Stop Unwanted Advertising/Marketing Calls

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

weegirl

Reaction score
It's not often I post here, but I have noticed regular threads about people getting cold calls from advertising and marketing companies.

If you are UK based, you can register with the Telephone Preference Service. This is a free service that can be accessed at tpsonline.org.uk, business, residential and mobile numbers can all be blocked from these companies. You can also register your fax number at the fax preference site to stop all of those unwanted 'hilarious prank call' faxes and the like that pile up on your desk overnight wasing your ink.

It won't stop marketing calls coming from outside of the UK, but these are few and far between anyway. 99% of my rubbish calls were cut out within 28 days. I did get one last week, and when I questioned as to how he got my number as I am registered with the TPS and he should be aware that he was breaking the law and could incur his company a huge fine, he went silent and dropped the phone. That was the last I heard of them.

I did get one last week, and when I questioned as to how he got my number as I am registered with the TPS and he should be aware that he was breaking the law and could incur his company a huge fine, he went silent and dropped the phone. That was the last I heard of them.
It's the individual who gets fined, not the company!
It used to scare the pants off me when I worked for a major health insurer in the UK some years ago, we had a computerised system and every month the TPS disc would be uploaded, we had to do a TPS check before making the call and occasionally I was impatient and the phone would be ringing before the check was done... I've phoned TPS registered businesses a few times only to ask if Polly is there (knowing full well it was wrong) lol.

It takes 28 days from registering until your details appear on the TPS database.

One thing I'm unsure of is this... if you advertise in Yellow Pages are you still eligible for TPS registration?

Latest posts

Back