Stopping self employed renting a chair in salons?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

x.x.kelly

Nailjunkie
Reaction score
Hi basically I have a friend who's wanting to go self employed in a salon however her boss has told her that inland revenue are stopping hairdressers being self employed in salons? Is this true? Never heard of it but thinking is she being lied to :/ xx

Load of rubbish as far as I'm aware, but to be certain, best to check with hmrc!

I haven't heard a thing.

What they are and have always clamped down on are the bosses who call people self employed and then dictate hours, salary, uniform, etc.

But it's always best to hear it from the horses mouth - best speak with hmrc :)

Sent from my GT-N7100 using SalonGeek mobile app

Ok I will do thanks also if you rent a chair in a salon so you have to follow there prices ?

If you are self employed you can set your own prices, the salon has no bearing on this at all.

I don't think HMRC are stopping self-employed in salons. What they are targeting and clamping down on, or so I believe, are salons that are VAT registered. They should be adding VAT to invoices for self-employed people and declaring it. From my understanding some salons use the self-employed route as a way of getting out of paying VAT.

Therefore, if the salon is VAT registered any self-employed people will have VAT added to their bill.

This is how I understand it but I am sure a more knowledgeable Geek will come along and advise accordingly.

Ok that's great and so technically every stylist in one salon can have there own price list different to each other? X

Basically yes, everything that you would do if you had your own business to run. All you are doing is renting a space. Plus if the salon owners rent or lease the property you need to ensure they can rent out. It's called sub-letting and a lot of leaseholders are not permitted to do this, they need permission from their landlord.

Latest posts

Back