Strange Polish (technique) request

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deanosnana

Premium Geek
Reaction score
Evening, all! I was at the assisted living facility today doing manis and had a strange request. The client (90+ years old, hard of hearing) wanted OPI's Holy Pink Pagoda BUT she wanted me to swipe the polish OFF the free edge exposing the white tip of her natural nail. Has anyone ever heard of this? She told me actresses wore this look way back when.

I was trying to figure out the look she was going for...maybe a french, I thought. NO, she wanted Holy Pink Pagoda with the free edge showing. I explained that if I took off the polish, I would probably be taking off the base coat, too, and the polish wouldn't last as long.

We compromised on me painting the free edge white. I have to be honest...it looked like cr*p and I'd be embarassed to claim I did those nails. BTW, she loved them. :eek:

Does anyone know what look she was trying to achieve?

Many thanks for your help/advice! :hug:

Yes i do- at one time and back in fashion again, the look was to leave the lunula,half moon area clear of polish.Half moons are not so visible anymore except perhaps on thumbs!
The fashion then evolved to the reverse- leave the free edge clear of polish!
To do this use a veneer on the free edge-anything, sculpting form ,sellotape etc ,paint the nail,then peel off veneer-when colour is nearly dry.It can leave a bit of a step,if you know what i mean?
Now i would think that Geeg would possibly know(not suggesting that shes 90!lol)this trend and the best way to acheive it.
I agree its not the nicest look unless you have perfect,clean white free edges:twisted: but if it takes this lady back to her heyday-who knows this is probably next seasons hottest look!

Oh wow that sounds so interesting! Can anyone find pictures of these nails?

Ohhhhh those things! I had no idea they were called moon manicures. In Japanese we just call them "Deep French". I googled some more on my own, and I actually like the idea of having the lunula AND free edge white. I'm getting some cool ideas from that :D

I believe it was called a Gatsby. The free edge and moons were left white.

It was a way of enhancing the natural whiteness of the free edge and moon by only painting the nail bed a bit pinker.

They did not have white paint for nails way back when and this method made the natural nail look whiter and more prominent.

It can look pretty but I would not take the colour over the whole of the free edge and only swipe and tidy the smile line with a brush and some Nail Fresh which would eliminate any step and also be quicker.

Thank you all for your help. You REALLY do learn something new every day!

Geeg, I would just paint the polish but not all the way down to the free edge? Then just tidy up the 'smile' with Nailfresh? I think that'll look MUCH better than what I did end up doing!

Thanks! :hug:

Thank you all for your help. You REALLY do learn something new every day!

Geeg, I would just paint the polish but not all the way down to the free edge? Then just tidy up the 'smile' with Nailfresh? I think that'll look MUCH better than what I did end up doing!

Thanks! :hug:
You got it , Nana!! :hug:

Latest posts

Back