Still stuck with Poppits

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lana-Jayne

Reaction score
Hi I know I've posted about this before but I'm still not getting it. I've read the tutorials,watched you tube videos and read the whole thread on Poppits. Am I just supposed to use one bead and leave the majority of it in the apex area then take it out for the sidewalls and the cuticle area?any help would be appreciated think Im just being thick x

Sent from my HTC One X using SalonGeek

Have you read my tutorial .. it is pretty clear I think how to proceed.

http://www.salongeek.com/nail-application/63349-popits-step-easy-step.html

The images show how to make a sculpted nail in the PopIt so obviously you would use two beads for that one white and one pink.

Otherwise you can do a one colour overlay over a natural nail or a tipped nail. For this I would use one large slightly wetter-than-normal bead of the size you would use on a normal nail. You DO NOT fill the PopIt.

I had a go with the Poppits the shape was lovely but I found that the l&p didn't stick to the nail at the cuticle area I had to file it down and fill it in myself. Do you have any idea why this might be Geeg?

I had a go with the Poppits the shape was lovely but I found that the l&p didn't stick to the nail at the cuticle area I had to file it down and fill it in myself. Do you have any idea why this might be Geeg?

Oh yes!

You need to apply the right pressure and keep your thumb moving around on the top of the PopIt to make sure the product is pressed well on to the nail ... Just like you have to do when you use your brush with the normal application,

Sorry to jump in on this thread but am really intrigued by PopIts.
I don't want to use them on people (yet!) as I'm newly qualified to gel and acrylic so have got a lot of practise with the traditional method to go yet but I'm wondering if they would be a good way to do my own nails?
I can do my right hand beautifully but am never quite happy with my left (I'm a leftie) and know that my own nails are my own publicity so didn't know whether to try them out?
Where do you get them from?
Thanks and apologies again for jumping in :o
xx

I love poppits they are great on nail biter or those that have a low free edge like myself.

I had to play around abit before it was perfected.

I measure the nail up against the clients nail and I mark with a felt pen where I want the white free edge to start.

I then take a bead of white acrylic and sculpt a smile line turn over and look at both sides because you can get a better picture of what it will look like on your client.

I the place that down in front of me and measure up another nail sometimes completing the white and the smile line.

By this time the white on the first one has started to dry I do this as when you place the pink on and the press on to the nail they bleed together. This is probably not the way to do it but it works really well for me.

So I then get a bead of Pink in sheer or opaque dependant on whether you are trying to disguise any imperfections. This bead is often wetter than the white bead. I then press on to the nail close to cuticle area but not touching just as you normally would.
I sometimes find that I get seepage from the sides so I use a metal cuticle remover tool one that has a small hook on it. I turn the finger over and remove any excess that might seep out underneath.
Just remember to keep holding the poppit onto nail whilst you are doing this.
I normally do a whole hand before I pop them off. You do need to wait until acrylic is set as you won't get the shine if you take them off to soon.

I just tidy up the sides file the nail to required length, then I use an e file and file underneath the free edge making sure it is smooth and not to thick.

I hope this has helped you don't despair I practiced for ages and worked out a method that was good for me with the desired results.

Pippa

Oh yes lunaberry great for doing you own I often wear them as they are quick to do.

But keep practicing doing your other hand as well as it does get better.
I'm often commented on especially when they realise I do my own.
My nails are my advertisment so I try to keep them looking gorgeous.

Pippa

As to where you buy the proper popits are from CND and sweet squared but you can buy similar cheaper brands of yes that site everyone seems to hate eBay they are called nail forms/popits.

The Edge sell a knock off version. Better those than to buy off fleabay! And cheaper.

Thanks Pippa and Gigi!
Might get myself some to have a play with. Getting nail trainer in few weeks for my birthday so its going to be practise practise all the way!
Good advice though Pippa and will still keep going on my own hands both ways but will be good if can master the PopIts and they make left hand bit easier for now while i'm still trying to wow people with my nails! ;)
how do the PopIts work with infills?
thanks again x

Thanks Pippa and Gigi!
Might get myself some to have a play with. Getting nail trainer in few weeks for my birthday so its going to be practise practise all the way!
Good advice though Pippa and will still keep going on my own hands both ways but will be good if can master the PopIts and they make left hand bit easier for now while i'm still trying to wow people with my nails! ;)
thanks again x

They are best infilled by hand for a month or three, and then soak off and start again.

They are best infilled by hand for a month or three, and then soak off and start again.

Thanks will try them!

Hi Lunaberry

I find it depends on when your clients come back. I had one lady that used to leave it weeks and weeks before she came back. Which was such a pain.

I file the thickness down and blend the seam line.
If you don't take down the thickness they look thick and ugly. I just practiced and practiced some more using my own nails.

Good luck x

Hi I know I've posted about this before but I'm still not getting it. I've read the tutorials,watched you tube videos and read the whole thread on Poppits. Am I just supposed to use one bead and leave the majority of it in the apex area then take it out for the sidewalls and the cuticle area?any help would be appreciated think Im just being thick x

dont mean to sound thick but "what the heck are popits" to me the pics just look like full nail tips ie similar to the stick on things from superdrug.

for nail biters and ppl with short free edge i sculpt cover pink or use natural tips with cover pink. hiding all imperfections and short regrowth of clients nails xx

How long do they last and do u stick them to your nail whilst the acrylic is wet no glue needed ?

Quick question....are popits considered a cheats way to doing acrylics? Would a client feel that they were unprofessional if you used them as they are not as popular as normal sculpting and doing acrylics with tip? Where can they be bought from? I struggle with acrylics and don't get the results I really would like. I'm wondering if using popits for a while would give me confidence and help me with the correct shape and thickness. Any extra info would be very gratefully received....thank you :D

Quick question....are popits considered a cheats way to doing acrylics? Would a client feel that they were unprofessional if you used them as they are not as popular as normal sculpting and doing acrylics with tip? Where can they be bought from? I struggle with acrylics and don't get the results I really would like. I'm wondering if using popits for a while would give me confidence and help me with the correct shape and thickness. Any extra info would be very gratefully received....thank you :D

Hello :)

I use them on awkward nails - e.g deep ridges, nail biters.

They save so much time and less dust when filing. They are fantastic for doing your own plus you can fill in with them.

Get a cheap set on eBay. Practise on yourself then see if you would like to get the more expensive ones. To be honest you will get many sets from the ones on eBay they are not any different from the expensive ones.

Clients are more impressed with the time saved and finished product

X

Surrey Girl through and through x

Thanks Pippa and Gigi!
thanks again x

Infill is easy - no need to traditional fill.

Prep as you would, measure the correct form, place a bead of acrylic at the base of the form, press on, set, done x

Surrey Girl through and through x

I've found the poppet too big a little for my finger it squelches out round edges ??

I've found the poppet too big a little for my finger it squelches out round edges ??

When you say squelches out, do you mean that the L&P squelches out when you apply onto the nail? If so you are putting to much onto the poppit and need to use less.

You can trim the poppit to correctly tailor it to your nail size and shape, if that is your only issue

Latest posts

Back