggest soaking in water or using an efile.
Just place one hand in water the moment your client sits down and let it soak while you prepare your tools or as she chooses a colour. Then remove from water, apply biosculpture cuticle remover and start cleaning and during that time have the second hand soak. It will do a tremendous difference to your work
I would love to use an efile but i definately wont be allowed to at work. For gels we dont soak the hands as per biosculptures instructions. As for regular manis, i have to stick to salon procedure and that is to soak both hands together first then remove large bowl from table, but there just isnt enough time to leave them soaking for more than a minute or 2

Unfortunately using another brand at work isnt an option for me and i do end up coming back to the cuticles a second and sometimes a third time. I do only cut dead skin. Just cant get them tidy looking.

Have you spoken to your boss about it? Maybe they can offer advice and show you how they do it ?

Latest posts

Back