Stormin in Sarasota

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Geek

Grand Master Geek
Premium Geek
Reaction score
HowdA All,

Just popped in whilst we have electricity (maybe until tomorrow afternoon) to say Mrs Geek, the Geeklins and I have been having a fab time in Sarasota, however the weather here has gone pants.
Yes, we are smack dab on the landing point for hurricane Charlie.

We have spent the afternoon getting supplies and securing the yard. My parents (who have been out visiting us for a week) have been evacuated off of Long Boat Key so they are sheltering here.

The storm should develop into a category 3 hurricane by tomorrow morning with winds of up to 130 MPH. We shall assess the situation bright and early to figure if we are going to do a runner to SE Florida. Problem is, everyone and their dog will be as well.
I am sure we are more than safe here, but with geeklins; it makes you a little more reluctant to take any chances. Plus, power will most likely be off for several days. That means no AC!!!! :D

O well... Whats a vacation without a touch of adventure? ;)

nJoy

I'm just a bit north of you in Pasco County and we've had a heck of a time getting everything we want and need! Managed to secure the necessary libations though! If you have no electric, what else can ya do but enjoy some cocktails?! (wink) Looks like we're going to avoid mandatory evacuation, barely, but it's scary! We'll hope for the best and weather the storm...thinking of you and the mini-geeks! It'll be an experience, in any case! Warm wishes, and dry thoughts...
jus2kewt in Florida

well sam if it makes you feel any better we are having awful weather here aswell :) it hasnt thundered and lightened like it for years , hope it dont get too bad for ya love dee

My Dad and Stepmum live in Venice, so you all won't be out of my thoughts, good luck!

Love

Hi Sam Samantha n children hope all is goin ok stay safe n well, no whats its like when we were in florida fwe years back we got hurricane and its one of the most scariest things when storm has passed enjoy the rest of yoyr hols take care stay safe

Oh I hope the storm passes quickly and that you can all enjoy a bit of a holiday xx

Oh Dear I know how you feel the last two trips to the old USA for me were plagued by firstly Hurricane Andrew then Hurricane Flloyd's

:lol: I think I darn't risk it again for bringing another one with me...

I am sure you guys will still have fun all the same....

Well by the time you read this hopefully you are back to having beautiful sunshine...hope things didn't get too bad and you are all safe and well...enjoy the rest of your holiday :) xxx We were caught out at sea during a mega storm in Turkey one year...terrifying at the time but we look back now laughing and thinking WOW what an adventure LOL

Oh no! I've just heard about this, people we know have just gone to Florida about two days before it all started! Here's hoping it doesn't last too long! You should still have a good time despite the weather! Well i suppose it's an adventure for the kids! Hopefully it will all blow over soon! No pun intended!;)
Take care

My son is off there with his farther in a few weeks err not good..
My parents were out there 5 years ago and they caught the tail end of one and had to stay in hotel for two days, but my mum advises me that its the Florida Keyes that get hit the worst Florida(Disney Resort) just get the tail end..(i hope)..
Do let us know guys if its anywhere you..
and take care..

Hey Mr Geek!!
I started a thread on this earlier & then saw that you had one going so I've just copied & pasted what I put in that tthread.

I saw on the news this morning that you've got a scale 3 hurricane, Charlie I think, heading your way. Hope you, Mrs Geek & all your little ones are nailed down to something or maybe you're going to have your very own adventure over the rainbow!! If that's the case can you ask the Wizard of Oz for some Gucci shoes - that's what my heart desires!!!!!

Speaking of bad weather, did anyone see GMTV this morning? I love the way they hear there's a scale 3 hurricane on it's way to Florida so what do they do? Send a reporter to stand right where it's headed!! I especially liked the stormy sea report from their weather girl a few weeks back who nearly got swept out to sea by a huge wave. I hope they're paid well!!

Samuel and the family (including his parents who are visiting from Salt Lake) have all evacuated to Miami to ride out he storm.

My brothers house is surrounded by big trees hundreds of years old, and they are all frightened there could be some major damage if limbs get blown off so they have taken the safer option for the moment. He lives right in Sarasota where this baby is supposed to 'land'. What a way to add adventure to your holiday.

Anyway, hopefully they are in a safer place right now than Sarasota. If not for them, keep your fingers crossed for my brother!!!

geeg said:
Samuel and the family (including his parents who are visiting from Salt Lake) have all evacuated to Miami to ride out he storm.

My brothers house is surrounded by big trees hundreds of years old, and they are all frightened there could be some major damage if limbs get blown off so they have taken the safer option for the moment. He lives right in Sarasota where this baby is supposed to 'land'. What a way to add adventure to your holiday.

Anyway, hopefully they are in a safer place right now than Sarasota. If not for them, keep your fingers crossed for my brother!!!
fingers and toes crossed...hopefully it will go back out to sea like Flloyd did in 1999

geeg
so glad to hear that the geeks have decided to take the safer option, i've been worried about them.
if the children hadn't been there, i bet they wouldn't have been able to drag samuel away!!
hope all stays well with your brother, has he had much of this b4?
liza x

Hey Guys,

As Gigi mentioned, we are now down in Miami.
I awoke this morining at 3:30am to serious thunder and such so I turned on the news to see what was up.
After ages, I started calling about and I was informed that we were in a mandatory evacuation zone.
We got up, packed up, and bailed trying to avoid any traffic and finally arrived in Miami a couple hours ago.
THe wind here is bad, but not as bad as where the hurricane landed (just south of sarrasota). The winds were at 145 mph and it was upgraded to a category 4 hurricane. Last we spoke, Lyman (gigi's brother) was doing ok and it looks like he should fair OK as the hurricane is now moving inland and losing a bit of speed (now its 140 mph and headed over Arcadia), still the hurricane is producing up to 14 foot walls of water coming inland and he isnt too far from the sea.
Our fingers are crossed for him. Ill keep you posted when I can.

BTW Liza, youre right... given half the chance, Mrs Geek and I would of totally looked forward to hanging back in Sarasota. However when you are blessed with such a bunch of beautiful geeklins... you cant take stupid chances.

Take care all. Thanks for your well wishes. TIme to wish the victims of the hurricane our best now.

This is the first time in 40 years that Sarasota has taken a direct hit!

But where he lives, the islands like LongBoatKey (where I used to live) might have a completely new shape by tomorrow.

thanks for the update Sam. Dad and I have been concerned ... now I can sleep!!

So glad to hear that you have moved location. Been watching the news stories and my god looks really scary. Take care and get home safe.

Lets hope everybody will be fine and not to much damage will be done to the buildings........ But glad you made the decission to move on and out............
Houses can be rebuild but lifes are more preccious......................
So good luck and now is the time for heads down, batteries in radios at the ready .........
So our thoughts are with all you guys out there xxxx

Well by now you may all be aware that 'Claire' did a little dance step and turned in at Punta Gorda and danced her way across the state at 145mph. leaving a trail of horror in her wake. Sarasota only 45 miles away, and suspectig the worst, got off scott free with hardly even any wind or rain ... seems incredible.

My brothers son, Jon, got straight in his car and headed south to help with the rescue as a volunteer along with thousands of others. My heart goes out to all in Punta Gorda and the rest of the county.

The geeks are on their way back to Sarasota and the islands from Miami to resume their holiday in peace thank God.

Latest posts

Back