Strand Test- Hairdresser Help Please

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jospurs

Reaction score
Hi

I am just doing a strand test on my own hair and it is going light but how do I know the actual colour it will be when it dry cause at the moment with the developing creme on it looks blonde but it is wet, How do I know the true colour as it goes trough the colour change. Hope this doesnt sound too confusing.

Any ideas.

Jo x

Hi

I am just doing a strand test on my own hair and it is going light but how do I know the actual colour it will be when it dry cause at the moment with the developing creme on it looks blonde but it is wet, How do I know the true colour as it goes trough the colour change. Hope this doesnt sound too confusing.

Any ideas.

Jo x

Hi jospurs, to see the true colour scrape the colour of it with the back of your comb and rub it nearly dry with a piece of cloth , this way you will see the true colour come through,

keep pulling the hair between finger and thumb to test its elasticity and if it breaks or feels like stretchy jelly then the colour shouldn't be placed on this area of the hair.

if the condition is ok and it needs a little longer just cover it back up with the colour and process it further
keep track of the timings and write all the results down on a client record card
clearly stating what colour and strength developer was used , date and sign it .

With blonde hair try to lift blonde hair to a nice creamy blonde like the inside of a banana skin or to what it looks like on the shade chart .

if you are using a blonde tint with a tone in it you must wait for the lift to take place first after that the tone will start to deposit and you will see the tint altering towards the shade you chose eg; gold or ash ect

let the tone develop fully according to instructions ,
because if you wash it off too soon the tone will be lost and brassiness can occur,

when toning highly bleached , porous, or highly lightened hair , never take an ash through the ends (in case of grab ) always swap over to a natural in the same level .

eg for toning the mid lengths and ends
an 8/1 or 9/1 will get rid of unwanted brassy tones on the roots but then swap over to an 8/0 or 9/0 for the mid lengths and ends ,

Ps Ive added more as it may help others too,
hope this made sense :hug: x minky

Hi Minky

I wish you were nearer. I need help! LOL My hair has gone a strawberry blonde. I was getting highlights done at the salon but wasn't happy with the result so tried to do it myself today. OMG what am I going to do? If I get an appointment tomorrow do you think they will be able to fix?

For others that are thinking of dying their brown/blonde highlight hair blonde, leave it to the professionals or your end up looking like me LOL :)

Hi Minky

I wish you were nearer. I need help! LOL My hair has gone a strawberry blonde. I was getting highlights done at the salon but wasn't happy with the result so tried to do it myself today. OMG what am I going to do? If I get an appointment tomorrow do you think they will be able to fix?

For others that are thinking of dying their brown/blonde highlight hair blonde, leave it to the professionals or your end up looking like me LOL :)

Oh dear, I thought you were training in hairdressing :confused: ,

dont worry too much I am sure they will be able to rescue it for you

anyway Im glad you have warned everyone about home doing home colours.
as you said,
leave it to the professionals :hug: x

Hi Minky

No I was playing about with my own hair, lucky it doesnt look too bad. I might just wear a scarf to the hairdressers though! :)

o dear!! It obviously wasnt lifted enough!! hehe, im sure a pro can fix it for you......

Latest posts

Back