Stingy Easter.. am I being mean?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

staceymackey

Reaction score
So last year my son ate chocolate for 2 months straight following Easter. I hardy gave him anything, because of all of the eggs he recieved from extended family. It was crazy, $100's of dollars in chocolate for a two year old! Lovely and kind, but crazy.

This year I made the call early - if you want to give him something for easter, we would prefer something he needs. The easter bunny will be giving him a bunny, a humpty and an egg. As well as leaving a trail out into the garden which we will have to hunt for. Aslo, books, pjs and toy cars. I think that is MORE than enough for a small child.

However, some family members have decided to not give anything if they aren't giving chocolate. Or to just ignore the request lol. Others ran with it and took the time to write him letters and send pictures, which he really loved.

Now I'm left feeling a little bit "mean". If I had my way he would have recieved only one bunny and the rest of the day just family day under the sprinkler with a bbq lunch.

Does anybody else do an 'alternative' Easter? Any advice for coming years greatly appreciated!

My grandson is 17 months old & I have bought him clothes. I think has getting one egg, which is more than enough at that age. All the family are getting a small toy or clothes. :biggrin:

I'm with you on this!! When my girls were 2 they had so many easter eggs it was ridiculous, then when they're brother came along the next year the house was full of Easter eggs, so since splitting from their dad, they get 1 small egg from me and this year I've bought them all the muppet movies on DVD my family have bought them a small egg each and then clothes or a couple of small toys but I know when they go to their dads they will be inundated with chocolate, and as far as I'm concerned that's his problem!! Also the eggs the kids are having this year I bought when they were reduced last year! I made sure they would still be in date, I know it's cheating but they're so flipping expensive!!!

I buy mine DVDs every Easter, this year it's the Harry Potter box set on Blu ray.

Easter is the one holiday I'm not keen on, I get sick of hearing 'can I eat some chocolate now'.

My sisters little boy is only 6months so I've bought him a couple of tops.

So last year my son ate chocolate for 2 months straight following Easter. I hardy gave him anything, because of all of the eggs he recieved from extended family. It was crazy, $100's of dollars in chocolate for a two year old! Lovely and kind, but crazy.

This year I made the call early - if you want to give him something for easter, we would prefer something he needs. The easter bunny will be giving him a bunny, a humpty and an egg. As well as leaving a trail out into the garden which we will have to hunt for. Aslo, books, pjs and toy cars. I think that is MORE than enough for a small child.

However, some family members have decided to not give anything if they aren't giving chocolate. Or to just ignore the request lol. Others ran with it and took the time to write him letters and send pictures, which he really loved.

Now I'm left feeling a little bit "mean". If I had my way he would have recieved only one bunny and the rest of the day just family day under the sprinkler with a bbq lunch.

Does anybody else do an 'alternative' Easter? Any advice for coming years greatly appreciated!

Please don't feel mean...

My son was born in the January so by the time his first Easter came he would have been 4 months max.

We specifically said NO chocolate because he was under 6 months old and people STILL bought him an egg.

I got told to stop being so stupid as it's white chocolate to which I replied he's 4 months old and only just started weaning! Then you get that 'knowing' smile (the really condescending one that says you haven't got a clue as he's your first and I've had 4 kids so I know better look)... Ad nauseam!

Easter is something I've never bothered with unless I specifically visit a house with kids at that time and then I don't even ask, they get a £5 in an Easter card.

My son is 3 now and has 3 Easter Eggs in the cupboard already and a bag of treasure hunt eggs and a present which he can open on Sunday. These are all from the dads side of family and a friend as all my family are in London.

My mum would have asked and I'd have said don't worry, put it toward Christmas and my dad probably would have bought books or a toy even though I tell him not to spoil my son. But that's also reflective of their incomes.

Easter time for me, is about Good Friday. My time to reflect on my beliefs as a Catholic (and not a very good one) then its about Easter Monday for the same reasons. It's not about eggs!

Although, the reason behind it is the celebration being successful in giving something up for Lent therefore rewarding ourselves.

I am so broke at the moment, I haven't bought my son anything at all for a Easter. Haven't even discussed it with his dad yet because I can't be bothered to be honest.

It's been 6 weeks and 1 day since I opened my 'salon' and between that and all my bills, I am proper on the floor moneywise.

Instead, I'm going to do as much free fun stuff with little man over the weekend as I can.

Eggs last 2 minutes. Memories last a lifetime.

H x

I also do the same iv bought my little boy two DVDs and some summer clothes a d my daughter some summer clothes she's only 15months. My parents and parent inlaws also do the same and but them an outfit. They get so much of other people and I know my little boy is happier with a DVD then loads of eggs. Iv bought a few little eggs to hunt for. Don't feel mean I think your doing the rite thing x

I have 4 kids and we have had the situation in past years where the kids got sooo many eggs and chocolate bars/bunnies etc... that we still had chocolate left the following year :eek: they were having chocolate weekly (bowl of chocolate every Fri night when we had cinema night lol)

I just kept mentioning that the kids were still eating easter eggs whenever I was around anyone that had bought them chocolate. I think they all got the message as the year after they got money, clothes, dvd's, colouring books & pens, arts & crafts things, toys and other sweets and NO CHOCOLATE lol.

Now I get them all 1 egg each and then dvd's, craft stuff and books.

It is not nasty, selfish, unfair, childish, mean or any other negative 'name' that people come up with, you have to look after your little ones health and too much chocolate is just not good for them.

Chin up and be strong, know you are doing the right thing. :Love:

I never really was fussed over Easter, I liked an egg, but iv never been a sweet eater. Give me nuts or seeds instead. I'd say an egg off mum and dad an possibly grandparents (2/3 in total) is more than enough. I'm from a large family (18 cousins and 47 2nd cousins) so we don't egg swap. I think a afternoon finding boiled egg's then painting them, sticking thread on and hanging them on a branch of a "easter tree" is more fun than stuffing yourself with chocolate until your sick xoxo

You can all send your kids spare eggs over to me if you like? I'm on weight watchers so chocolate is banned from my house at the moment! *sob*

I'm pretty sure i could make room somewere for a little choccy egg stash though ;) lol x

Me and my friends used to give each others kids eggs and it got ridiculous, we dont bother now, I get my boys an egg each and the grandson is only 2 so he gets a very small egg and clothes or money.

my friend has 3 kids and one year they had 46 eggs between them......................hello!!!!

why would anybody need so many easter eggs!!!!

i get one of my mum and dad and a tiny kinder egg kind of thing of my grandparents and that all ive ever had, buying so much chocolate for kids at easter is pointles!!
xxx

I'm so glad there are so many people out there not going ott, it makes me feel less guilty.

I think because I grew up very overweight I am sensitive to passing on bad habits to my son. We always had a crazy easter. Also being single parent household, sometimes I feel the urge to overcompensate. Silly I know!

I will definitely be getting into some craft projects (never heard of an Easter tree, but love!). Thanks for sharing.

Off to mow the lawn for family BBQ breaky! Xx

I'm so glad there are so many people out there not going ott, it makes me feel less guilty.

I think because I grew up very overweight I am sensitive to passing on bad habits to my son. We always had a crazy easter. Also being single parent household, sometimes I feel the urge to overcompensate. Silly I know!

I will definitely be getting into some craft projects (never heard of an Easter tree, but love!). Thanks for sharing.

Off to mow the lawn for family BBQ breaky! Xx

I was very over weight too when young, so too much chocolate was a no go area!

And a easterntree can be what you want it to be, I used to have a branch of a tree and would paint it before te egg's. Or pipe cleaners twisted together would do it, but cheaper would be a branch, dig a hole put the branch in, till it back up and secure in place with the door.

It was things like that that's made me have a crystal tree in my garden (again a branch sprayed silver, got a broken chandelier, took off all the droplets and looped them on the twigs of the branch. No1 I know has a tree that grows crystals) xoxo

Not quite as creative as a crystal tree, but we tried. Next year maybe! Happy Easter geeks! Xx

Attachments

• ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1333806812.494796.jpg
    ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1333806812.494796.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 25
When I was young I used to ask for a single or an album for Easter as I wasn't that keen on all the chocolate eggs and would only eat what was inside most of the time and that was a tradition that stuck throughout the years.

Nowadays, more than a couple/3 eggs is unnecessary imo.

Latest posts

Back