Straightening irons permanently turned naturally very curly hair straight

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

StunningO

Reaction score
Hi all,

I have been on to read some posts for a while but never needed to start a new thread until now!

I usually use GHD's, but have been asked by lots of clients repeatedly about which other straighteners are near enough as good as them but less expensive. So last week I decided to purchase some others to see how they compared, I used them on myself and found they were actually extremely good!
I used them on my mums hair at the weekend for a wedding to curl it (she has naturally very curly hair, so wanted slightly looser curls for a change) Got brilliant results from the straighteners, very pleased.

However, she washed her hair 2 days later (by this time her hair had gone straight) and her natural curls have not reformed it has stayed straight! In a panic she rang me, and came over so I could wash her hair with my deep cleansing shampoo, a few of the curls did reform but most did not, I washed it again for her the next day aswell and the same not all the curls have reformed! (Just to add I have styled my mums hair in this way before with no prolems at all)

I have rung the company and in the process of sending the straighteners to them for analysis and pictures of my mums normal hair and how it is now, although as I said to them even if the straighteners were faulty I cant see how it could permanently change the structure of the hair!

I have just never heard of this or come across anything like this happening over the 10 years I have been a hairdresser! and wondered if anyone else has?

Thanks,

StunningO

Hairflair'xo

Reaction score
What straighteners were they? I'd love my curly hair to be permently straight haha! Very strange though don't understand it at all! Xxx

babychops

Reaction score
Sounds weird! I don't see how straighteners could do that?! X

Rachul123

Reaction score
I can see how it can happen over time (and damage) but once!? Will be following this thread to see if anybody has a clue!! X

Nats10

Reaction score
That Is strange hope you get it sorted..

StunningO

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies,
I shall keep the name of the straighteners held back until I hear back from the analysis! I have spoken to all past colleagues and everyone is just as stumped as I am!
Her normal hair has still not returned after more washes! I may send her to see a trichologist to get their view on things.

I shall keep you all posted!

x

Jaksnip

Reaction score
I like coroliss! We have them at college, they are very good.

ta104

Reaction score
That happened to me with GHDs, but after prolonged use, I assumed it was caused due to damage.

I have since had a serious trim (my hair was quite long) and the curl returned.

Sent from my ME371MG using SalonGeek mobile app

littlemissm

Reaction score
I have only seen this happen with over straightening. I know a few people with Very curly Afro type hair who have over straightened there hair & when they wash it it just kinks no actual curl. The new growth of hair is very curly like there original hair. This is the reason I only allow my daughter who is mixed race to oy do hers once a month.

Latest posts